Tip the front desk?

gspin2k1

I have my first ever WDW trip coming up in 18 days. Anyway I travel to Vegas often and 9/10 if you tip the front desk like $20-100 when you check in often gets you a better view, nicer room, etc. WDW is obviously a different kind of play ground. Just curious if this is also the case with WDW resorts? But then again would I be wasting my money (and making the CM's day) because I already paid for the Savannah view room at AKL and I'm assuming the next level up is a suite (which would probalby never be comp'd).

~G

DisneyChik17

I don't really think they have the authority to upgrade like that. I work at a hotel and the only time I ever get tipped is when we go way above and beyond. Getting directions with multiple stops, late night upgrades, rate changes, free breakfast, etc... Don't feel obligated to tip them.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I've heard of people getting upgrades before when they check in - but none of them ever mentioned that they gave a tip for it. It just seemed like they were lucky, and were celebrating something like a honeymoon or anniversary. Timing just was right.

I never thought about tipping the front desk. I suppose it couldn't hurt, if they are allowed to accept them. I feel like they already go above & beyond when they are able to. It's like they're trained to make things as magical as possible.

I do know that tipping your mousekeeper can get you little extras, such as towel animals and things such as that. Although I think it's customary to tip them! :)

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I would bet that the checkin employees at WDW arent allowed to accept tips.:shrug:
You would win that bet! :D

And it's precisely to avoid any hint of elitism on check-in. Everybody gets the same excellent treatment. Vegas is the Mecca of elitism, if you grease enough palms, you get better treatment. Disney doesn't want their CMs getting rich by giving stuff away that people will pay Disney for.

Upvote 0

Lunamis

I work at the front desk of a hotel and it certainly is not customary...I rarely see anyone gets tips, thought that is not to say it does not happen once in a while.

Seriously, if you are just nice to them,they are more inclined to treat you well. There are so many difficult situations or guests a day, just a friendly face and smile is more than enough to tip the odds in your favor for an upgrade or extraordinary service. :animwink:

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Speaking as a former front desk CM, they are not allowed to accept tips.

Yep

I had a bell services person tell me that once.

I tried to tip a bell services person when they got a bunch of our bags out of storage. She said she was part of the front desk staff and was just filling in and therefore could not take tips. She said the normal bell services people can, but she was not bell services so she was not allowed.

-dave

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom