Tips on the Wilderness Lodge anyone?

magicwand

I am booked but would love to hear more if anyone has been to the WL before. Any tips, suggestions, or general comments please let me know. TIA:wave:

tigsmom

Oh, you will absolutely love the Wilderness--we've been staying there for years and have a hard time even thinking about other resorts! It's truly fabulous, with great theming, restaurants and transportation options to the parks. One tip--the Electrical Water Pageant runs nightly on Seven Seas Lagoon/Bay Lake and you can catch it from the hotel...it's quirky in a very Disney sort of way! We're going back in September and are looking forward to "coming home"! Enjoy!

Yep us too! We try other places, but keep coming back to the WL

The EWP is VERY loud so if you have sensitive ears do not see it from the beach, the overlook above the lobby (both inside & out) is a better choice... we learned this the hard way.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

Wilderness Lodge is my favorite (obviously), there are so many wonderful benefits. The boat ride is so charming and can feel romantic, no matter how many other people are on it. The pool system is beautiful - the hot springs inside the lobby lead to a waterfall outside that feeds into the pool. When my sister and I were little, my parents let us go to the gift shop or to the snack cafe by ourselves which was VERY special. My parents felt very safe letting us do that at Disney. After a long day at the park it feels so good to crab a rocking chair at the fireplace and relax. One of the best things about WL is that it's upscale yet still casual and comfortable.

Cannot tell you how many times I have come into the lobby to see people sleeping on the big leather couches! We always let our kids go to the Mercantile & Roaring Forks by themselves as well and that is something we could not do at the Poly or Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

stillgoofy

Please explain. Not sure what that is.:veryconfu

The "flag family" gets to go up to the roof of Wilderness Lodge in the morning and raise the flags for the day. It is a small ceremony for just your family and you can get tons of pictures up there. You can check at the front desk when you check-in to see if any days are available for your vacation. I was always told you have to ask at check-in but when we went in December, they said we could have called ahead to try to book it so I'm not sure about that. We still haven't done it yet, but we did get invited up to the roof for a private fireworks viewing for just my daughter and I. It was very cool.

Check out this page for more info: http://allears.net/acc/faq_wl10.htm

Upvote 0

Ransom

The Wilderness Lodge is awesome. :)

If you're not able to fit the tour into your schedule, at least take time to walk around. Look at the artwork and Native American artifacts in the Lodge. Go upstairs to the hallways that face the lobby -- there's more up there (plus some really nice reading nooks).

Follow the stream from its source in the lobby to where it joins the lake. Watch the geyser. Listen to the boats whistle as they come and go.

Go to the Villas building and check out the lobby and adjacent Iron Spike room (where there are some nice pictures of Walt Disney as well as a few cars from his backyard train set).

If you're feeling adventuresome, rent some boats at Grand Teton and tour Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. Or rent bikes there and go over to Fort Wilderness (you can get there by boat as well). If you schedule a meal at Trail's End, you won't be disappointed. It's a hidden gem of good, down-home food and the Fort Wilderness Settlement is fun to walk around and explore.

You can head the other way to the Contemporary (your other neighbor), where you can explore the Grand Canyon Concourse and have a meal at the Wave -- a really nice sit-down restaurant that offers some creative dishes at a reasonable (for WDW) price. Then hop on the monorail and tour the other resorts on the line. Get off at the Poly, walk through to the TTC, and get a ride to Epcot for that wonderful view you get when going 'round the circle.

Come back to the TTC, get on the ferry, and head over to MK just for the fun of it. Then get a boat back to the Lodge, where you may want to have a meal at Whispering Canyon (if you're in the mood for a rambunctious atmosphere) or Artist Point (if you're more into a quiet meal). But before you have that meal, send the kids to Buttons and Bells while you grab a drink at the Territory Lounge. Don't forget to look up while you're there!

After dinner, go out to the beach and watch the Electric Water Pageant and Wishes -- always a great end to a day at the resort. On your way back, look back at the Lodge from near the geyser -- notice anything? It's bear-ly possible you may see something in the design of the lodge. :)

Upvote 0
If you get a woods view room on the side facing the lake, there's a good chance you'll be able to see the MK fireworks and even the castle. Some courtyard view rooms actually face the courtyard of the Villas which are more equivalent to woods view rooms. And some woods view rooms face the roof of the bus stop and the side of the villas. Also if you like geology check out the display facing the lobby on each level of the hotel. There are also some nice lounge areas scattered throughout the lobby on various levels, some with fireplaces and some that lead to balconies on the outside.

We were lucky and got the 6th floor facing towards the MK and we got to see the fireworks every night, very slightly obstructed but it was great the kids could see them and we didn't have to fight the crowds. Very nice hotel, not my favorite but you'll enjoy it alot.

Upvote 0

I-4Warrior

Seriously, make sure your room isn't overlooking the lobby, facing Whispering Canyon. It can make for a really horrible/early/loud way to start your day. Nice place, but due to this experience, it's my least favorite Deluxe stay.

Upvote 0

boilerpicc

My family got to be the flag family one year when we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. It does book up quickly... the only day open was the day we were leaving. You have to get up pretty early to do it, but it is worth it. A cast member takes you up onto the roof in the front of the hotel where you get to raise (if I remember right) the American flag, State of Florida flag, Disney flag (?), and two Wilderness Lodge flags. While we were up there, the cast member gave us a mini-tour and was pointing out all kinds of interesting things you could see from that height. It was a neat experience, and I recommend calling ahead if that is what it takes.

Wilderness Lodge is my favorite resort. There are tons of neat nooks and crannies to explore, and the Hidden Mickey Scavenger Hunt helps you to find some of them. Also, if you have kids that don't like to sleep in the same bed, they have rooms with bunk beds there.

Upvote 0

007mickey

The "flag family" gets to go up to the roof of Wilderness Lodge in the morning and raise the flags for the day. It is a small ceremony for just your family and you can get tons of pictures up there. You can check at the front desk when you check-in to see if any days are available for your vacation. I was always told you have to ask at check-in but when we went in December, they said we could have called ahead to try to book it so I'm not sure about that. We still haven't done it yet, but we did get invited up to the roof for a private fireworks viewing for just my daughter and I. It was very cool.

Can anyone confirm this??

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
I am booked but would love to hear more if anyone has been to the WL before. Any tips, suggestions, or general comments please let me know. TIA:wave:

We loved staying here! We stayed for my birthday several years ago. We like the We did ask for our room to be changed - I think b/c we had originally asked for a higher floor, as we don't care for 1st floor rooms, and for some reason (they were sold out perhaps) they didn't have one. My DH handled check in and it was several years ago so I don't remember exactly. But the next day when we switched rooms, they were very helpful and accommodating. The only restaurant we didn't care for was the atmosphere of Whispering Canyon. We ate there on a whim and didn't get the joke until after we were seated. We were there for bfast and it was good food but it was wild! And i'm totally fine with loud and fun dining experiences but it was kind of annoying. The pool is beautiful too!!!!

Upvote 0

disneylemons

We love the WL - one of our last trips we were coming in late on the boat and the driver swung out to show us the "Bear Face" of the lodge - it was cool! I think the atmosphere there is so relaxing - and Whispering Canyon is tons of fun! My SIL tried to ruin the fun last year by getting her own ketchup...not wise.. just added to the crazyness...joke was on her for being a spoil sport!

Upvote 0

SallyShine

I love this hotel! It is my favorite, by far. It's been a few years since I've been there and I have a question. Can you use the quick service dining credits at Roaring Fork?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom