Ticketing/Entry System Crash

BoarderPhreak

As a software developer, I see issues like bad custom code and a total lack of documentation all the time. It just adds time to the job when I have to try to decipher what the heck was the previous person trying to do here? And I know that lots of companies hate paying the salary that senior folks like myself command, and think that some junior level person is going to be able to do the job as well as I, who has been in IT for over 40 years, and coding for over 30 of them. And when it's all messed up, they come to me anyways, and I get it fixed up for them.
Amen. We get paid either way, but it's usually cheaper had they used us the first time around. 😉

Unplugged

As an IT Professional, the scary thing about all these poste is not only the truth behind them, but the fact that the complete failure of executives and upper management to make deployments bullet proof due to their ignorance. I'm old school when it comes to IT, NOT old technology, but more so from a Best Practices school. That is, document your code, document the tool or app for the user (also helpful to the next developer), proper environments (Development > QA > Test > Production), etc. Ironically, my manager is always touting how he used to work for Disney, but he also is of the "just do it" breed with zero documentation and lack of proper testing or process controls. Personally I think he missed his calling as Disney would love that lack-of-process right now (and I could do with a more rigid & productive environment).

Voxel

President of Progress City
As a software developer, I see issues like bad custom code and a total lack of documentation all the time. It just adds time to the job when I have to try to decipher what the heck was the previous person trying to do here? And I know that lots of companies hate paying the salary that senior folks like myself command, and think that some junior level person is going to be able to do the job as well as I, who has been in IT for over 40 years, and coding for over 30 of them. And when it's all messed up, they come to me anyways, and I get it fixed up for them.
My favorite argument is okay we will replace this Level 4 developer/SME and replace them with 3 Level 1s. It's cheaper, plus there is so much competition for promotions that we won't have to promote them or give them raises for 5 years. Then we wonder why the junior engineers leave.. Our job as a Software Developer is screwed either way, and sadly I found out I'm more of a PowerPoint Engineer spending all my time trying get Leadership to understand what I'm doing instead of doing it.

AT this point, I just wanna find a decent development job working from home.

BoarderPhreak

Pretty much always true!
Yup! Pick two...

GOOD-FAST-CHEAP.jpg

ImperfectPixie

I'm right there with all you guys. I've done graphics work, some professional IT, coding, and management...it's always fun when you're tossed the junk from 4 employees ago, so no one even remembers anything about the project anymore except that it exists. As a manager, I tied up as many loose ends as I possibly could and developed procedures to ensure new people weren't completely at a loss and that knowledge of projects didn't leave with specific people. My boss thought it was a waste, but after a few meetings in which I outlined how much time would be saved in the future, he relented and let me clean up a lot throughout my department and develop some procedures that made things move much more efficiently between departments.

EDIT: That last part...the company was basically a huge s***show with one hand not knowing what the other was doing when I got hired.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
A few years ago, Harvard released a study that most execs and managers got into their positions through networking and luck, and didn’t really know what they’re doing. It was a sobering analysis.
@bUU

PSA.

Do not read the quoted post. Your head might explode.

Smiley/OCD

The biggest problem, I would think, is those guests not knowledgeable enough to know what their options really are, and believe they're stuck with waiting.
Not knowledgeable enough? Now I guess all the first timers should have a vested CM to lead them personally over to a shaded area or out of the horde of guests to explain their options...maybe if they got off twitter complaining about what was going on and use google to try to get some options, the outcome would have been better. I'm sure there were a few lawyers in that group organizing a class action lawsuit for the time wasted..the medical bills for heat exhaustion/stroke. Sorry, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say..."You know what? Until the problem gets fixed, I'm either going to walk up the covered monorail entrance, walk to the covered bus stops, or walk over to the Contemporary. C'mon, folks, let's do a little decision making for ourselves...

lazyboy97o

Not knowledgeable enough? Now I guess all the first timers should have a vested CM to lead them personally over to a shaded area or out of the horde of guests to explain their options...maybe if they got off twitter complaining about what was going on and use google to try to get some options, the outcome would have been better. I'm sure there were a few lawyers in that group organizing a class action lawsuit for the time wasted..the medical bills for heat exhaustion/stroke. Sorry, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to say..."You know what? Until the problem gets fixed, I'm either going to walk up the covered monorail entrance, walk to the covered bus stops, or walk over to the Contemporary. C'mon, folks, let's do a little decision making for ourselves...
There are plenty of threads started here with people asking if non-guests can wander the resorts. The system usually goes down at all of the parks, so it makes no sense to go to a different park.

Smiley/OCD

There are plenty of threads started here with people asking if non-guests can wander the resorts. The system usually goes down at all of the parks, so it makes no sense to go to a different park.
I never said to "wander" the resort...just get out of the heat and stay in the lobby. I also never said anything about going to another park...did you read what I wrote?

SteveAZee

getting Wayyyy off topic, but... my best professor in college was my Advanced COBOL prof at a junior college. The first assignment was to write a program from scratch. Every assignment after that was a modification to existing code, from prior assignments. But, here's the kicker: we never modified the same code. With each assignment we switched and had to modify code someone else had written. Nothing hammers home the lesson of structured programming and good inline documentation like having to modify code written by someone else. Years later in my career I was so thankful for having learned that lesson. There were many times I went back to code I wrote and would have been lost had it not been for the comments I had put in the code from prior updates. I just don't understand why structured programming and documentation are not taught anymore...

Now, back to the topic... Has anyone heard what caused the issue?
I thought the only value to COBOL was that it was self-documenting. 😉

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Two Cents worth? Ignore me - I used to manage IT Security for Dow Chemical.

EVERY Computer Network on the planet WILL fail. All it takes is a massive power outage, or (worst case), an EMP blast.
The question for a business is easy: when disaster strikes, can you revert to non-computer technology, circa 1954?
We used to call this "paper" and "people". A solid non-tech backup plan is fairly basic.

Ugly, slow, but it works. Worth asking.... how many people still have a checkbook, involving PAPER checks? Or actually carry Money?
See? THAT is a primitive technology back-up plan. Always have one. Business may slow - but it does not vanish.

lazyboy97o

I never said to "wander" the resort...just get out of the heat and stay in the lobby. I also never said anything about going to another park...did you read what I wrote?
Sitting in the lobby would still be under the notion of wandering. You’re not staying at the resort and lots of people are unsure if you can just visit. People just sitting on the monorail would just be taking up space when others may be trying to use the system to get somewhere. The situation is Disney’s fault and guests should not be blamed.

Orangeanna

I'm not even going to get into the tech stuff but I do think a little more compensation on Disney's part might have gone a long way to help mitigate the situation. Balloons, gift cards, suggestions of where they could wait. Heck, bring a couple characters out to the train platform, put on a show. Just anything more than free water. I'm sure cms were doing their best but it's " once in a lifetime" for many people. Let's be kind. Disney has an arsenal of tools, use them. Sure, it won't fix everything but guests will remember how hard they tried. We're asking guests to make the most of it, how about Disney? Not a tech genius just 25 years of waiting tables talking.

Orangeanna

Isn't that a magical moment? When Disney takes a negative and makes it a memory? How about free umbrellas? A souvenir and shelter from the Florida sun. Shouldn't there be misters at the gates? They do help. I've read they're all over in Tokyo Disney. I go a lot, never seen them at gates, a couple in AK.

Smiley/OCD

Sitting in the lobby would still be under the notion of wandering. You’re not staying at the resort and lots of people are unsure if you can just visit. People just sitting on the monorail would just be taking up space when others may be trying to use the system to get somewhere. The situation is Disney’s fault and guests should not be blamed.
I also didn't say to go into a monorail, I said go under the covered roof to get out of the sun. I don't think any CM at the Contemporary would have a problem with guest(s) getting into some a/c under that situation. If they did, that would open up a whole new set of problems...

lazyboy97o

I also didn't say to go into a monorail, I said go under the covered roof to get out of the sun. I don't think any CM at the Contemporary would have a problem with guest(s) getting into some a/c under that situation. If they did, that would open up a whole new set of problems...
You’re still advising people to block the access of others. That guests should inconvenience other guests because of a problem created by Disney. If people don’t think the hotels are open to non-guests, they’re not going to know they can walk there or that they will be let inside. Leaving the area also means leaving information on access being restored.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom