Tipping

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
6 because it is a significant amount of work involved while also higher risk of the tip being reduced because some of the party didn’t kick in their fair share. I worked as a server in the NYC area during the transition when this became popular. One place I worked we still had to ask the manager for approval to add it on to the check, even though it was written on the menus. You can see where this ended up. Basically profiling people at worst, and needing to weigh the risk/reward of insulting vs guaranteed payment at best. So they changed it to auto gratuity for parties of 6 or more across the board. The owners were worried automatic tip would hurt business but it didn’t. There was no increase, just the same minimal amount of scoffing at tips that happened previously anyway.

Most servers need to pay percentages out to bussers, food runners and bartenders. Sometimes beyond that, to even salad and dessert preppers, bar backs and maitre de, etc. Servers usually have many duties beside serving. Can be responsible for keeping the whole place cleaned and stocked, like bringing cases of supplies up from basement to scrubbing down everything including the windows and lighting. It varies greatly. Basically management will try to balance how much extra work will people willingly do in consideration of the tip money potential. Every place is different, by little or a lot.

Br0ckford

Yes, but why?

Why the extremely arbitrary of 6 or more? Why not 15? Or 1 or 2?

What is so magical or significant about 6 being the threshold to automatically assign 18%?

Furthermore why automatically assign a tip when that goes against the very definition of tip. Tip means a voluntary gift. But when automatically added it now is no longer a tip.
The size of the trays. A normal large size tray can comfortably accommodate 5 plates and 2 or 3 drinks. Over 5 you either have to get a follower, which pulls demand to that party, or make 2 runs from the kitchen. Mor than 5 becomes a larger burden on one server, so automatic gratuity kicks in.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, but why?

Why the extremely arbitrary of 6 or more? Why not 15? Or 1 or 2?

What is so magical or significant about 6 being the threshold to automatically assign 18%?

Furthermore why automatically assign a tip when that goes against the very definition of tip. Tip means a voluntary gift. But when automatically added it now is no longer a tip.

A tip isn't a "voluntary gift". It's counted...and reported...as wages. Gifts aren't taxed as income. Tips are as wages.

dmw

In the Parks
No
threads on tipping never end well... does not matter if it is for delivery services, grocery story carry out, dining, cruises, luggage handlers, massages, maid service, hair cuts, or helping an old lady cross the street. :(

lazyboy97o

Too narrow......

from my point of view, as one who dines rather than serves, a tip is a willful act saying I appreciate your service. It's voluntary and I offer it freely above and beyond meal charge. Hence, gift
The IRS and various departments of labor don’t care about your opinion. The additional charge for large groups is called a “service charge” for a specific reason and it’s because they are not a gift, tip, gratuity, or whatever else.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
threads on tipping never end well... does not matter if it is for delivery services, grocery story carry out, dining, cruises, luggage handlers, massages, maid service, hair cuts, or helping an old lady cross the street. :(
Damn. I am I need of serious back pay from a lot of old ladies.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Too narrow......

from my point of view, as one who dines rather than serves, a tip is a willful act saying I appreciate your service. It's voluntary and I offer it freely above and beyond meal charge. Hence, gift

The IRS doesn't care about your opinion. It's payment for a service provided and thus not voluntary under the IRC, so wages and taxable.

lazyboy97o

And I don't care about IRS definition. I neither work for the US treasury nor am I a server or own an eatery
What exactly are you looking for? You have asked questions, received answers and are now just complaining that you don’t like the answers. Were the questions rhetorical? Were you really just looking to complain about service charges and hoping people would join you in your kvetching?

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
What exactly are you looking for? You have asked questions, received answers and are now just complaining that you don’t like the answers. Were the questions rhetorical? Were you really just looking to complain about service charges and hoping people would join you in your kvetching?
Kvetching
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

BuddyThomas

Your individual server gets the entire tip.

Kitchen staff, management, dishes, etc. make higher hourly wages than the wait staff and are therefore not tipped positions.
Untrue. Servers tip out busboys, bartenders, and often food runners, sometimes the host/hostess. The tip out is based on sales, not tips that the server has received. Therefore, a server could theoretically lose money if they are not tipped properly. I was a waiter for more than 10 years after college, so I speak from experience.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Untrue. Servers tip out busboys, bartenders, and often food runners, sometimes the host/hostess. The tip out is based on sales, not tips that the server has received. Therefore, a server could theoretically lose money if they are not tipped properly. I was a waiter for more than 10 years after college, so I speak from experience.
Were you a waiter at Walt Disney World?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom