Tipping the room cleaning staff?

purranha

Staying at the WL and wife wanted to know if customery to tip the room cleaning staff. I say yes for exceptional sevice. Had one at the Animal Kingdom Lodge that made different animals out of the towels and leave them on the beds with the other stuffed animals (like they were reading a book etc). If so how much do others tip.

Gucci65

A little off topic here, but can you request the animal design towels??? Always wanted them to do that but never had the luck...

Excuse me while I go get a life now....lol

But seriously can you?

Radiohost:cool:

I went during Spring Break and DID tip mousekeeping every day in hopes of getting a towel animal, instead we got extra soap. So on the next to the last day - I wrote a note on the envelope asking if we could have a towel animal (my kid really wanted one) and there was one in the window when we got back that night.

Hey, it was her senior spring break and I wanted to make sure her vacation was perfect!!!:sohappy:

Upvote 0

majorrfb

Tip-Yes

We always tip mousekeeping daily to reward the individual that is doing the cleaning that day. One responder noted that mousekeeping makes out quite well (money wise) because of the tipping. The mousekeepers are the people who clean up after us and put the room back in shape. (Granted some folks are a whole like messier than others). On average, mousekeepers are the lowest paid on the staff and do a job that most of us don't desire. When we request extra service-toilet plugged up, extra pillows or blankets, we always reward the person who provides the service. :sohappy:

Upvote 0

DisneyChik17

We always tip mousekeeping daily to reward the individual that is doing the cleaning that day. One responder noted that mousekeeping makes out quite well (money wise) because of the tipping. The mousekeepers are the people who clean up after us and put the room back in shape. (Granted some folks are a whole like messier than others). On average, mousekeepers are the lowest paid on the staff and do a job that most of us don't desire. When we request extra service-toilet plugged up, extra pillows or blankets, we always reward the person who provides the service. :sohappy:

More than likely, that is a porter or a maintenance worker, both of whom are on staff for jobs such as those. It is their job description. Now, if I report a clogged toilet and someone comes in and fixes it, I thank them. They receive a paycheck and knew their job description when they applied for the job. They should not expect tips, like many do, and in my opinon, don't really deserve them. I mean, no one tips me for walking down the sidewalk or feeding myself.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

We also tip houskeeping, usally $4 or $5 a day. I love making the cute "Mousekeeping" envelopes before I go!

Whether you believe in tipping hotel maids or not, it is actually considered proper etiquette to do so. It is no different than tipping bell hops, hair stylists, etc..

Do a google search on tipping, and you will find hotel maids on just about every list.

Upvote 0

toystorymaniacs

More than likely, that is a porter or a maintenance worker, both of whom are on staff for jobs such as those. It is their job description. Now, if I report a clogged toilet and someone comes in and fixes it, I thank them. They receive a paycheck and knew their job description when they applied for the job. They should not expect tips, like many do, and in my opinon, don't really deserve them. I mean, no one tips me for walking down the sidewalk or feeding myself.

No, nobody tips me for doing my job I receive a paycheck for it and of course my kids have never once left me $5 for cleaning their toilet or washing the laundry but it sure is nice when they say thank you, or when someone at my job says thank you. A tip is just that, a tangible way to say thank you, to show someone who probably does not always get the appreciation that they deserve. Walking down the sidewalk or feeding yourself are things you do for yourself not as service to someone else.

Upvote 0

TURKEY

I don't get the tipping thing either. It's their job. You tip them, most days they don't change the sheets, vaccum. Most days it's make the bed, empty the trash, make sure towels are clean, clean the bathroom if needed, and restock.

Now if they arrange your animals, make towel animals, etc then tip if you want.

Basic service doesn't deserve a tip in my view.

Disney does have housekeeping staff (statused as such) that will deliver towels, extra pillows etc, but they are not the ones that clean the rooms.

Disney has/had a policy that after the housekeeper cleans their allotment of rooms, if their shift isn't over, they can leave and still get paid or go on and take more rooms (paid more). Lots of them rush rooms to finish.

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
So after reading about all of us at various resorts that have hoped (and perhaps even tipped) for towel animals, I'm wondering if only certain Mousekeepers are able to create them! :veryconfu :shrug:

Perhaps the extra soap left is to compensate for not knowing how to do towel origami?

Upvote 0

WDWNooby

I think tipping is common courtesy. If someone is cleaning up our mess, they deserve a tip. Geesh...you're spending hundreds of dollars, you can't pop for a tip?

Upvote 0

Dwarful

My whole confusion on the tip subject is how it is so varied. For example: you tip waitstaff based on the bill. If I order for lunch a salad, steak and creme brulee at Tony's the bill will be cheaper than a comparable dinner of salad, steak and creme brulee at Le Cellier. So I am expected to tip more for the same work based on the bill. However, with hotel stays the mousekeepers who clean larger rooms at the Deluxe resorts get the same tip as the mousekeepers who clean smaller rooms at the Value Resorts.
I don't mind giving a tip for good service. I just never understood how it was decided this was the way to do it.

Upvote 0
I had a GREAT mousekeeper once. I wanted to make sure that the person who cleaned my room got a tip. I went to the desk and asked who did our floor so I could tip them. They told me tipping wasn't allowed. it broke my heart because I could not leave them money and I could not find out who did such a great job.

Some of the things they did were:

They took all of my loose change and made them into Mickey mouse shapes, they set my HUGE yeti in the window.I am a gay man with lots of shoes...the made them ALL nice and neat(they were in a pile). They folded all of our clothes, even the dirty ones. They put our stuffed mickey and minnies ony our beds holding each other! And they left towel animals. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom