Tips for first timer going next week...

Crazy Harry

A friend of mine is going to all four parks next week and I am compiling some general touring tips. I haven't been in 8 years myself so I am out of touch with current touring strategies. It will be her, her boyfriend, and children 6 and 9. This is what I am suggesting, please add and edit where appropriate.

Epcot
-Ride Soarin' first or get fast pass right away and ride TT 2nd
-M:S 3rd then everything else ride as you want
-Skip Frozen
-Lunch at the Land
-Mexico not to be missed, but walk through others anyway
-Scope out spot for illuminations while touring WS, get FS dinner and sit in spot about 2 hours out

MK
-I like a left to right touring strategy, but I know there are different schools of thought
-This would be my strategy: JC, Potc(or wait till later), Splash, Big Thunder, HM (or wait), Pan, IaSW (or wait), LM, 7 Dwarfs, Pooh, check out fast pass for Space during lunch then tour Tomorrow land using FPs for Space and Buzz while doing other rides in interim.
-Go back around to do other attractions, shows, and general exploring
-Get dole whips
-Don't bother with Tom Sawyer island, more of a distraction than an attraction
-If you don't see parades use time to go on rides while waits are lower, but be mindful routes can cut you off from park areas
-decent Counter Service for meals: Village house, Pecos Bill...

Lets start with that. Any additions or addendums?

Chernaboggles

-You're more tired than you think you are and so is everyone else.
-Wear comfortable shoes, socks, and carry moleskin in case blisters start.
-DRINK MORE WATER.
-If you need a break, take a break.
-Enjoy the moment. There is literally NO WAY to see everything in one visit. Concentrate on enjoying what you're doing at the time you are doing it, rather than rushing around desperately trying to cram in more things.
-There are no bad choices at WDW. If the plan isn't working, change the plan.

Upvote 0

dm11

FP is now done through an app (My Disney Experience) on smartphone/tablet or on the web site. You absolutely want to do this as soon as possible and not wait for the day of. Given Epcot additions over the last couple of weeks (Frozen ride and M&G, new Soarin') expect crowds. I would say get Fast Passes (they are called FP+ these days, btw) tonight; the selection is probably already limited for next week and the longer they wait the worse it will get.

A few important details:
1) You can book only 3 of them upfront and they have to be at the same park.
2) Attractions at Epcot are tiered (you have 1 FP+ from Tier 1 and 2 FP+ from Tier 2). They are not tiered at MK.
3) You did not mention HS or AK. If they do go there HS is also tiered and AK is not.
4) FP+ timeslots are 1h long and they cannot overlap.
5) Once you use your last FP+ (or its time expires) you can make another one. That can be in any park if you park-hop.

Upvote 0

dm11

Here are Epcot tiers:

Tier 1: Frozen Ever After, Soarin', Living with the Land, Test Track & IllumiNations
Tier 2: M:S, Spaceship Earth, Character Spot, Nemo stuff, Figment & Pixar Short Film Festival

Out of Tier 1, using it on Living with the Land or IllumiNations would be a waste. So you want rope drop one of big 3 (I suggest TT), FP+ another (suggest Soarin') and skip the 3rd (Frozen). Frozen actually seems a very decent ride and the children's age (6 and 9) suggests they would enjoy it but I don't think you can get FP+ now and waits are horrendous, even on rope drop.

M:S may be too harsh for the kids. From Tier 2, I would suggest Spaceship Earth and Character Spot, those are most likely to save time.

If they time it right they could snag a 4th and maybe even a 5th FP+. I would think something like this:
1) Rope drop to Test Track.
2) M:S if the kids are up to it. If not then Ellen's Energy Adventure.
3) Use FP+ on Spaceship Earth.
4) Use FP+ on Character Spot.
5) Move to the 2 Nemo attractions.
6) Use FP+ on Soarin'.
7) Get 4th FP+ now. A good option at this point would be Living with the Land. Of course, if either of big 3 is available (TT or Soarin' for a repeat or suddenly Frozen has availability) that would be better choice.
8) After that it is lunch, slow tour around the world, using your 4th FP+, IlumiNations. Or mix in a long (3-4 hour) break at hotel :)

Upvote 0

dm11

At MK the big FP+ priority would be Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I would say the Mountains (Space, Splash and Big Thunder). Depending on kids, Space may be too rough.

Other attractions with long wait times where FP+ would help are Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Pan & Pooh.

If doing rope drop they could do a couple of big ones early (say, Pirates and HM or Buzz) then use FP+ on 3 big ones (7 Dwarfs + 2 Mountains). They could get a 4th one easily for later in the day then and possibly 5th one for evening.

Upvote 0

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
At MK the big FP+ priority would be Seven Dwarfs Mine Train. I would say the Mountains (Space, Splash and Big Thunder). Depending on kids, Space may be too rough.

Other attractions with long wait times where FP+ would help are Buzz Lightyear, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of Caribbean, Jungle Cruise, Pan & Pooh.

If doing rope drop they could do a couple of big ones early (say, Pirates and HM or Buzz) then use FP+ on 3 big ones (7 Dwarfs + 2 Mountains). They could get a 4th one easily for later in the day then and possibly 5th one for evening.

So crowds must be insane right now huh? In my past experiences pirates and mansion were walk ons or 30 min waits at the most due to hourly capacity.

I'm still thinking if you tour the left first and can get logical FPs for space and buzz would make sense given the other aattractions in TL, no?

Upvote 0

dm11

Just an example of crowds, here are current posted wait times for the big tickets in MK (3:30pm-ish ET):
7 Dwarfs - 70 min
Space - 85 min
Splash - 70 min
Big Thunder - 50 min
Buzz - 45 min
HM - 60 min
Pirates - 25 min
Jungle Cruise - 50 min
Pan - 85 min
Pooh - 30 min

The reality is probably 10 - 20 min less than that but still substantial.

Upvote 0

dm11

What you want to do is to get your 3 FP+ expended by noon so you can get 4th and 5th one. Rope drop while crowds are low, use your first FP+ toward the end of its window, another ride or two without FP, second FP+ toward the end of its window and then 3rd immediately at the beginning of its timeslot. If you start left (which I think is sound) you could do Pirates and Jungle Cruise first, use first FP+ on Big Thunder or Splash, do HM and one FL ride without FP+, use FP+ on 7 Dwarfs and go back to either Splash or Big Thunder for your 3rd FP+.

At that point it is probably lunch time and you can also make your 4th FP+ for the right side of the park (Space if you can, Buzz if you can't).

Another option is start in the middle instead of one of sides :). FL is packed so if you head right there you could do bunch of rides without much wait, FP+ 7 Dwarfs, do HM, FP+ Splash and Big Thunder and then walk down left side (Pirates, Jungle Cruise, etc) before lunch and moving over to the right side of the park (and utilizing 4th FP+ again).

Upvote 0

publicblast

Silly question: I'm doing a one-day trip on Friday, and the Disney website only let me choose one FP+ item. (I picked Soarin' since I actualyl like the TT preshow area and don't mind waiting too much.) Did I do it wrong?

Upvote 0

Rob562

Silly question: I'm doing a one-day trip on Friday, and the Disney website only let me choose one FP+ item. (I picked Soarin' since I actualyl like the TT preshow area and don't mind waiting too much.) Did I do it wrong?

The updated FP+ system has you make selections one at a time rather than all 3 like before.

But also Epcot has tiers, so you'll only be able to pre-book one attraction in group 1. (The Epcot tiers are listed 4 or 5 posts up in this thread)

-Rob

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

I would suggest getting a FP for Peter Pan. Lines can get quite long, and they move alowly

Upvote 0

morningstar

Like they said above with FP+, but I also like to rope-drop an E-ticket, rather than go strictly around the park in order. Why waste your first ride with almost no line on the Tiki Room? I agree with starting in the middle. In particular just start at whatever tier-1 you didn't get FP for, then proceed in either direction. When you get to Main Street, just cross.

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

A friend of mine is going to all four parks next week and I am compiling some general touring tips. I haven't been in 8 years myself so I am out of touch with current touring strategies. It will be her, her boyfriend, and children 6 and 9. This is what I am suggesting, please add and edit where appropriate.

Epcot
-Ride Soarin' first or get fast pass right away and ride TT 2nd
-M:S 3rd then everything else ride as you want
-Skip Frozen
-Lunch at the Land
-Mexico not to be missed, but walk through others anyway
-Scope out spot for illuminations while touring WS, get FS dinner and sit in spot about 2 hours out

MK
-I like a left to right touring strategy, but I know there are different schools of thought
-This would be my strategy: JC, Potc(or wait till later), Splash, Big Thunder, HM (or wait), Pan, IaSW (or wait), LM, 7 Dwarfs, Pooh, check out fast pass for Space during lunch then tour Tomorrow land using FPs for Space and Buzz while doing other rides in interim.
-Go back around to do other attractions, shows, and general exploring
-Get dole whips
-Don't bother with Tom Sawyer island, more of a distraction than an attraction
-If you don't see parades use time to go on rides while waits are lower, but be mindful routes can cut you off from park areas
-decent Counter Service for meals: Village house, Pecos Bill...

Lets start with that. Any additions or addendums?
I think your friend should get tips from someone who has been more recently. LOL

Upvote 0

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
I think your friend should get tips from someone who has been more recently. LOL

Um yeah, your comment is pretty pointless dude. That's why I'm on the forum asking for help, I stated as much. Why don't you read the post you quoted. Contribute if you want, or compensate for your deficiencies elsewhere.

And yet it seems my general suggestions are pretty sound relative to what others are saying.

Upvote 0

AndrewsJ

Um yeah, your comment is pretty pointless dude. That's why I'm on the forum asking for help, I stated as much. Why don't you read the post you quoted. Contribute if you want, or compensate for your deficiencies elsewhere.

And yet it seems my general suggestions are pretty sound relative to what others are saying.
Unfortunately you are not intelligent enough to know when someone is joking and are having a hard time accepting that fact. And as far as compensating for deficiencies take a look down and check yourself for that is where the deficiency obviously lies. In your second post you stated you were ignorant. You weren't kidding were you. You asked for suggestions and I think mine is the best answer you've gotten. Now try to chill a little. This is a Disney forum not the end of the world. It's really not that deep.

Upvote 0

Crazy Harry

Original Poster
Unfortunately you are not intelligent enough to know when someone is joking and are having a hard time accepting that fact.

Jokes are supposed to be funny, no wonder I didn't get it. :banghead:

How is it that you know I wasn't joking with my response?

What was I compensating for when I admitted ignorance and asked for help?

And how is your answer the best one I've gotten if I wasn't supposed to take it seriously? How is it a serious suggestion and a joke? Help the dumb person.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom