News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
There was a lot of back in forth about whether the upbeat changes to the final lift would actually even make the ride less scary at all since the drop still exists. But with more explicit statements from the heads of the project that they did indeed consider Splash scary and were attempting to make alterations to the scenes to make it less so, that's not really up for debate anymore.
Here's what I remember:

There were two "less scary" debates.

One group was lamenting that the interior set-up for the drop was going from setting up how scary it will be, to downplaying how scary it will be with a more upbeat story.

The people against that were: "OK, that's fine." They were *not* saying "Oh, no, they wouldn't dare make the set-up more cheery and less scary." So, there is a straw man argument here. No one was doubting a change in the story. Unless one can find some quotes...

Now, the other debate was the outside of the ride was being 'dressed' in some way to minimize how scary the drop is. This group included those claiming some sort of forced perspective was going on to that end. The people against that were people like me who basically said, "Ummm... can you point out where this forced perspective is? Are they making the flowers smaller or bigger as you go up the mountain?"

celluloid

Shocked we haven’t gotten a date yet since next week is likely Halfway to Halloween so that will be the marketing focus. 🎃

Thinking that means closer to July.

Universal has the parade, nighttime show and Dreamworks Land ready to announce premier dates.

And the latter shoots to officially open by June 14 with technical prior.

I don't see Tiana's opening before June 21st likely. Seems like a stretch at this point but maybe they rush.

donaldtoo

Dude, get off your phone and get back to work…you’re gonna’ make some folks here miss the opening…!!!

6B809D83-640D-497D-8048-2EA2ADBA4340.jpeg

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Ted Robledo, Charita Carter and the Walt Disney World Ambassadors surprised the Chase Family in New Orleans with a trip to Walt Disney World to experience Tiana’s Bayou Adventure for the first time.

Disney additionally made Stella Chase an honorary Imagineer and WGNO reported another daughter of Leah Chase’s named Leah will have her voice featured on Tiana's Bayou Adventure.

The family was also presented with an official attraction poster.

View attachment 780065

Here's video from the event.

A link to the article on the surprise can be found below.

Adding on here with the local paper story:

"The Chase family’s trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando will take place as part of an attraction preview for media and other invited guests scheduled for mid-June. The attraction will open to the public later in the summer, although an exact date has yet to be announced."

I understand that @lentesta shared more specific dates so this is at least a public article that can be freely shared.

Also, "As part of Wednesday’s event, Disney announced that Reese’s musical sister, also named Leah Chase, recorded a rendition of “Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?” to be included in a faux radio show that will play for guests waiting in line to ride Tiana’s Bayou Adventure."

Jungle Cruise vibes with the radio show. Guess yesterday was about film songs played by critters but I guess they could instead be part of queue.

ETA: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nture-surprise/?CMP=SOC-DPFY24Q2wo0418240005F

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

Adding on here with the local paper story:

"The Chase family’s trip to Walt Disney World in Orlando will take place as part of an attraction preview for media and other invited guests scheduled for mid-June. The attraction will open to the public later in the summer, although an exact date has yet to be announced."

I understand that @lentesta shared more specific dates so this is at least a public article that can be freely shared.

Also, "As part of Wednesday’s event, Disney announced that Reese’s musical sister, also named Leah Chase, recorded a rendition of “Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?” to be included in a faux radio show that will play for guests waiting in line to ride Tiana’s Bayou Adventure."

Jungle Cruise vibes with the radio show. Guess yesterday was about film songs played by critters but I guess they could instead be part of queue.

ETA: https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...nture-surprise/?CMP=SOC-DPFY24Q2wo0418240005F
Not sure that’s an official statement from Disney, but it does sound more like a July 4 (or so) grand opening if so.

brettf22

Premium Member

Jungle Cruise vibes with the radio show.
Nice! I always enjoy those queue radio atmosphere settings.

Of course, the most important thing in the queue is whether or not those sweet, sweet air conditioning cannons in the ceiling will still remain. Standing under those is truly magical.

MerlinTheGoat

what about the people who were adamant there would only be 17 animatronics on the ride? That they would all have projection faces / eyes?
I saw very few people who just automatically and flatly assumed they would have projected faces/eyes. Just generally hope that they wouldn't. I also think facial projection was considered early on, but lately Disney has been moving away from that due to maintenance apparently being worse than traditional AA's.

For the "17 animatronics" thing, part of that does seem to be misconstrued, but we're not exactly in the clear just yet. I don't know the exact number myself, but there's unfortunately a possibility that there will only be about 20 or so legitimate animatronics, with the remainder being simple moving props ala Little Mermaid. And given Disney's proclivity to conflate real animatronics with these sorts of simplistic props, their "dozens" number may be padded to include things that aren't actual AA's. That Beaver character for instance is a very simplistic prop in the same vein as Mermaid's (albeit a higher quality skin) and definitely not an AA. If that ends up being the sort of motion that most of the critter figures will have, then the concerns about a lack of AA's will still have been very valid. The quartet of frogs they showed recently will also likely be either static or only have basic movements in their earlier scene. I'm not able to put an exact number on how many genuine AA's it will ultimately have, but it's definitely a concern that is on my mind now.

That the railing in front of the drop is going to be left unthemed?
I have given them the benefit of the doubt that they will disguise this since thus far they've followed through with properly replicating everything from the models. They have also finally begun to install greenery in that locaton. But we'll see, hopefully they are able to FULLY cover it too. I err on trusting that they probably will, but it is admittedly a rather tall railing. And Disney has a track record as of late for not properly disguising a lot of glaring structural parts in their attractions. Like the spaceship at the entrance of Cosmic Rewind (which has a massive ugly base bracket that wasn't present in the concept art) as well as the giant building behind it. Or a number of intrusions around Tron.

Being concerned about the railing isn't exactly unfounded. I'll wait and see what they do, but I don't blame people for being worried. It was always obvious that they would be adding greenery to camouflage it, so assumptions that it would remain entirely naked would be unfounded. But it remains to be seen if they can fully hide it from view.

Incidentally, I sort of wonder if the railing can drop down at all to make it shorter. Once the testing in that area is done I mean and there aren't any more workers frequenting that platform.

MerlinTheGoat

So is it just me, or does July 4th sound like a REALLY stupid grand opening? Unless they've fallen WAY behind. Though ideally, I don't think opening it on any relatively major holiday is a good idea. I was never told a date regardless, but July 4th is legitimately one of the absolute worst days they could go with. Right alongside Easter, Thanksgiving Halloween and New Years. Second only to Christmas...

I always figured May was way too optimistic though, let alone April.

Unbanshee

So is it just me, or does July 4th sound like a REALLY stupid grand opening? Unless they've fallen WAY behind. Makes more sense and the park would also not be nearly as overcrowded. Though ideally, I don't think opening it on any relatively major holiday is a good idea. I was never told a date regardless, but July 4th is legitimately one of the absolute worst days they could go with. Right alongside Easter, Thanksgiving Halloween and New Years. Second only to Christmas...

You sure?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom