Timekeeper to become Monsters Inc.

KrazyKemp

Original Poster
The following was found on Screamscape.com:

2007/2008 - Timekeeper / Monsters Inc. - Rumor - (2/28/06) An insider tells us that Cast Members were informed that Timekeeper was now closed forever and confirmed the rumors about replacing it with a Monsters Inc. dark ride that would be similar to the one just opened in California Adventure

Any thoughts on this? I kinda hoped for something better...

grandmath

Considering the ride in itself is hugely popular and seems great (on video), I'm kind of happy about it.

Of course, it would have been better to have something original and not a clone (again).

CTXRover

It wouldn't surprise me if that is the replacement considering how popular the Monsters ride seems to be for DCA as well as the fact that Tokyo Disneyland recently announced that they too are adding a Monsters Inc ride (although different than the DCA one) to their Tomorrowland. Personally, I would love to see some version of the Monsters ride come over to WDW, but I have a really hard time envisioning how they will explain the Monsters storyline having anything to do with "Tomorrowland". It may be science fiction, but it has zero to do with the space/aliens aspect of science fiction that the rest of Tomorrowland has become.

ballewclan

I dont know anything about the ride at Disneyland but if Monsters inc fits in with tomorrowland then I'm all for it.

Yet i highly doubt it will. :cry:

DisneyFanLS

I've been reading on the boards that it was probably between a Monsters, Inc attraction or some type of Incredibles attraction....personally, I would have opted for the Incredibles....just a personal preference :eek:

Epcot82Guy

I agree. Monsters, Inc. would establish a MUCH needed attraction at WDW (as a new dark ride), but it has no business being in Tomorrowland. If it is any form of a clone of DCA's, it has nothing to do with tomorrow or science fiction future (the whole movie is based on how this is actually happening today in a way). PUT IT IN MGM THAT NEEDS DARK RIDES or even use it as a foundation for Make-believe animals at DAK. Could you stretch (i.e. destroy even more) the theme of TL to fit, perhaps. But, it is much more needed in other parks IMHO and could free up some space for something original or at least more fitting in MK. After all, we've clearly established MK has no problem letting attractions sit. So why the rush on this one?

gboiler1

I hope they stay away from the DCA clone. I would rather see something other than a retelling of the movie.

Also, whatever happened to the Green Army Men/Alien Claw Machine bumper cars thingy. Wasn't that the hot rumor?

matthope03

As much as I hate to say it I think it if futuristic enough to go in tommorrowland. However, I really liked the concept of the Monster's Inc rollercoaster that was to go in at MGM, they may end up turning that into an Incredibles type attraction. I have a big feeling we are going to find out quite a bit in April. After the official opening of Everest I believe we are going to get quite a few project announcements and information. Such as more detail on the Finding Nemo musical, Finding Nemo ride, replacement for Timekeeper, replacement for WOL, and I do believe they will make an announcement of a new attraction coming to the Studios. As many have said, the Studios is the park with the most need for a new big attraction now and I do not see Disney waiting to get started on it. The only possibility here would be that they do put off the big attraction announcement and announce a replacement for the Sounds Dangerous footprint.

My only question, is Timekeeper really that big? I have not been on it in a long time so I cant really recall, but I think they only have 1 show area, I just dont see them being able to fit awhole dark ride attraction into there.

Epcot82Guy

Here here. I think if this is officially announced, it may be letter time. We're getting closer in that at least the attraction itself sounds promising. Now we just need them placed correctly...

doop

Well Monsters Inc. was a great movie, so I'm sure it would be a great attraction. However, this really isn't fitting in too well with the theme of Tomorrowland. This attraction would be probably be better in MGM, to go with the movies theme.

dxwwf3

Guys Tomorrowland is dead anyways. Now we should just hope for decent attractions that more than just kids can enjoy (God knows there are enough of those already at the MK). Since I coined the phrase WAY back when, I think it's time to expand upon it:

Tomorrowland 3: Fantasyland East

Or

T3: Rise of the Fantasyland

Whichever you prefer ;)

Epcot82Guy

dxwwf3, that actually suggests an interesting point. I've been thinking quite a bit about this recently, and I think I finally figured out why this character invasion really does upset me ALOT. This has nothing to do with it becoming Fantasyland East in light of the characters in the attractions. What is means is, as you have said, the DEATH of the land. I realize this argument will be somewhat obvious, but this death is what pains me most. When I was a kid, the elements of Disney I loved th most were the stories I created behind the stories that existed. A lot of that came from the feeling of the land itself. What sat inside that temple in the Jungle Cruise? What happened to the family after we slipped just past the dividing wall in Horizons? What happened after the spirits arrived at Leota's seance? What did the rockslide look like after we narrowly got through the caves on BTMRR? However, not all of these came from the attractions. I used to look down Main St. and think of what sat off the side streets we just couldn't see. Same for every land in MK except Fantasyland.

When it came to the new version of Tomorrowland, I LOVED IT! I really like the old one, but the new overlay truly gave it this ability to be something else. Where woudl RED line on the TTA take me? What would the other conventions at the Convention Center look like once they came?

The point is that Disney World never really TOLD stories outside of Fantasyland (originally). It was all abstract. It presented everything you needed, but it was YOU as a guest that told the story to yourself. That way, you could ride it again and find new things to create the story further. Add it into the surroundings themselves, and you have even more to work with. I always found Fantasyland to be the blatant story telling, and it didn't appeal as much. In an era of "interactive entertainment," I am truly missing what I consider to be the most interactive of all. The original EPCOT, some original MK attractions, etc.

With this character invasion, it brings the story into your face. You know the progression; you know the ending. Even if it is in a new setting, you are bound by the presentation of these characters in the film. This certainly has a role, but it is becoming the norm. It's frankly boring to me. I don't get excited seeing cartoon characters. I get excited by being able to be that kid in the back yard with the stick, cardboard box, etc. and taking a sailing adventure or mission into space. Luckily, at Disney, they had REALLY GOOD cardboard boxes and sticks, so the stories created were even better (to the point that I, as a child, teen, and adult, could still suspend and PRETEND once again).

Bottom line, I wish Disney would stop TELLING stories. I wish they would return to PRESENTING the scene and letting guests do the rest, at least with some attractions.

manutdfan1

Ugh.......i hate this.....what does this have to do with tomorrow land. Why couldnt they do a new ride for tomorrow land.....but then again what would it be......any suggestions??????

dxwwf3

Epcot82Guy said:
dxwwf3, that actually suggests an interesting point. I've been thinking quite a bit about this recently, and I think I finally figured out why this character invasion really does upset me ALOT. This has nothing to do with it becoming Fantasyland East in light of the characters in the attractions. What is means is, as you have said, the DEATH of the land. I realize this argument will be somewhat obvious, but this death is what pains me most. When I was a kid, the elements of Disney I loved th most were the stories I created behind the stories that existed. A lot of that came from the feeling of the land itself. What sat inside that temple in the Jungle Cruise? What happened to the family after we slipped just past the dividing wall in Horizons? What happened after the spirits arrived at Leota's seance? What did the rockslide look like after we narrowly got through the caves on BTMRR? However, not all of these came from the attractions. I used to look down Main St. and think of what sat off the side streets we just couldn't see. Same for every land in MK except Fantasyland.

When it came to the new version of Tomorrowland, I LOVED IT! I really like the old one, but the new overlay truly gave it this ability to be something else. Where woudl RED line on the TTA take me? What would the other conventions at the Convention Center look like once they came?

The point is that Disney World never really TOLD stories outside of Fantasyland (originally). It was all abstract. It presented everything you needed, but it was YOU as a guest that told the story to yourself. That way, you could ride it again and find new things to create the story further. Add it into the surroundings themselves, and you have even more to work with. I always found Fantasyland to be the blatant story telling, and it didn't appeal as much. In an era of "interactive entertainment," I am truly missing what I consider to be the most interactive of all. The original EPCOT, some original MK attractions, etc.

With this character invasion, it brings the story into your face. You know the progression; you know the ending. Even if it is in a new setting, you are bound by the presentation of these characters in the film. This certainly has a role, but it is becoming the norm. It's frankly boring to me. I don't get excited seeing cartoon characters. I get excited by being able to be that kid in the back yard with the stick, cardboard box, etc. and taking a sailing adventure or mission into space. Luckily, at Disney, they had REALLY GOOD cardboard boxes and sticks, so the stories created were even better (to the point that I, as a child, teen, and adult, could still suspend and PRETEND once again).

Bottom line, I wish Disney would stop TELLING stories. I wish they would return to PRESENTING the scene and letting guests do the rest, at least with some attractions.

:sohappy:

That is one fantastic post!

Even though I wouldn't mind seeing the Monsters Inc ride in TL, that's only because it would be a good ride. And I am currently not expecting anything good to come to that spot. But I also see your point here and agree with it as well.

bigang

walt said "tomorrow land offers new fronteirs in science, adventure,and ideals .....
then tomorrow land was rethemed to look like the future that never was

seems to me monsters inc is a better fit than the speedway ever was !!!

sgmco

I just love how on the same day this comes out, Jim Hill Media is spouting about Timekeeper---

Based on what I've been hearing lately, the Flying Saucers project appears to be making a comeback. Though the new thinking on this proposed Tomorrowland addition is that -- rather than placing a brand-new version of this old Disneyland favorite inside the old "Carousel of Progress" theater -- is that it should now be placed where "The Timekeeper" used to be located.

You know what? I'll believe it when it's completed!:brick: :brick: :brick:

KrazyKemp

Original Poster
Jim Hill isn't exactly the best when it comes to rumors and speculation...

Bring back the Flying Saucers???

I never heard that one before...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom