Tipping

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
For Disney dining sitdown/table service restaurants are tips be they built in(18% automatically added to bills) or actively added by customer shared equally with the entire staff at the restaurant?

Or is there a tiered system whereby the server working a specific table gets say 25% of that table's tip and the balance of it (75%) is distributed to all non servers who worked that shift?

JIMINYCR

When you are done eating and your server presents you with the bill, there will be a list at the bottom with varying percentages of what the tip can be. You choose what percentage and amount you want to leave as a tip. If you are dining in a group of I believe 6 or more then there will be an automatic tip added to the bill. For shows like Hoop de Doo where you pre pay for your experience the tip is added in. I'm not aware of the servers sharing tips with non servers.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
For Disney dining sitdown/table service restaurants are tips be they built in(18% automatically added to bills) or actively added by customer shared equally with the entire staff at the restaurant?

Or is there a tiered system whereby the server working a specific table gets say 25% of that table's tip and the balance of it (75%) is distributed to all non servers who worked that shift?
Your individual server gets the entire tip.

Kitchen staff, management, dishes, etc. make higher hourly wages than the wait staff and are therefore not tipped positions.

buckeyegator

i would hope the servers would give some to the bus boys/girls and barstaff like most servers outside disney where i have worked do. can imagine a rather hefty per hour haul based on number of tables and the total bill, after all, it is disney priced,just my opinion.

Weather_Lady

Do make sure that if you book something like Cinderella's Royal Table or Hoop-dee-doo, you make a mental note that the gratuity is included. The server may still bring you a receipt with a spot at the bottom to add [an additional] gratuity. When we ate at CRT years ago, I was horrified to learn later that an elderly family member, thinking they were doing something nice when the check arrived while I was in the restroom or otherwise not paying attention, had "covered the tip" for our party's $300+ meal, not knowing it had already been paid!

For everywhere else, though, as was indicated by other members above, if you're a party of 6 or more, the gratuity will already be added to your bill when it comes to the table. If you're dining with fewer people, you'll write in the amount yourself.

Club Cooloholic

Your individual server gets the entire tip.

Kitchen staff, management, dishes, etc. make higher hourly wages than the wait staff and are therefore not tipped positions.
They will most likely have to tip a percentage of their sales to bar tenders and bussers by the end of the night. This is why it's important for folks to tip as this amount is not based on what the server got in tips its based on the total sales they had for the night.

TalkToEthan

Original Poster
If you are dining in a group of I believe 6 or more then there will be an automatic tip added to the bill.

Yes, but why?

Why the extremely arbitrary of 6 or more? Why not 15? Or 1 or 2?

What is so magical or significant about 6 being the threshold to automatically assign 18%?

Furthermore why automatically assign a tip when that goes against the very definition of tip. Tip means a voluntary gift. But when automatically added it now is no longer a tip.

castlecake2.0

Yes, but why?

What is so magical or significant about 6 being the threshold to automatically assign 18%?

Furthermore why automatically assign a tip when that goes against the very definition of tip. Tip means a voluntary gift. But when automatically added it now is no longer a tip.
The 18% gratuity is a “service charge” added by Disney which is then collected by the company then paid out weekly on the servers paycheck. The number was decided upon in contract negotiations. All other tips and anything left on top of the automatic gratuity are given to the server at the end of the night. Servers then pass on a certain percentage of the tips to food runners and bartenders. All other roles in the restaurants are non tipped and received a higher hourly rate.

lazyboy97o

Yes, but why?

Applying charges to parties of six or more is a common threshold.

Larger groups of people tend to require more work that has to be done without compromising the experience of other groups.

nickys

Premium Member
For #11,

That was an elaborate non answer

What makes 6 so special as opposed to say a party of 2 or 20?????
Because in the contract negotiations, referenced n the answer I quote below, that was the number settled upon.

The number was decided upon in contract negotiations.

In the U.K. it is common for parties of 6 (occasionally 8) people to have a gratuity automatically added. So presumably there is fairly universal consensus about that number.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom