Time for New Shoes

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
I need new shoes....and I'm really stuck as to what to get. I've decided it's probably time to invest in some better running shoes...I pronate just a bit on my right foot, and would like a little cushion.

I'd prefer a shoe that isn't very stiff.....Any suggestions are helpful!

Erin_Akey

Brad,
Ben and I both got new shoes this past Friday- professionally fitted this time and for only about 30 bucks more than we paid for our last pair. We both over pronate and the running store fit us for some awesome shoes and we did three miles yesterday and had our personal best times for three miles.

My hubby Ben was having a problem with the balls of his left foot after the half and these shoes DID NOT give him that trouble.

Our running coach said no more than six months if you are doing 20 or more miles per week. We had been running in these for about nine months so it was time.

i am so glad we spent the extra money and got shoes that feel this good.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Lord dont ask me. :lol: Im on my 4th pair and the jury is still out. LOL. I suggest go get fitted. I finally did that instead of playing armchair fitting expert. This might be my pair (Saucony Ride3's)

Texas84

After some trial and error I've settled on the New Balance 1906 for the heel cushioning. Not cheap. But look for full cushioning for the back of the shoe. A little pronation is OK. The running store put me in a stability shoe and it messed me up bad. But I still recommend going to get fitted. I think I was 'over-diagnosed.'

mraphael

I recomend getting fitted for shoes. I pronate while I run, but NOT while I walk. You need a shoe with good support. I LOVE my Brookes Adreneline shoes. LOVE THEM. And, when you have 300-500 miles on your shoes, replace them. The range depends on where you do your runs and your body type. The heavier you are, the sooner you should replace them.

MKCP 1985

One person's awesome shoes are another person's nightmare. Get fitted! :D

I've been wearing Spira for the last 2 years and they have been great to me. Absolutely no foot pain the day after finishing the Goofy Challenge.

Main Street USA

I use Saucony Ride 3s, as well. It's a popular shoe for a very good reason. It has a nice wide base like almost all Sauconys do, and the cushion is fantastic. Love mine...I'm on my second pair.

lukacseven

One person's awesome shoes are another person's nightmare. Get fitted! :D

I've been wearing Spira for the last 2 years and they have been great to me. Absolutely no foot pain the day after finishing the Goofy Challenge.

Obviously you like the Spira shoes. I've only ever seen them at the past 2-3 Disney events. I've been running for the past few years in Newton. I was wondering how they compare (both fit and price). Have you ever tried the Newtons? My only issue is that I keep trying different shoes and always end up going back and spending the $175 for the Newtons. They have a zero heel-to-toe ratio racing flat coming out this summer. Hopefully they are priced a little more affordably.

MKCP 1985

Obviously you like the Spira shoes. I've only ever seen them at the past 2-3 Disney events. I've been running for the past few years in Newton. I was wondering how they compare (both fit and price). Have you ever tried the Newtons? My only issue is that I keep trying different shoes and always end up going back and spending the $175 for the Newtons. They have a zero heel-to-toe ratio racing flat coming out this summer. Hopefully they are priced a little more affordably.

I have only been running for 3 years, and a bad experience with a pair of Nikes at the Tower of Terror 13K forced me to search out something better. A local shop stocked the Spira shoes and they performed very well. Last year's wet Disney Marathon weekend caused me to seek out a second pair of shoes for the full marathon. Against better judgment, but with no other acceptable options, I bought a pair of Spiras at the expo and ran the full marathon in them the next day. Surprisingly, I developed no blisters, no toe nail problems and my feet felt fine the following day. I am going to need new shoes soon, and will get fitted at the local Run n Tri store before making another purchase, but my experience with Spira has been so good it will be a hard time getting me into another brand of shoes.

joel_maxwell

I have only been running for 3 years, and a bad experience with a pair of Nikes at the Tower of Terror 13K forced me to search out something better. A local shop stocked the Spira shoes and they performed very well. Last year's wet Disney Marathon weekend caused me to seek out a second pair of shoes for the full marathon. Against better judgment, but with no other acceptable options, I bought a pair of Spiras at the expo and ran the full marathon in them the next day. Surprisingly, I developed no blisters, no toe nail problems and my feet felt fine the following day. I am going to need new shoes soon, and will get fitted at the local Run n Tri store before making another purchase, but my experience with Spira has been so good it will be a hard time getting me into another brand of shoes.
IMHO and in a lot of my friends that are trainers or associated with trainers, Nike's product is crap. Pure crap from an ergonomically stand point.

joel_maxwell

LOL, perhaps so but I love my Nike Equalons! :)
:lol: I know they work for some. Probably a lot. Hey, they win the "Best Marketing and Design of Look" anyday.

I don't remember the name of them, but my sister recently purchased these fantastic "webbed feet" shoes that helped her times significantly.

EDIT: Found them, http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm
I wonder how long this trend will last. I have read some recent articles that this is causing future back problems etc. They claim that running barefoot is natural and that is how people ran for years. I argue that running barefoot in a field with a dirt or grass base is one thing, running barefoot on concrete or asphalt is another.

To each is own though. Whatever works.

I don't remember the name of them, but my sister recently purchased these fantastic "webbed feet" shoes that helped her times significantly.

EDIT: Found them, http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/index.htm

I am a new runner, and have been running in Vibram Fivefingers for 5 months and I love mine. I started with the sprints, but switched to the trek sports a month ago for the additional tred on the bottom. My husband also wears fivefingers and has said that his knee pain is much reduced/almost eliminated. (He had two major surgeries in the last 8 years)

bellissimo

:lol: I know they work for some. Probably a lot. Hey, they win the "Best Marketing and Design of Look" anyday.

I wonder how long this trend will last. I have read some recent articles that this is causing future back problems etc. They claim that running barefoot is natural and that is how people ran for years. I argue that running barefoot in a field with a dirt or grass base is one thing, running barefoot on concrete or asphalt is another.

To each is own though. Whatever works.

Not to start anything, but I don't think calling it a "trend" is an accurate diagnosis. Yes, it's a movement that is popular, but with the exception of a few idiots here and there, most people who are willing to spend $100 on a pair of toe shoes know what they're buying into. There have been countless studies on studies that show that barefoot running, or minimalist running, is better than running in a pair of trainers that encourages one to strike their foot in such a way that unnecessary stress is put on one's heel from the impact. It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but if you take the time to read 'Born to Run' or other books on barefoot running, you'll definitely find just as much proof of the benefits of running barefoot as you'll ever find of running with clunky shoes. :wave:

EDIT: Oh- and for the record, I am that sister that 0ogabooha mentioned. I developed severe patella tendinitis this cross country season, did my best to run through it (opposed to resting), and while doing so, made the switch to Vibrams. Not only did my tendinitis seem to dissapear completely, but when running in them during the Disney half this year, I felt no pain whatsoever. Part of it is mental, I'm sure, but it would be far from an understatement to say that the shoes didn't contribute to it. And wearing them has improved my form, as well- I have Raynaud's syndrome, so wearing them in the winter isn't an option where I live. However, thanks to the lack of padding, my footstrike is now much healthier than before.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
Original Poster
Ordered a pair of Saucony Guide 3's. They are kind of like the Ride 3's, but with a bit more stabalization. I had to order them, as they didn't have my size (boo).

Looking forward to starting to train with them as soon as they come in.

Main Street USA

I am a new runner, and have been running in Vibram Fivefingers for 5 months and I love mine. I started with the sprints, but switched to the trek sports a month ago for the additional tred on the bottom. My husband also wears fivefingers and has said that his knee pain is much reduced/almost eliminated. (He had two major surgeries in the last 8 years)
I own a pair of Vibrams for casual/everyday use in the summer, but I would NEVER run in them, as I'm a strong heel striker. Heel striking and no padding is a disaster.

SleepingMonk

Just started in a new pair of Nike Free Run+ last month and an awesome pair of Nike Mayfly I have yet to really test.

Love the concept behind the Mayfly though and they feel perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom