Tips for MK

Disneyrailfan1996

Original Poster
Because I’ve visited MK on my own a few times, I thought I might share a few tips that might help you out during your visit. Some advice might already be covered by other threads or other people, but I still thought I’d share some tips based on my own experience. Note that everything is sorted into different categories. Each category will have its own post to avoid making a single, VERY long post

transportation:
  • If you’re staying at the contemporary, it’s quicker to walk to the Magic Kingdom.
  • Despite the above, if you’re feeling a little tired and don’t feel like walking back to the contemporary, the monorail is going to be the most convenient since the next stop is the contemporary.
  • If you’re going to MK and you’re staying at the poly and don’t like waiting at the Grand floridian monorail station for people to board, take the boat or bus (if offered) over to the Magic Kingdom. I’d have a wheelchair or stroller that you do not wish to or cannot be folded or have an elctroc wheelchair or ECV/Scooter, it is not advisable to take the boat.
  • If there’s a long line for the express monorail and you’re heading to the Transportation and Ticket Center, take either the resort monorail (will stop at the contemporary resort first) or, if there is not a big line for it, the Ferry boat
  • If you’re at the TTC and the express monorail has a line, again, try either the resort monorail (will stop at the poly and grand Floridian first the ferry boat, likely not going to have a line.
  • Note that, at least from my experience, the express monorail does not go to the TTC in the morning, and only departs from the TTC. The resort monorail will go to the TTC during this time, however.
  • The motor Launch boats (the small boats with the awning) are not handicapped accessible (IIRC), but strollers and wheelchairs may be brought on folded. If you do not want to or cannot fold the stroller/wheelchair or have an electric wheelchair and are going to or coming from the wilderness lodge, wait for a motor cruiser (the boat that looks like a small yacht) or take the bus.

Disneyrailfan1996

Original Poster
Crowds:
  • If you arrive at least 30-60 mins., IIRC, before park opening, you may find yourself waiting just outside the entrance to Main Street USA, which would be under the train station. There might be 2 crowds there as well, one on the left-hand side of the station, and another on the right. It does not matter which side you walk through as both entranceways will lead into Main Street.
  • During the morning, before "Rope Drop" (the park's opening ceremony) folks will tend to gather around the walkways/bridges from Main Street to Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Adventureland, and Liberty square respectively. some will also gather in front of the castle to view the show. If you are trying to get to an attraction that will typically have a very long standby wait time as the day goes on, go to the crowd at the bridge leading to the land where the attraction you're trying to get to is located. If the attraction is located in Frontierland, go to the Adventureland walkway. The same goes for dining reservations although they might let you through if your reservation is before the park opens. If you prefer not to deal with crowds as you walk into the park first thing in the morning, you can board the Walt Disney World Railroad at Main Street station at the front of the park as you walk in.
  • It may be tricky to get in and out of the park during the following times before, during, and immediately after the 3:00 parade, before, during, and after fireworks, and at park close.
  • Before and During the parade if you are trying to leave the park and are at:
    • Frontierland
      • Depednding on whether or not the pararade has passed through already, you may have an easy time leaving. However if it hasn't and you are closer to adventureland, go through adventureland and over the bridge. Use the stores to avoid crowds. Once you are close to the trolley car barn, you might need to wait for the parade to go through.
      • If you're closer to big Thunder Mountain Railroad and Splash mountain, board the train at the Frontierland Station and go to Main street
    • Fantasyland
      • If you're close to Cinderella Castle make a bee-line for the fantasyland railroad station and board the train. The next stop will be Main Street.
      • If you aren't very close to Cinderella castle, but are to the Fantasyland railroad station, do the same as before.
      • If you aren't close to either, head to tomorrowland, go over the bridge and you should be fine. Honestly, Ive never been in that scenario so I can't 100% garuntee that'll work. do keep in mind that taking the train might help you beat crowds (even though it may be a little longer)
    • Main street
      • If you are close to the Main Street train station, you will most likely have the easiest time exiting
      • if you are on the right hand side of the street (when facing cinderella castle), use the shops as ways to avoid crowds you'll be able to exit easier and likely won't need to wait for the parade to pass
      • If you are on the left side of the street (again, when facing Cinderella Castle), again, use the shops as shortcuts but be advised you may need to wait for the parae to pass through.
    • Adventureland
      • See the first bullet point for frontierland
    • Liberty Square
      • if you are on the same side as the liberty tree tavern, and the diamond horshoe, walk over to the bridge that'll bring you close to the bridge to Adventureland (see the park map for better details).
      • If you are on the same side as the Rivers of america, see the first bullet point for fantasyland
    • Tomorrowland
      • See the the second bullet point for Main Street.
  • During fireworks, you will definitely have a much easier time exiting, but not exactly easy. my only advice is to go to main street, and, if it is open (that is the gate is not closed) go through the path near the Plaza Restaraunt that will take bring you next to tony's. otherwise use the shops as ways to avoid crowds.
  • during the move it shake it parade, you'll have an easier time fighting crowds as the parade is small and stops at the front of, in the center of, and at the back of main street. plus the street itself will not be roped off or crowded.
  • During your trip, be sure to be on the look out for shortcuts that can help you avoid crowds.
  • The train is also a good way to help avoid crowds. It might take longer than walking, but it seems a whole lot easier than fighting through crowds.

Disneyrailfan1996

Original Poster
Sorry for the delayed posting, but nonetheless, I'd like to continue on with my advice for the Magic Kingdom.
Accessability (see also the acessibility guide from WDW for more details):
  • Most attractions are accessible via a ramp so there is not much worry about being unable to get a scooter/ecv or wheelchair onto a ride or transferring from one; however the following attractions cannot be accessed via wheelchair at the entrance or at all (see each bullet below the attraction name for notes):
    • Space Mountain
      • There is an elevator at the exit, IIRC, consult a cast member if you are traveling in a wheelchair or ECV and cannot walk the stairs.
    • Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover
      • There is no elevator or wheelchair ramp for this attraction at the exit and entrance as you come up to and down from the platform via a ramp-style escalator. It is advisable that you can walk if you plan to experience this attraction.
    • Main Street Vehicles
      • As charming as these may be, the vehicles (Horse-drawn trolley, firetruck, omnibus, etc.) are unfortunately not handicapped accessible. nor is there likely any place to put a wheelchair.
    • Tom Sawyer Island
      • The rafts are accessble, however, the island experience is not.
    • Swiss Family Treehouse
      • There is an abbreviated experience available for those traveling in a wheelchair or ECV
  • Some attractions do have a vehicle that guests in wheelchairs or ECVS may transfer to
    • Dumbo
    • Journey of the little mermaid
    • Mad tea party
    • Seven Dwarfs mine train
  • Other attractions will permit you to remain seated in your wheelchair or ecv, but some may require you to transfer to a wheelchair from an ecv in order to ride (but will still permit you to remain seated in the wheelchair) as denoted by an asterisk (*). these include:
    • Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
    • Walt Disney World Railroad*
    • It's a Small World*
    • Jungle Cruise
  • For information regarding accessbility, please consult WDW's faq regarding disabilities and see their disability guide for the magic kingdom

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom