Tier System?!?

jloucks

There again they could build more must-see attractions.
Demand would just grow with the number of attractions. You would think that if you doubled the number of attractions you would halve wait times right? Nope, because the wait time itself is a demand determinate. You decrease wait time, you increase demand, and the lines are just as long as they ever were.

And this is precisely why there are less and less off season times to go. There is a demand for a crowd free experience. People actually alter their plans to avoid long wait times and are doing so in such numbers that off-season times are becoming a thing of the past. It is ironic really, in just avoiding what you think is a busy time, you are creating another busy time.

Price is the only thing that is going to control (decrease) wait times, assuming quality/safety remains static.

thomas998

So, first off, sorry if this has been discussed on another thread. Frankly, I'm too lazy to search the myriad and wasteland of new bathroom paint job threads and where they moved someone's most beloved trash can posts.

That said, we frequent WDW around every 4 years and DL a few times a year (not now that we're living on the east coast). We're heading down to WDW for the week of December 3rd and we just used the mydisneyexperiece to book all our fastpasses for the week. This will be our first trip since 2012 and the first time setting up our trip with the new system. But, since my wife is very meticulous with just about every detail (OCD really), we thought that this would work out pretty good for us. And I get the whole "plan your week" thing that Disney is trying to do to make things "easier" while on your vacation.

However...

In our multiple phone calls to Disney customer service for booking, modifying, adding, and removing things for the last 4 months, we were never ONCE told about the Tier system that Epcot and DHS have in place. My wife found out the hard way this morning as she was trying to set up fast passes for Frozen and Soarin'. She had to call in and have someone tell her that this system was in place and gave her a tip to just get over to Soarin' early in the morning and hope for the best. Really? The agent said that they try to do the tier system in those two parks so that people will go on the other rides in the parks and helps spread out the flow of people.

Here's an idea Disney, make more friggin' attractions that people want to go on! Rather than punishing people that are staying on property and waking up early in the morning to try and get a spot on your waiting list for a new ride and jumping through hoops to plan (she got frozen for 6pm, 3 minutes after it was available for us to book it, wow. Just think if she was 4 minutes into our window, we wouldn't have gotten it), build some stuff people want to do!! This just screams out 'we're desperate!' for business on our other rides.

Sorry for the rant, but dang, I can't believe that Epcot is turning into a half-day park before it gets refurbed. At least we got Frozen I guess.

Better yet, eliminate all the rides at EPCOT. The place makes a better world exposition attraction than anything else so they should embrace that. Make it a place for Disney guests to visit that doesn't have the excessive queues. Unfortunately for those with kids when you go to EPCOT you have to get past the ride lines of doom to get to the world exposition area and it ends up being a bit like the grocery store that puts candy at the check out line not because they think you really want any or might have forgotten but because they know you're going to have kids with you and they kids will drive you crazy asking for it while you are standing in line.

NelsonRD

Demand would just grow with the number of attractions. You would think that if you doubled the number of attractions you would halve wait times right? Nope, because the wait time itself is a demand determinate. You decrease wait time, you increase demand, and the lines are just as long as they ever were.

And this is precisely why there are less and less off season times to go. There is a demand for a crowd free experience. People actually alter their plans to avoid long wait times and are doing so in such numbers that off-season times are becoming a thing of the past. It is ironic really, in just avoiding what you think is a busy time, you are creating another busy time.

Price is the only thing that is going to control (decrease) wait times, assuming quality/safety remains static.

Wait times would go down with more attractions because you are afforded 3 fast passes, at parks that only have 5 worthwhile attractions, and 2 worthy of a fastpass. Long lines are created by the fastpass/standby ratio. With more attractions to choose from, wait times at other attractions will go down because less people would hold a fastpass for "Spaceship Earth" or "Living with the Land", because they have to pick 2 more for something. Similarly, with new attractions, less would fastpass "Soarin" and "Test Track", thus increasing standby throughput, and less time in line. Headliners will remain long, but that is nothing new, fastpass or not.

jloucks

Wait times would go down with more attractions because you are afforded 3 fast passes, at parks that only have 5 worthwhile attractions, and 2 worthy of a fastpass. Long lines are created by the fastpass/standby ratio. With more attractions to choose from, wait times at other attractions will go down because less people would hold a fastpass for "Spaceship Earth" or "Living with the Land", because they have to pick 2 more for something. Similarly, with new attractions, less would fastpass "Soarin" and "Test Track", thus increasing standby throughput, and less time in line. Headliners will remain long, but that is nothing new, fastpass or not.
True, assuming the crowds don't increase at the same percentage as the ride supply does. ...but I am pretty sure they would.

BigRedDad

b7d.jpg

MissingDisney

My comment wasn't meant as a reflection on the quality of the attraction -- but I believe the consensus is that Frozen is, far and away, the toughest FP+ to obtain at present, and one of the only FP+ from which some visitors are totally shut out, even when making their FP+ 180+ days out from their trip.

My own experience supports this -- in making my family's FP+ for an upcoming trip just a short time ago, I had no trouble getting FP+ for Test Track, Soarin', TSMM, RnR, 7DMT, etc. -- only Frozen had very little availability; it was totally "sold out" for the first 3 days of our trip, with very limited availability on the remaining days.
I thought FP were 60 and 30 days in advance based on whether you were staying on property. Did this change?

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So we're completely overlooking the fact that standby times for things such as SM in the 90's easily reached over 2 hours with no FP at all. :confused: The problem isn't FP or FP+. It's the number of people going to the parks to experience the best attractions. Yes, if there were more it might decrease certain wait times - but in all likelihood, the number of people going would simply increase, and there would be no change in the wait times.

ajkraz

The tiers suck but you shouldn't be able to just book fast passes for Frozen, test track and soarin while someone who is going first time could be stuck with spaceship earth, mission:space and living with the land. Also if it's that big of a problem, then you can try and snipe out fast passes that are being dropped, we went to extra magic hours at DHS and went on Rockin Roller coaster 4 times (an hour wait at least everytime) and tower of terror at least 15 times (half an hour wait all night) because people either dropped the fast pass or didn't show up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom