Time Share Disneyland

pj4963

Original Poster
I read Disney is going to have a time share resort. Are they building it or it one the one of the towers that have now?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
They have some in Grand Californian and are building some for the Disneyland Hotel.

Avoid timeshares, including Disney, they are a scam.
Please explain how DVC is a scam. Oh, and they aren't building or doing anything DVC related to the Disneyland Hotel. They are building a 4th resort that will be part DVC and part regular hotel.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Please explain how DVC is a scam. Oh, and they aren't building or doing anything DVC related to the Disneyland Hotel. They are building a 4th resort that will be part DVC and part regular hotel.
The 4th Hotel was cancelled in October 2018 after the Anaheim Tax Break was revoked, the DVC portion of the project was changed to the DVC Tower being added to the Disneyland Hotel was announced in November 2019.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Let me put it this way, they are not aggressively marketing DVC "membership" to give people a "good deal".

DVC is a way for the company to recieve up front capital from people to invest or throw into high yield savings accounts.

Anyone who understands money knows the value of upfront cash is worth a lot
more when invested over time.

If a DVC "member" instead of throwing Disney a 40k lump sum for a deposit on a 30 year "membership", instead put that money on stock market index funds, they'd come out way more ahead than DVC's "vacation savings" over 30 years.
Hmm, so you're saying that if I had invested my money 15 years ago, I could afford to stay at the Poly, GF, Contemporary, BC or BW for 2-3 weeks every year on the money I would have made from the stock market?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Yes with a lot left over.
You are really reaching there. The GF with just a garden view is over $8000 for my next stay. Since I paid only $30,000 for all of my DVC points, I can stay there twice on points for the same amount of time, so would be $16,000 this year alone. Over half of my "investment". So please tell me where I'm going to get 50% return on my money in just one year? And what about the other 24 stays I'vw taken in the last 15 years, a few of them in 3 bedroom grand villas? How would I pay for those out of my initial investment, and still have $16,000 for next years trips?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Let me put it this way, they are not aggressively marketing DVC "membership" to give people a "good deal".

DVC is a way for the company to recieve up front capital from people to invest or throw into high yield savings accounts.

Anyone who understands money knows the value of upfront cash is worth a lot
more when invested over time.

If a DVC "member" instead of throwing Disney a 40k lump sum for a deposit on a 30 year "membership", instead put that money on stock market index funds, they'd come out way more ahead than DVC's "vacation savings" over 30 years.
Timeshares themselves are not scams, but as with anything in life there are ways to be scammed via timeshares and bad timeshare companies.

It all comes down to the program itself and what someone who is purchasing the membership wants to get out of it. The more reputable the company providing the timeshare the less likely it is for it to be a scam.

At its core I wouldn't call DVC a scam. I also wouldn't call it an investment either. I would call it what it is, a vacation club. You're buying into a membership for the opportunity to vacation at Disney properties around the world.

Some people obviously see worth in the program otherwise it wouldn't be popular and expanding.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Then what's the purpose? To give Disney money upfront for no reason?
To save literally a ton of money on your resort costs over the life of the timeshare. We have saved, off the DISCOUNTED rates, over $50,000 since we bought in. If you look at rack rates, it's over $75,000 saved. I keep track of the best deals that Disney offers, and calculate what it would cost us based on the discount.

I am the first to admit, though, that DVC is NOT for everyone. If someone prefers value or moderate resorts, or only go there once every 4-5 years, then DVC is not for that person. If they prefer off-site, then DVC is definitely not for them. But it is still not a scam by any stretch of the imagination.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member

From October 25 2006 to October 24 2021 an investment in the S & P 500 (SPY) would yield a 341% return.
You are making a huge assumption about what people have picked for their portfolio. Exactly what stocks did you choose for your comparison?

So the return would have been just over $102,000 - if I take NOTHING out for Disney trips. Have you calculated that part as well? My room costs would have been $142,000 for the same period, not including the $16,000 from next year.

We can argue the point all day, but the final thing is that DVC is NOT an investment. Never has been, never will be. If you want to invest your money in stocks and never take any out for a Disney vacation, that is up to you. From your statements, nothing will change your mind that DVC is not for you. I'm perfectly fine with that, and I'm not trying to change your mind about buying into DVC.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

From October 25 2006 to October 24 2021 an investment in the S & P 500 (SPY) would yield a 341% return.
I have no dog in this fight, as I'm not a DVC member nor plan to be. BUT......

Just socking your money away into a fund or other stock investment is risky, just ask anyone who still hasn't been made whole after the 2008 financial crisis. There is no guarantee that you'll get that ROI year-after-year, decade-after-decade.

Not to mention, what is time worth.... There is something to be said about the value of memories made during a vacation, something that just socking your money away can't produce.

If you personally don't see value in DVC then don't purchase into it. But also don't admonish someone that wants to just because you don't.

truecoat

You are really reaching there. The GF with just a garden view is over $8000 for my next stay. Since I paid only $30,000 for all of my DVC points, I can stay there twice on points for the same amount of time, so would be $16,000 this year alone. Over half of my "investment". So please tell me where I'm going to get 50% return on my money in just one year? And what about the other 24 stays I'vw taken in the last 15 years, a few of them in 3 bedroom grand villas? How would I pay for those out of my initial investment, and still have $16,000 for next years trips?

Out of curiosity, what are the maintenance fees on these visits.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Im talking index funds, which have all greatly recovered since 2008. S and P 500 is a fund of the top 500 companies in the world and allows your money to grow with inflation. Low risk, low gains.
Point is still the same, there is no such thing as a guaranteed ROI in the stock market. You can remove as much risk as possible and you can still lose your money, the risk will always be there.

Plus as has been pointed out timeshares specifically DVC in this case is not an investment and shouldn't be seen as such. Its a membership into a vacation club which is not an investment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom