Tipping at Japan restaurant

JShkNBak

Original Poster
We just got back a few weeks ago from a wonderful time down in Disney with my husband, his sister and her husband. We went to Japan one night for dinner and enjoyed it so so much, but we have a bit of a debate going on….is a person supposed to tip the chef after they prepare your dinner? My sister in law swears that the chef was hanging around like he was expecting to be tipped. My husband and I were there in Oct. too and the other family we sat with didn’t tip the chef, so we assumed this time when we were at a table with just the four of us, we werent supposed to tip….or were we and now we are bad people?? :zipit:

k.hunter30

Though it's probably different at each restaurant, the hibachi (sp?) place we go to here at home informed us the the chef and the waitress split the tip in some proportion.

corgi998

tipping at Japan

Hi there,

I too never thought about this so I just googled tipping teppan chefs and this is what I found from Itipping.com: I guess it depends on how great your chef was. This is something I will have to judge the next time I dine there. Thanks for bringing this question up as I would not have thought about it. :animwink:

Often when you eat at a Japanese Steakhouse (or, Teppanyaki Steakhouse), a chef comes to your table and makes the exprience special by slicing, grilling and serving steak, seafood and vegetables right in front of you at your table. If the chef does a good job, and you want to show your appreciation, what is the proper tipping etiquette in these situations?
We contacted two of the largest chains of Japanese Steakhouses and we received different answers.
At Benihana, which is the nation's leading chain of Japanese steakhouses, we were told that the waitstaff already shares their tips with the chefs, but that you can additionally tip the chef if he did an especially good job. Some customers first tip the chef and deduct the tip from the waitstaff's checks, but we do not recommend this policy. Because chefs usually receive a share of the waiters' tips, we recommend tipping the waitstaff first, then tipping the chef if you believe an additional tip is appropriate. If you give an additional tip directly to the chef, he will often keep that entire tip. At Benihana, sometimes the chef will have a tip jar in front of him.
According to the website for Kobe Japanese Steakhouse, another national chain, you should tip your waiter only, and these tips are properly distributed and shared among all the employees -- waiters, busboys, and yes, the teppanyaki chefs
In general, we believe it's a safe course to tip only the wait staff at any Japanese steakhouse, as the tips are generally shared and the chef will get his share from that amount. If you are at Benihana or if you see a tip jar in front of the chef, you can consider giving him an additional tip for especially good service.
Like to contribute your own two cents? Contribute your advice. One of our readers writes:
Comments: I work in a Japanese Steakhouse where the tipping policy is the same as Benihana. I have no problem with sharing the tips with the chef, after all, they are performers as well as chef's. However, what many people do not realize is that the chef's recieve a set amount, namely, $1.35 per head. For a server, this can be a sizable amount, and poses a challenge. Particularly when the customer is led to think that that "tip sharing" means that the chef will also share their tips with the waitstaff.
One other thing that is easily forgotten is that chef's also earn a living wage, while the server does not.
These are just a few things to keep in mind when visiting a Japanese steakhouse.

JShkNBak

Original Poster
Huh...interesting....thanks for the info. Yeah, it would just seem a bit weird to me to be like, ''hold on, let me put my fork down and reach in my pocket to get you some cash..." I donno, but I guess im not really used to eating at a place where they make the food infront of you like that!

corgi998

I'm sure the chefs would appreciate it now that the new dining plan is implemented without the gratuities included. However, it would definitely feel weird to tip the chef and, probably the other diners on the table would feel like they were obligated to tip as well. So I say only if they "wow" you - tip.

All the best and Happy New Year!

wild01ride

FWIW, tips are not accepted in Japan.

Even when forcibly trying to give a tip to a server or chef, they will politely decline it. It's just the way their system works - they think that the idea of tipping seems unusual!

imamouse

Thanks for this info.

Once while dining at the Japanese restaurant in WS, the family next to us gave the chef $10 after the meal was prepared. She accepted the tip with thanks. We just sat there like lumps on a log :confused:. That was the only time I've seen the chef tipped.

sbkline

FWIW, tips are not accepted in Japan.

Even when forcibly trying to give a tip to a server or chef, they will politely decline it. It's just the way their system works - they think that the idea of tipping seems unusual!

I was thinking the same thing, based on something I remember overhearing my Dad say in the car one time years ago...so my memory may be fuzzy.

But I thought he was talking about Japan, but maybe it was China or one of those other Oriental Countries. Anyway, I thought he said that tipping is considered an insult there...at least the way we tip, as in leaving money on the table. He said that over there, the way you're supposed to do it if you want to leave a tip is to present it to the chef personally as a gift.

Like I said, it was years ago, and I was in the back seat and he was driving, so I may have heard wrong and I may be remembering wrong. Or, I could have heard correctly and be remembering correctly, but Dad just had his facts wrong. Who knows. :shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom