Tiffy's is Closed

TP2000

Bring back Belisles! (I am old) Bring back Belisles! (I am old) Bring back Belisles! (I am old)

View attachment 448970

I was at a dinner party recently and we were all talking about this! Belisle's was legendary and is still greatly missed.

Belisle's was at the corner of Harbor and Chapman, and it opened the same year as Disneyland, 1955. It was a great American coffee shop, family owned by Harvey and Charlotte Belisle, and it quickly became famous for its fresh pies and huge servings of high quality comfort food. It closed in the mid 1990's as the dinner party guests seemed to remember (correct me if I'm wrong), and its loss was sad and stunning for many in central OC. It was the polar opposite of Tiffy's.

It's former location on that corner is now an Outback Steakhouse.

vintage-belisles-restaurant-menu_1_40fab59d0697908638f7ed715474b7c4.jpg

Last edited:

LOSTIE

I remember my dad and I went here one evening before a Disnseyland Half-Marathon event to carboload, all I can remember was that the experience was subpar and food was less than stellar. My dad coined the place "Stiffy's" after that, it was our little running joke. We never went back but always smiled whenver we drove pass by it. They had Disneyland to thank for steady business all these years.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
I'm kinda surprised. Not that I'm in the market, @Darkbeer1, but what would be a fair price?

Too many varitables.

But drawbacks. Small lot size, zoning, and that the building is old (not ADA compliant).

I would offer half of that, plan to tear down the building, then build a fast food chain restaurant in its place. (No Drive thru would be allowed by the city)

TP2000

I remember my dad and I went here one evening before a Disnseyland Half-Marathon event to carboload, all I can remember was that the experience was subpar and food was less than stellar. My dad coined the place "Stiffy's" after that, it was our little running joke. We never went back but always smiled whenver we drove pass by it. They had Disneyland to thank for steady business all these years.

I think it was able to coast on its location for decades. But in the age of Yelp, an increasing number of hungry tourists will take 5 seconds to check a rating, and that dooms places like Tiffy's.

It had 2 and a half stars on Yelp! That's horrible. https://www.yelp.com/biz/tiffys-family-restaurant-anaheim?osq=tiffy's+family+restaurant

I can't even imagine the level of hunger I would have to experience to walk into Tiffy's with 2 and a half stars, especially when Coco's right next door has 3 and a half stars. I can wax wistfully for the good old days quite easily, but there are whiz-bang modern things like Yelp that have dramatically changed how we experience the world and how we avoid greasy spoon rat traps like Tiffy's. And Tiffy's has no one to blame but themselves for their failure.

LOSTIE

I think it was able to coast on its location for decades. But in the age of Yelp, an increasing number of hungry tourists will take 5 seconds to check a rating, and that dooms places like Tiffy's.

It had 2 and a half stars on Yelp! That's horrible. https://www.yelp.com/biz/tiffys-family-restaurant-anaheim?osq=tiffy's+family+restaurant

I can't even imagine the level of hunger I would have to experience to walk into Tiffy's with 2 and a half stars, especially when Coco's right next door has 3 and a half stars. I can wax wistfully for the good old days quite easily, but there are whiz-bang modern things like Yelp that have dramatically changed how we experience the world and how we avoid greasy spoon rat traps like Tiffy's. And Tiffy's has no one to blame but themselves for their failure.
So true! We went to Stiffy's before the age of Yelp. I'd imagine that social media made a dent on business, online reputation is everything especially in the hospitality industry.

TP2000

So true! We went to Stiffy's before the age of Yelp. I'd imagine that social media made a dent on business, online reputation is everything especially in the hospitality industry.

Stiffy's. Why did you have to wait for that place to close before you let us in on that hilarious nickname?!?

It's very clever. And this coming from the man who humbly brought us Millennium Falcon: Target Run (a cutesy inside joke here) and Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn (which seems to have some staying power as a nickname).

DLR92

Now will someone please close down Captain Kids....

Mmmmm, pork by products....

this-is-their-ham-it.jpg

City hall, think of the children.
348s.jpg

I would NEVER recommend Captain Kids...that food being served is barf worthy!

Regarding to Tiffy’s. It look like the owner is selling off the business. Who ever comes in and buy it can continue on or relaunch a new establishment. Hopefully a new establishment...

TP2000

Demolition of Tiffy's started this morning. Building is already half gone.

Fabulous news!

I said months ago that it would be wise for the Westin to buy this Tiffy's property so they can expand and realign the entrance lanes to their parking garage behind the hotel.

If it's not used for that, the most this plot of land could be would be a Starbucks with a drive-thru window. This is not a big piece of land.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
Fabulous news!

I said months ago that it would be wise for the Westin to buy this Tiffy's property so they can expand and realign the entrance lanes to their parking garage behind the hotel.

If it's not used for that, the most this plot of land could be would be a Starbucks with a drive-thru window. This is not a big piece of land.

Pretty sure that the city won't approve any changes to driveways. So no drive thru option.

flutas

So, I was curious as to what would be going in there, and all I can gather is... nothing. Talk about an expensive parking lot.

First of all, it sold for a cool $4,350,000 earlier this year to a company called "Ben's Ice Cream." My first thought was a Ben & Jerry's, but alas my first thought was wrong. Looking up the company name on the CA business search website, I find that Ben's Ice Cream is a brand new LLC formed for the sole purpose, according to the documentation provided to the state, to "hold deed to real property." This did give me their CA company address, which is 888 S DISNEYLAND DR #340. This leads to a property management company (Wincome hospitality), who's list of properties just so happens to include the Westin.

So it all seems to circle around that The Westin bought the site and is paving over it for an expanded parking lot.

Or it's a big coincidence that the property management company who happens to manage the westin bought the land through a non operating LLC. o_O

Phroobar

So, I was curious as to what would be going in there, and all I can gather is... nothing. Talk about an expensive parking lot.

First of all, it sold for a cool $4,350,000 earlier this year to a company called "Ben's Ice Cream." My first thought was a Ben & Jerry's, but alas my first thought was wrong. Looking up the company name on the CA business search website, I find that Ben's Ice Cream is a brand new LLC formed for the sole purpose, according to the documentation provided to the state, to "hold deed to real property." This did give me their CA company address, which is 888 S DISNEYLAND DR #340. This leads to a property management company (Wincome hospitality), who's list of properties just so happens to include the Westin.

So it all seems to circle around that The Westin bought the site and is paving over it for an expanded parking lot.

Or it's a big coincidence that the property management company who happens to manage the westin bought the land through a non operating LLC. o_O
So you are saying Disney bought it under a dummy misdirection corporation in order to build a theme park there just like they did Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom