Tipping in general at WDW

norhel

Howdy all!

Hope you can help a Norwegian forum member.
As some of you might know, here in Norway we generally don't tip people.
I was therefore wondering about the tipping policy in WDW?
I've heard that you are expected to give tip to waiters in restaurant, bars, taxi drivers - all 10-20 percent. I'm guessing that it must be more people that expecting tip. Could someone give me an idea of who it is common to tip and how much?

Thanx for the replies! :-D

MissM

Here's some articles to help:

http://honeymoons.about.com/cs/travelplanner/a/TippingGuide.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g191-s606/United-States:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

Typically, your basics are a 15%-20% of the total bill for any waiter/waitress at a sit down restaurant, $2 a bag or so for a bellman who carries your luggage for you, at least a few dollars a day for your housekeeping services, 15% for taxi/car hire service, etc.

You do NOT tip counter service locations or quick service carts where you buy burgers, a snack, a soda, etc.

Bear in mind the reason that tipping is standard is because people in the service industry get paid less than minimum wage and tips are a big part of their actual salary. Whereas in Florida, minimum wage is $7.50/hr, a waiter or waitress makes half that and needs the tips to make up the rest of their income.

Most restaurants in Disney will include a handy guide right on the receipt to what 15%, 18% and 20% of the bill is for you to help figure out how much to leave as tip.

Upvote 0

jimmy5575

You will get many answers to this question. The key is do what you feel comfortable doing. . .

Here's my take:
According to Disney. . .only wait staff and bell services are tipped positions. Generally, a dollar a bag whenever the bell service touches your bags is a safe approach, however, some will give more. As far as waiters/waitresses in the resturaunts it is customary to tip between 15-20% of your pre-taxed bill for meals. Unfortunately, tipping at restaurants was for excellent service in the past but has become expected in the US. If the service is really poor, it is okay to give less than 15% or even nothing, however, if the service is that poor you should be speaking to a manager. Disney will automatically add 18% to your bill if you have 6 or more people at your table. Always be sure to read the bill and look for a gratuity addition before tipping to ensure that you don't double tip.

Other positions that are often tipped include:
Hotel Housekeeping (Mousekeeping)- There is no set approach with this and is not expected. Some people will tip a dollar a day per person some will just give a single tip at the end of their stay.

Magical Express Bus Driver- I would only tip it they handle my bags. Probably a dollar per bag.

Tour Guides- Depends on the quality of the tour and the guide. 10-20% of the tour cost is a good range, however, this is not required.

Taxi- While not Disney operated it is customary to tip a taxi driver in the US any where from 10-20%. Personally if all we are doing is taking a ride with no luggage than 10% is sufficient.

I hope that helps!

Upvote 0

norhel

Original Poster
Hotel Housekeeping (Mousekeeping)- There is no set approach with this and is not expected. Some people will tip a dollar a day per person some will just give a single tip at the end of their stay.

Is it common to leave the tip on the bedside table, or am I mistaken?

Thanx for the replies from both of you buy the way :)

Upvote 0

bsiev1977

Yes. Some hotels will leave a special envelope for tipping the maid. I haven't stayed in a WDW hotel for a while though, so I don't know if they do it there.

Upvote 0

Mukta

On the bathroom counter, there is usually a note with who cleaned your room. I put a few dollars in that note and leave it on the vanity by the sink.

Upvote 0

MissM

Just make sure any money you leave in tip for "Mousekeeping" (i.e. your maid service at the hotel) is clearly indicated. They won't just take any money laying around because they assume you took it out of a pocket and just forgot about it. Putting it in an envelope or with a little note or something ensures they know it's OK to take.

Also, keep in mind you may have different Mousekeepers throughout the week, so while some people prefer to leave one tip at the end of the stay, many prefer to leave a little each day so the specific maid who cleaned your room that day receive it.

Upvote 0

jimmy5575

I would suggest leaving it on the bedside table with a "Thank You" Note. Just to be clear the money is for them. I am not one to make envolopes for the house keeping staff but a quick not makes it clear that the money if for him/her.

Upvote 0

fosse76

Taxi- While not Disney operated it is customary to tip a taxi driver in the US any where from 10-20%. Personally if all we are doing is taking a ride with no luggage than 10% is sufficient.

Taxi drivers shouldn't get more than a $2 tip unless they help with luggage.

Upvote 0

lewisc

There is a difference between what a person (or poster) thinks is appropriate and what normally considered to be "normal".

Waiters are generally tipped 15-20% Some people think waiters at buffet restaurants should get 10-15%. Bartenders are generally tipped 15%. Restaurants sometime include an automatic tip/service fee if your party size is above a certain size (6 or over is typical).

You generally tip the valet (person who parks your car) $1-$2.

Bellhop who handles your luggage is generally tipped $1-$2/ bag. Disney pre-tips the resort employee who delivers luggage to your room when your not there (DME only).

15-20% is a normal tip for a taxi (or towncar). Many limo companies add an automatic 20% gratuity for at least limo service.

Disney doesn't consider housekeeping a "tipped" position. Many people who post in internet boards seem to tip but most guests don't.

Upvote 0

asdisneywatcher

We made envelopes that said "Thank you for the Mousekeeping" and had Disney princess stickers on them. We had 5 people in our one room so each day there was a 5 dollar bill in the envelope for our mousekeeper. You can also leave the tip under the card that has your mousekeepers name.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom