Tipping the ME Driver

Unomas

Is it customary to tip the driver of the Magical Express? We want to tip the driver but if it is not traditionally done we don't want to make other people feel uncomfortable for not being prepared to do so. Thank you!

Lucille

I am guessing they will get them. Never flown there or anywhere.. So I need to tip the pick up guy then the take back guy right??? Or if I choose to as others have said. What is $5.00 for the trip. I can do that...But not the guy who comes to the room as we will probably not see him...

I'm still confused. Are you using the ME baggage delivery service?
Or do you plan on waiting at the baggage claim at the airport and bringing your bags with you on the bus?

If using the ME baggage delivery (which means you'll put the yellow tags on your bag before checking them at your airport) you will not see your bags until they are delivered to your room. You don't need to be in your room. You can go to the parks or do whatever you want. You do not need to tip the person that delivers them. If you're at the parks, you won't even see who it is.

If you are NOT using the baggage delivery service (which means you would NOT put the yellow tags on your luggage) you will have to wait at the baggage claim in Orlando and get your own bags. You will bring them with you to the ME bus. Typically the driver will help put them underneath the bus. Then when you get to your hotel, the driver will help take your bags off the bus. This would be when you'd tip a dollar or two per bag.

Then...if you have hotel staff help you bring bags to your room after that, you'd also want to tip that person a dollar or two a bag.

Upvote 0

Lucille

Oh, and going home....

Most airlines allow you to actually check your bags at your Disney hotel the morning of your flight (they'll give you a paper that tells you what time you need to do this by and also what time you need to be on the ME bus back to the airport.) If you do this, you will not need to tip the ME driver on the way back to the airport.

If you choose to bring your bags and check them at the airport that day, it would be best to tip the driver again for helping with the bags.

Upvote 0

RiversideBunny

I am guessing they will get them. Never flown there or anywhere.. So I need to tip the pick up guy then the take back guy right??? Or if I choose to as others have said. What is $5.00 for the trip. I can do that...But not the guy who comes to the room as we will probably not see him...

If you need a simple rule for the drivers, do this:

Have some ones in your pocket.
If someone helps you with your bags, in your presence, then give them a dollar or two.
If you do the work and no one touches your bags but you, then don't.

Good luck.
:)

Upvote 0

lighteningqueen

No we are using the tags and DME. So what does that mean??? I assume we need to tip them as they will load them up right? I am not waiting and doing it ourselves. I was told if luggage is lost or anything goes wrong that Disney will find the bags and get them to you if anything should happen they are in charge of all your bags, and gettiang to and from airport and to the resort.

Upvote 0

heliumalias

If you're using the tags then your bags won't be on the same bus as you and you do not need to tip the driver.
They will deliver the bags to your room and you don't need to worry about it at all.

On the way back:
If a bellhop helps you with your bags then you'll probably want to tip them (I Usually tip $1 per bag).
If you check your bags in at the hotel then you don't need to tip anyone.
If your bags go on the bus with you and the driver handles them then you'll probably want to tip them (again $1 per bag is my usual).

Upvote 0

Lucille

No we are using the tags and DME. So what does that mean??? I assume we need to tip them as they will load them up right? I am not waiting and doing it ourselves. I was told if luggage is lost or anything goes wrong that Disney will find the bags and get them to you if anything should happen they are in charge of all your bags, and gettiang to and from airport and to the resort.

If you are using the tags...you will not see your bags until a few hours AFTER you've checked into your hotel. They will be on a completely different bus than you.

You more than likely won't even see who delivers them to your room.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

If you are using the tags...you will not see your bags until a few hours AFTER you've checked into your hotel. They will be on a completely different bus than you.

You more than likely won't even see who delivers them to your room.
DME luggage isn't transported by bus at all.

At the airport, DME-tagged luggage is separated from the rest of the luggage, and is brought to Disney's luggage sorting facility on the grounds of the airport.

There, it is sorted by zone and then by resort. Each resort's bags are loaded into cages, and then the cages are loaded onto dedicated DME luggage delivery trucks.

The cages are delivered to the proper resorts. At each resort, the Bell Services department (Luggage Assistance and the Value resorts) then is responsible for delivering the bags to the inside of the rooms. If you aren't in your room, they WILL put the bags inside your room.

Therefore, there is no need to sit around and wait for your bags.

And as Rob already explained, the cast member who is delivering those bags is getting a per-bag payment from Disney, in lieu of a tip from you. From what I've read, the cast members are happier to deliver those bags than standard Bell Services bags, because sometimes they don't get tipped by live guests (people who are NOT getting DME bags delivered) ... but when they deliver DME bags they get a guaranteed payment called, in Disney-speak, a GTY. And I would strongly guess that "GTY" stands for "guarantee" as in guaranteed payment.

Upvote 0

Lucille

DME luggage isn't transported by bus at all.

At the airport, DME-tagged luggage is separated from the rest of the luggage, and is brought to Disney's luggage sorting facility on the grounds of the airport.

There, it is sorted by zone and then by resort. Each resort's bags are loaded into cages, and then the cages are loaded onto dedicated DME luggage delivery trucks.

The cages are delivered to the proper resorts. At each resort, the Bell Services department (Luggage Assistance and the Value resorts) then is responsible for delivering the bags to the inside of the rooms. If you aren't in your room, they WILL put the bags inside your room.

Therefore, there is no need to sit around and wait for your bags.

And as Rob already explained, the cast member who is delivering those bags is getting a per-bag payment from Disney, in lieu of a tip from you. From what I've read, the cast members are happier to deliver those bags than standard Bell Services bags, because sometimes they don't get tipped by live guests (people who are NOT getting DME bags delivered) ... but when they deliver DME bags they get a guaranteed payment called, in Disney-speak, a GTY. And I would strongly guess that "GTY" stands for "guarantee" as in guaranteed payment.

Yeah...I shouldn't have said bus because that wasn't what I meant.

I like to wait at the airport and get my own bags though. I'm weird like that.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom