Tip on Disneyworld needed

mightduck748

Original Poster
Can anyone help and tell me some tips on staying at disneyworld. Im going for the 1st time June 6 and will be there 6 nights. I want to make the most out of my trip. Any help?

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
making the most ouf of your trip..

hmm..

1- stay on site. the closer the proximity to parks, the better. 1 resort in a particularly good location is Old Key West.. others are the Port Orleans Resorts. Close to Epcot, MK, and MGM.

2- take advantage of Extra Magic Hour and E-rides (when available).

3- rent a car

KUNZEWORLD

My first stay as an adult was a port orleans (french quarter). MY wife and i loved it and still hold it as our favorite. Clean, Quiet, and nicely themed.

Have Fun

Bliff

1. Get to the parks early. Yes, I know you're on vacation and want to sleep late, but by getting to the parks at opening time or before, you'll get to ride a lot of the popular rides with way less wait. Then, leave the park around noon to go have lunch and take a swim or a nap. Go back to the parks mid-late afternoon when it's getting cooler and people are starting to leave.

2. If you can, rent a car to make it easier to do the above, but also to make it easier to enjoy restaurants that aren't in the parks or at your resort. Bus service from resort to resort is slow. If you don't rent a car, consider other options for lunch like taking the monorail to one of the "monorail resorts" for lunch, or from the MK, taking a boat to Wilderness Lodge for lunch. Just get the heck out of the parks for a little while each day if you can... don't burn out.

3. Don't forget to explore such areas as the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney. A good way to see the boardwalk is to take a "Friendship" there from World Showcase lagoon. You can also reach the Beach Club Resort, home of the best darn burger on Disney property, on one of these Friendship boats.

4. Don't dismiss a ride, show or attraction just because it doesn't sound like something you'd like or sounds "kiddy" - give it a try and make your opinion after. Don't, however, try to see everything in a "commando-style" tour. Take your time, see what you can, and remember the parks will be there for another visit someday.

5. Use Fast Passes. Use Fast Passes. Use Fast Passes.

KevinPage

Understand that there is no way to see and do everything. Relax, enjoy yourself and just think of all the fun you'll have on your next trip with the things you didn't get a chance to see/do this time around.

Always a great excuse to make another trip :D

Nansafan

Originally posted by Bliff

3. Don't forget to explore such areas as the Boardwalk and Downtown Disney. A good way to see the boardwalk is to take a "Friendship" there from World Showcase lagoon. You can also reach the Beach Club Resort, home of the best darn burger on Disney property, on one of these Friendship boats.

Sorry to thread drift, but where is is burger? My 17 year old would be in heaven to find such a thing.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Plan Ahead

Facing four parks can be overwhelming.

I suggest you pick up one of the guidebooks available...you can search other threads for peoples preferences, and plan ahead, but not rigidly.

Target a few "must do's" as soon as you enter the park, either by getting in line or fast pass. Do schedule time to relax rather than running just to do everything.

Spend time researching this site as there are a lot of opinions and suggestions available.

I agree with Rob, that you should stay on site.

DiPSU224

I always tell anyone I know that is going to take a nap during the day. Get to the park early, at opening time, enjoy the morning/early afternoon and then go back to your hotel and take a refreshing little nap. It makes for a more enjoyable evening/night with less crankiness (for me anyway). It makes me feel more refreshed when I get back to the park and it gives my tired feet a much needed break. Enjoy your trip! :wave:

wannab@dis

You have several great suggestions above! I'll add a few.

1) Dining - can be more thrilling than some of the thrill rides. Do a little research and find some restaraunts that you think you'll like and make priority seatings for them. We plan at least one PS each day at a nice restaraunt that matches the park we're in. Don't for get the character breakfast at Chef Mickey's!

2) Rest - not enough can be said about this point. Go back to your room and take a break during the heat of the afternoon. We usually took showers and were really refreshed for the late afternoon and evenings in the parks. Many people just melt away by the late afternoon so the parks are not as crowded.

3) Details - don't forget to slow down during the trip and look at all the little things that many people don't notice. Visit the other resorts, take the small pathway that doesn't look crowded, sit down on a bench and just look around. You'll be amazed at the small details that Disney has everywhere!

4) Stay on site - several have mentioned this, but it's worth mentioning again. No matter what resort you stay in, it will have the disney magic. The value resorts are great, especially if you have kids. We went without kids to the value resorts several times and will probably continue to do so.

5) Research - read, read, read! You can't read enough to be prepared. Several books are available - I like the Passporter - and many websites are out there such as wdwMagic or AllEarsNet.com.

6) HAVE FUN!!! :sohappy:

RSoxNo1

The following are attractions that are must sees at each park, also remember to get plunty of popcorn and other crap to eat because you're on vacation.

Magic Kingdom: Splash Mountain, PhilHarmagic, Buzz Lightyear
Epcot: Test Track, Mission: Space
MGM: Rock 'n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Who wants to be a Millionare
Animal Kingdom: Festival of the Lion King, Kiliminjaro Safaris

Nicole

these have been mentioned but:

stay on site if at all possible

read and/or memorize "the Unofficial Guide" to WDW

be flexible - don't get so caught up in following a strict schedule that the fun gets lost in the details.

schedule Priority Seatings for at least a couple of restaurants (I like allearsnet.com for their restaurant descriptions and menus)

take lots of pictures!!

SnowWhite5669

1. Dress for the weather. It's very hot down there right now, high 90s, it should be getting a little cooler in the next few days but it's still hot, hot, hot....

2. Wear comfortable shoes!! There is a lot of walking involved!!

3. Skip the rental car if you are staying on property, we never rent a car, it's an added expense and it will leave you with more money to spend in the parks. There is plenty to keep you busy and a million dining options in all price ranges without having to leave the property. The buses have been pretty good lately. (I just got back last week)

4. Check out the wait times and show times and plan around them, use fast passes when you can.

5. Don't miss Wishes, Illuminations and Fantasmic (get to Fantasmic early for the best seats- SCAR section is pretty good).

6. Have fun, have fun and have fun....

7. Take me with you....:lookaroun

SnowWhite5669

Oh- one more thing...

Go to Animal Kingdom in the morning and try to take advantage of the early opening to see the most animals. Plan 1/2 AK, it doesn't take a whole day and you can always hop to a waterpark after that if they are not filled to capacity.

Bring RAIN gear- you will need it, the summer afternoon rain storms have started. You can still enjoy the parks in the rain, just be prepared. They only last a short time so don't bail out and go back to the room. The lines go way down in the rain, although several rides (Test Track) do close in the rain.

and one last thing... Get the Ultimate Park Hopper if you are staying on property it's the best value and allows you to do EVERYHTING IN THE WORLD!!!!:sohappy:

SnowWhite5669

Originally posted by SnowWhite5669

7. Take me with you....:lookaroun

Forget that... :lol: I just saw your other post! Congrats! Plan a romantic dinner at California Grill on top of the Contemporary during Wishes! My husband proposed in Disney, it's a great place to start your life together!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!:sohappy:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Goofy1932
I think that if you stay at a disney hotel then you can get a wake up call from one of the characters

You can get a wake up call at ANY hotel. Staying onsite will cost you a lot more money. It does have some advantages which may justify that extra cost, but having Goofy wake you up in the morning is not one of them.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by Bliff
If you can, rent a car to make it easier to do the above, but also to make it easier to enjoy restaurants that aren't in the parks or at your resort. Bus service from resort to resort is slow. If you don't rent a car, consider other options for lunch like taking the monorail to one of the "monorail resorts" for lunch, or from the MK, taking a boat to Wilderness Lodge for lunch. Just get the heck out of the parks for a little while each day if you can... don't burn out.

I cannot emphasize enough how much I agree with this point! And it's refreshing to see someone else state that the Disney transportation is slow. I find it frustratingly slow. You don't want to spend your time waiting at bus stops, ferry launches and monorail stations while you're there. It is so nice to have your own car so you can come and go as you like. It is well worth the cost and you can often get some great deals. Also, there are things outside of Disney property that are well worth seeing. My wife and I have a tradition where we always go to Sleuth's Murder Mystery Dinner Theater while we're there. It is over by Wet N Wild on International Drive. Also, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure are awesome! You may not have time to visit those if you have never been to WDW before and you only have 6 days though.

Merlin

Account Suspended
Oh one more thing about renting a car...

Before your trip, get a unique antenna ball and then put it on your rental car when you get there. That will make it a lot easier to find your car when you leave the parks.

swimmom

Don't follow a strict itinerary. Make a must see list and then take in other attractions as time permits. You can't see it all in a week!

Pack an extra pair of shoes. Sometimes your shoes get soaked in the afternoon rain and don't dry out overnight.

We never rent a car. I like to let someone else do the driving on our trips. We always allow plenty of travel time.

If you're flying, use a towncar service to and from the airport. The two services that I know about allow you to schedule a grocery stop.

Have a great trip! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom