Tipping AT WDW

djmatthews

Original Poster
Thanks for your info folks - its great. I'm sure that many Americans are aware of us Brits, and how we are a non-tipping nation generally. I should probs think about tipping the housekeeping if i want that "extra service".

Waiting staff I do tend to tip (for good service). However, over the course of the meal, they can loose my tip for bad service. I have worked in the catering/bar industry for about 5 years, so I know exactly what to look for, and what great service actually is.

Moving the subject on slightly. What is the tipping protocol for say a all-you-care-to-eat buffet, where you are only really brought drinks and plates cleared, both on and off site.

Scooter

Moving the subject on slightly. What is the tipping protocol for say a all-you-care-to-eat buffet, where you are only really brought drinks and plates cleared, both on and off site. [/B][/QUOTE]

Excellant question!!

Since the service at an All-you-can-eat Buffet is very impersonal..that is to say you don't interact much with your server, I don't leave a tip in this circumstance.

Everyone gets treated the same and you are getting your own salads desserts etc. so there's not really a chance of getting better or worse service from the staff.

Just my thoughts..others may handle it differant.

wiskband

Originally posted by Scooter
Moving the subject on slightly. What is the tipping protocol for say a all-you-care-to-eat buffet, where you are only really brought drinks and plates cleared, both on and off site.

Excellant question!!

Since the service at an All-you-can-eat Buffet is very impersonal..that is to say you don't interact much with your server, I don't leave a tip in this circumstance.

Everyone gets treated the same and you are getting your own salads desserts etc. so there's not really a chance of getting better or worse service from the staff.

Just my thoughts..others may handle it differant. [/B][/QUOTE]
buffet type you s ould tip 10%

:sohappy: come on folks your on vacation:sohappy:

Bagheera

Originally posted by Scooter Excellant question!!

Well, you still do get beverage service and bussing, and sometimes they do other stuff to help you. Usually, we'll give 10% at the buffets. (Of course, we usually give 20% at table-service restaurants.) If it's a place where we have to get our own drinks, too (none of those places at WDW, I think), we only give maybe a buck per person. YMMV.

Big Pooh

Originally posted by wiskband
Waitress here...not at WDW. someone asked why tipped waitress well because depending on what state you live in (NY here) we get paid about 2-3 and hour and we are taxed on 15% of our sales (the 15% being what we SHOULD have been tipped on. I have to say housekeeping at Disney is excellent. Last month we stayed at two very popular hotel chains (not in Disney, because we hadnt arrived yet) and they were disgusting.both rooms were dirty and ironically we found cockroaches in both rooms. This made me never want to stay anywhere else buit in disney. we happen to be right outside of Orlando visiting relatives and I told my hubby next weather we go to the parks or visit family we are staying on disney property! I would rather take a 30 minute ride to see his sister than sleeping with the roaches and possibly bring them home with us. Disney sets a standard and its no wonder why they have such loyal fans who keep going back every year. besides the kindness and Magic it is probably the CLEANEST place to vacation. Both my hubby and I feel that Disney has spoiled us. we realized this also when we went to six flags in jersey. Had we never been to disney, this park may have been alright but we spent the whole day noticing how dirty and unfreindly the place was. We found ourselves saying "youd never see that is WDW" all day long. Since both those experience it has made me realize you get what you pay for and I dont mind paying high prices for things nor do I mind tipping. I know I have piece of mind and the place is really clean. Just BEWARE... you dont tip twice in the resturants. Sometimes they will add gratuity weather it be becuase you have large party or just because that particlar place practices this method. Personaly, I think if the gratuity is added it should be cirlced and noticable. That had heppened to a few times and tipping is my dutty as the waitress of the family! TIP AWAY PEOPLE ..... its well worth it! :sohappy:

from a fellow waitress.....

amen !!!!!!

~stefffe taking command of Pooh's computer for the night~

Big Pooh

Tipping the Mouse Keepers...

ive always known to tip the Mouse keepers...but since this is my first time to have a little one with me....do they really decorate the rooms?

now ill be packing the stuffed animals just to see if they will :)

~stefffe posing as Big Pooh~:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Big Pooh

Originally posted by Scooter
Excellant question!!

again....keep in mind....i do this for a living

you didnt have to cook....and you didnt have to clean up....all in all i think that right there deserves tipping...at least for me... mind you im not fussing here.... :) but had to put in my $0.02

~stefffe yet again~

2much2do

Originally posted by Big Pooh
again....keep in mind....i do this for a living

you didnt have to cook....and you didnt have to clean up....all in all i think that right there deserves tipping...at least for me... mind you im not fussing here.... :) but had to put in my $0.02

~stefffe yet again~

Okay, but......what did I pay for when I paid the bill? You can't tell me I'm really eating $21.99 worth of food and soda!!

I agree with the middle-of-the-road people. Tip for good service, don't (or tip less) for not so great service. At all you-can-eats tip a whole lot less than usual if at all, because I had to get up and get my own food, you didn't even serve me!

Today I went to Walmart and they had this guy doing demos for a new eyeglass cleaning solution. You know, like the old ladies that give out samples and such. Well, I KNOW these guys get paid (DH's retired mom does this on the weekends). But, this guy had a little cup on the table for tips!!!! I was appalled! All he did was clean my glasses with that stuff he was trying to sell. Sometimes tipping gets waaaaaaaay outta hand, and I irks me. Sometimes people expect to get tipped, when really I thought tipping was optional and based on the quality of service received.

My two cents.

tigsmom

Re: Tipping the Mouse Keepers...

Originally posted by Big Pooh
ive always known to tip the Mouse keepers...but since this is my first time to have a little one with me....do they really decorate the rooms?

now ill be packing the stuffed animals just to see if they will :)

~stefffe posing as Big Pooh~:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Just leave them on the chair or bed. We came back to a mini party on the bed and dolls wearing sunglasses. The kids (and adults) just love it!:lol:

Pippa

Re: Re: Tipping the Mouse Keepers...

Originally posted by tigsmom
Just leave them on the chair or bed. We came back to a mini party on the bed and dolls wearing sunglasses. The kids (and adults) just love it!:lol:

I had that too!

My animals have been:

Hidden all around the room with a note say they had gone away!

In the bathroom with all the toiletries

Slouching on the bed watching the Disney toon channel!

CSOM

I am one of the individuals who is more than willing to cut a tip down for lousy service. My impression of tipping isn't so much a thank you, but more of an incentive program for the employees. If you do a better job, you will make more money. Conversely, if you do a poor job, you will make less. Then again I am a Human Resources professional and spent 6 years of undergrad and grad school studying compensation theories among other things.. :D

My questions though are, when did the "mandatory" tip limit go from 15% to 20%. To me 20% always seems a bit steep. I'm a fairly big guy, and so I end up with the bigger portions, which inevitably cost more. But, it doesn't take anymore work, or any better service on the employees part, to serve me my $30 steak and chicken platter versus my girlfriends $12 chicken salad. Just a thought..... and I havent come up with an answer for that one.

Also, someone mentioned how you tip the waitstaff, but feel like you should tip the chef, or wonder why you are tipping the bartender. Isn't it a law in most states (I believe it is in WI) where you pool your tips? Bars in Madison, WI pool their tips, so that the tips the bartenders get are evenly distributed among themselves and the wait staff as well..... Which, then using my incentive theory on tipping above, places pressure from co-workers along with that incentive to do a good job.

Again, it's just my .02 worth. ... Or wait, since I eat more, my .05 worth :brick:

justynsaunt

Originally posted by CSOM

My questions though are, when did the "mandatory" tip limit go from 15% to 20%.

Zagats updates there guides every year and I remeber reading in the one from last year that the average tip is at about 18%. (They had thought it would be about 15%) This is based on their surveys. It's not mandatory but it is a suggested starting point.

Keep in mind I live in NYC so this may have something to do with it. I just double the tax since our latest sales tax rate is 8 5/8%.

By the way, I think folks should tip 15% at all-you-can-eat establishments. Some one said that the waitresses don't really do very much but bring you a beverage. That may be true but another way to look at it is that they have a very limited opportunity to impress you with their ability to serve you. Unless the service is poor, I think you should tip at least 15%.

BRER STITCH

I'll never forget laughing out loud the first time I saw the following sign at a local Diner:

"TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA....THANK YOU!"

:lol:

Stefffe

Originally posted by BRER STITCH
I'll never forget laughing out loud the first time I saw the following sign at a local Diner:

"TIPPING IS NOT A CITY IN CHINA....THANK YOU!"

:lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ahhh i wonder if my boss would let me put a sign like that where i work...... ;)

~stefffe~

tigsmom

mousekeeping leaves a card with their name on it. We leave a tip in an envelope labled with the name and put the card inside. Everyone has their own thoughts on this. We like to say thank-you for a job well done.

ps. We give gifts to our teachers at the holidays and the end of the year. Personally, I don't think of teaching as a "menial" job.( though in some places they are underpaid...but not in our district. The pay is pretty good.)

There are no small jobs, just small people. (my 2 cents, no flames please.)

josenk

EVERYONE is giving their 2 cents... 2 cents is a little cheep! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know it's optional, but how much are some of the tips you are leaving? :veryconfu

tigsmom

We usually leave about $10 (3 day trip/4 people). We will sometimes leave more if we have received alot of little extras.

Scooter

We leave $5 per day.

I used to have the same attitude as someone else here.
Why should I leave a tip when I'm paying $350 a night for the ROOM.

Then I realized that DIsney is getting that money and paying the Housekeepers a lousy wage. The tip is to compensate them for them busting their behinds for low wages.

Besides...I seem to get better service when I tip. I won't go into detail, but I collect some things that the Resorts have to offer and the Housekeeping staff help me to aquire those things.:zipit:

lewisc

Although I generally tip housekeeping Disney doesn't consider it a tipped position and the NY Times travel section says 85% do NOT tip housekeeping.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom