Tipping the ME Driver

Unomas

Is it customary to tip the driver of the Magical Express? We want to tip the driver but if it is not traditionally done we don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable for not being prepared to do so. Thank you!

STLDisneyFan

I always tip...the better the service , the better the tip. Since I'm saving so much money with the free dining this year , I feel like there's money to afford this . I don't usually worry about other as this is such a personal thing - some do and some don't - so do what you feel comfortable with!

Upvote 0

Jessie&Buzz

In 2006 I tipped our driver. We had a stroller and carry-on bag that he loaded under the bus. I felt that he was doing extra work for us so I should give him something for it.

Upvote 0

disneytopdog

I tip the ME driver the same way I tip a bell captain or the guys at luggage storage. If they touch my bags and load or unload them for me they get a tip. If the driver just stands at the bottom of the steps why tip?

Upvote 0

JamieD

Helping with the bags and good service? Then I'm all for tipping. I do despise when they remind you about tipping. We had a set us bus employees (Mears, I think) that dropped us at the Carnival terminal at Port Canaveral, and basically held out his hand while hollering things like, "feel free to tip...we are helping with your luggage" or "we don't make the standard wage, so we need your tip" and "there are five of us, so we have to split everything." I understand that I'm a tourist and you'll never see me again, but seriously? And don't even get me started on tipping on a cruise ship!

Upvote 0

BuzzComplexCM

I usually tip a buck a bag. However, if I am traveling alone and the driver helps, I will throw him a couple more bucks. Just tipping one dollar makes me feel cheap. Most times when my fiancee and I had to use ME, we had about 4 or 5 bags total.

Upvote 0

Bluewaves

Well I see it this way, on the way to the resort, the driver does nothing, doesn't touch my bags, just drives the bus, on the way to the airport he might touch my bags might not, but I usually feel weird not tipping at the arrival to the airport especially if the driver is trying to be nice, telling their horrible jokes and explaining which airlines are where and so on so usually for the 2 of us a $5 is about all they'll get, which is completely fair. They are already paid to drive the bus so they can get over it.

Upvote 0

GoochDSA

Just like everyone else has said, tip however you see fit. On my last visit I didn't tip the driver from the airport to Disney because he didn't do anything that I felt deserved a tip. I gave a nice tip to the driver on the return to the airport because not only did he handle the bags well but he was talkative and fun and really went above and beyond his call of duty. I was the last person off the bus and I was curious about tipping so I was watching everyone else to see if they were tipping and on a full to capacity bus only 1 other person tipped him. I felt really bad so I gave a little extra.

Upvote 0

mkfan23

Last time we used ME, on our trip back to the airport, I heard the driver sarcasticly say "thanks a lot" when the people in front of us did not tip. Normally I would give a couple bucks, but in this case, I thought his attitude didnt deserve one.

Upvote 0

Lucille

When we went in 2008, we had our bags with us. We tipped a dollar or two a bag.

I didn't notice anyone without bags tipping the driver.

Besides helping with bags, he didn't really do anything else worthy of a tip, IMO.

Upvote 0

Lucille

We always tip regardless of what others feel or do. I think it's a nice thing to do. :wave::sohappy:

That's fine if that's what you want to do. And I'm sure many others do the same.

However, I tend to wonder...if tons of people are tipping when things are mediocre or even below average....does that make people in tipped professions only do mediocre work? Things that make you go "hmmm...."

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

We have never flown so newat this. So we tip the driver from MCO to POP. Then when we leave do we tip the driver from POP to MCO? So 2 times the whole trip. Then do we tip someone for taking our luggage to our room or do they do that right away or later. So we can go on to the parks??? We will only have 2 suitcases both ways plus our carry ons which we will have with us. I would think maybe $2.00 for the 2 bags or would $3.00 be more fair each way?????

Upvote 0

Lucille

We have never flown so newat this. So we tip the driver from MCO to POP. Then when we leave do we tip the driver from POP to MCO? So 2 times the whole trip. Then do we tip someone for taking our luggage to our room or do they do that right away or later. So we can go on to the parks??? We will only have 2 suitcases both ways plus our carry ons which we will have with us. I would think maybe $2.00 for the 2 bags or would $3.00 be more fair each way?????

Are you using the ME baggage delivery service? Or are you getting your bags at the airport yourself and bringing them on the bus with you?

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

If you have the yellow ME tags on your luggage when you check in at your local airport, you won't see your luggage until it is delivered to your resort room, probably while you are in the parks. You won't see the person who delivers it.

So, IMHO, the only reason to tip a ME driver when arriving in Orlando is if he/she did something special for you like rolling your mother-in-law down the bus steps, or possibly helping you with a carry-on bag that you didn't check.

Now going back to the airport to go home is a little different because the driver could be involved in getting your luggage in and out of the bus for you, unless you use airline resort check in for your bags. If the driver does help with some bags then a tip seems appropriate.

IMHO

:)

Upvote 0

Rob562

If you have the yellow ME tags on your luggage when you check in at your local airport, you won't see your luggage until it is delivered to your resort room, probably while you are in the parks. You won't see the person who delivers it.

Also, if you happen to be in your room when they deliver the bags, you do NOT need to tip the person delivering your yellow-tagged luggage to your room. They're getting a tip by Disney on a per-bag basis. You can feel free to tip them if you want, but do it knowing that doing so they'll be getting double-tipped.

Now, if you have Bell Services deliver *other* luggage that isn't part of the DME luggage delivery service, I would tip them $1-$2 per bag.

-Rob

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

I am guessing they will get them. Never flown there or anywhere.. So I need to tip the pick up guy then the take back guy right??? Or if I choose to as others have said. What is $5.00 for the trip. I can do that...But not the guy who comes to the room as we will probably not see him...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom