News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

mickEblu

Far from random, it's planned with incredible attention to detail of both audience metrics and algorhythm analytics.

Maybe that’s why nothing makes sense anymore. Because we’re thinking like people and they have all these advanced analytics driving their decisions. The question is when is it more beneficial to go back to the basics and when are the analytics useful.

DisneyDodo

The main issue, as I see it, stems from a struggle to marry the "Tiana glam-styling" with rural farm life. The concept just isn't gelling. Visually, it's all over the place. We have a colorful yet still weathered barn plastered with near-psychedelic murals, but it doesn't work. We have a rustic fence along the ride path with what appears to be "decals" of chopped vegetables, and it's supposed to somehow evoke the 1930s. We have a printed banner that was... (removed? TBD?) And a parked truck that doesn't feel grounded in reality because it's too showy and pristine for its locale—not at all like a real rural food-coop daily commuter work truck. I just think WDI is at odds on how to present anything. And when they go cheap, it shows.

It's probably too late in the game for them to change anything now, but there's been some really good insight by other forum members detailing ways these issues can be remedied. I don't know if WDI is just not seeing it or doesn't care. Either is a cause for concern.
I agree with your critiques, but I really don’t think money is the issue here. It’s not that they’re leaving things out that should be there, but rather, that they’re trying to do too many things at once.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to their obsession with trying to tick every DEI box on this attraction, despite some of those boxes often contradicting each other.

If they try to be too authentic, they’ll get hit with questions on why all the white princesses get lavish castles and glamorous dresses, while the black princess is left to work the field on an old-fashioned, musty farm. OTOH, if they lean too hard into the fantasy aspect, they’ll be criticized for white-washing history and failing to depict what life was really like for a black woman in 1930s NOLA. So they try to answer both questions at once, and it, er, just doesn’t work.

[Note: I am not trying to derail this thread by rehashing debates over whether this ride ever should have been rethemed to begin with. This post is only meant to give commentary on the construction developments going on right now.]

Incomudro

I agree with your critiques, but I really don’t think money is the issue here. It’s not that they’re leaving things out that should be there, but rather, that they’re trying to do too many things at once.

Ultimately, I think it comes down to their obsession with trying to tick every DEI box on this attraction, despite some of those boxes often contradicting each other.

If they try to be too authentic, they’ll get hit with questions on why all the white princesses get lavish castles and glamorous dresses, while the black princess is left to work the field on an old-fashioned, musty farm. OTOH, if they lean too hard into the fantasy aspect, they’ll be criticized for white-washing history and failing to depict what life was really like for a black woman in 1930s NOLA. So they try to answer both questions at once, and it, er, just doesn’t work.

[Note: I am not trying to derail this thread by rehashing debates over whether this ride ever should have been rethemed to begin with. This post is only meant to give commentary on the construction developments going on right now.]
If only they had a film offering an excellent source to base this ride off of...

Sectorkeeper71

We will learn more during Season 1, Episode 6: The Tax Audit

Apparently, an IRS agent will warn Tiana that he has friends on the other side who she will meet if she doesn’t stop paying under the table.
I’ve been replaying red dead redemption 2, and I’m picturing the pinkerton’s being after Tiana and Co for tax evasion!

MistaDee

"Employee Owned" emblemized on the truck and sign is what I have the most difficult part with.
Would that really be a thing that would be touted with signage in the 1920's?
It's a term that people are into now, like "sustainability," "green," etc.
A 2020's term used in a 1920's setting.
I don't think consumers - which is who signs are for - really cared about those things back then.

What gives you the idea that worker-owned businesses are a modern invention? I'm gonna set aside the questionable idea that sustainability and environmentalism are merely "terms" that people are "into now," and the limited view that signs can only be for consumers and instead address the claim that collectives are a modern term used anachronistically.

If you're familiar with this country's history of labor relations in general, or agricultural collectives specifically, you might know that collectivist organizations were actually far more prominent in our past than they are today. The first rural collective in the US was formed in 1810 and they really started gaining steam following the Civil War in the 1880s.

I was somewhat surprised myself to see that the 1920s were actually the heyday for the total number of farmer collectives, if not total membership participating in them.

1712643901549.png

Incomudro

What gives you the idea that worker-owned businesses are a modern invention? I'm gonna set aside the questionable idea that sustainability and environmentalism are merely "terms" that people are "into now," and the limited view that signs can only be for consumers and instead address the claim that collectives are a modern term used anachronistically.

If you're familiar with this country's history of labor relations in general, or agricultural collectives specifically, you might know that collectivist organizations were actually far more prominent in our past than they are today. The first rural collective in the US was formed in 1810 and they really started gaining steam following the Civil War in the 1880s.

I was somewhat surprised myself to see that the 1920s were actually the heyday for the total number of farmer collectives, if not total membership participating in them.

View attachment 778048
What I SAID before you attempted to give me a history lesson - was that I don't believe 2020's buzz words like "Employee Owned," "Sustainable," etc., would have been something advertised in the 1920's because those weren't popular terms at the time.
I DIDN'T say that worker owned is a new invention.
I have no idea where you pulled that out from.
And yes - signage is mostly for the consumer.

celluloid

"Geesh, a water tower fits in with the rest of Fronteriland. Nevermind the 1927 or Tierrra on it. It still fits the asthetic."

Now, a food delivery vehicle from 1930 arrives parked in Frontierland.

James Alucobond

"Geesh, a water tower fits in with the rest of Fronteriland. Nevermind the 1927 or Tierrra on it. It still fits the asthetic."

Now, a food delivery vehicle from 1930 arrives parked in Frontierland.
We already knew Frontierland Station was the gateway to conceal more overtly 1920s New Orleans artistic, architectural, and technological elements.

celluloid

The only overtly 1920s thing not behind the train station at the moment is the text on the water tower. The tiara is a fantasy element, which you are free to dislike, but it is in no way stylistically indicative of the 20s. Likewise, the food mural, though not something I’m a fan of, is nondescript.

Be sure as more is added, to alter your list.

MistaDee

What I SAID before you attempted to give me a history lesson - was that I don't believe 2020's buzz words like "Employee Owned," "Sustainable," etc., would have been something advertised in the 1920's because those weren't popular terms at the time.
I DIDN'T say that worker owned is a new invention.
I have no idea where you pulled that out from.
And yes - signage is mostly for the consumer.

What you said for reference:
"Employee Owned" emblemized on the truck and sign is what I have the most difficult part with.
I don't think consumers - which is who signs are for - really cared about those things back then.

You're asserting that "employee owned" is a 2020's buzz word, I just proved to you that not only is that false, the 1920s were actually one of the most active times for this kind of organization.

Is your contention that these organizations did not advertise their existence? or that they did not specifically use the term "employee-owned" and instead would otherwise describe themselves as farm collectives or other synonyms to describe exactly the same kind of organization?

Either case is incorrect, here's a look at how often the term "employee-owned business" was used over time:
1712729340318.png

Keeping in mind that the body of available text Google has to search is vastly larger the closer we get to current time, we can conclude the term was certainly in use in that time period. It's also wrong to say employee owned is a 2020s term when it was used more in the 80s than it is today.

Lastly, when operating a collective, one of your primary audiences for any signage will be other farmers and workers who could potentially be added to the collective, consumers are just one of many stakeholders.

Consider the history lesson delivered

In the Parks
No

You're asserting that "employee owned" is a 2020's buzz word, I just proved to you that not only is that false, the 1920s were actually one of the most active times for this kind of organization.

Is your contention that these organizations did not advertise their existence? or that they did not specifically use the term "employee-owned" and instead would otherwise describe themselves as farm collectives or other synonyms to describe exactly the same kind of organization?

Either case is incorrect, here's a look at how often the term "employee-owned business" was used over time:
View attachment 778277
Keeping in mind that the body of available text Google has to search is vastly larger the closer we get to current time, we can conclude the term was certainly in use in that time period. It's also wrong to say employee owned is a 2020s term when it was used more in the 80s than it is today.

Lastly, when operating a collective, one of your primary audiences for any signage will be other farmers and workers who could potentially be added to the collective, consumers are just one of many stakeholders.

You do realize that the NGram you're showing is talking about a miniscule mention of "employee-owned business" (.0000000507% in 1929). That hardly constitutes as "certainly in use." The percentage is 0 in 1927. You haven't really proven your point. I have a degree in US History and I can tell you, having taken specific classes on the history of the American economy, employee-owned businesses were not advertised in the way Tiana's Foods is being advertised. I get that some people want to defend this ride against all criticism, but let's not change history to fit the weak narrative choices they have made.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

View attachment 778277

Or just drop 'business'

1712754080831.png

DisneyDodo

The forced “employee-owned coop” narrative is clearly just Disney apologizing for their own story. In order to justify the ride’s elevation, they made it a salt mine, which meant Tiana couldn’t just own a restaurant, but an entire food empire.

But of course, making Tiana a greedy capitalist executive would go against everything they believe in at The Walt Disney Company®, Inc. Corp. LLC. So they have to overtly advertise that Tiana’s Foods does not follow the traditional oppressive corporate structure.

The issue here is not that the company is “employee-owned.” It’s that Disney feels compelled to tell us that and advertise it when it has no bearing on the story. I haven’t seen any signs advertising the number of employees at the company or whether they have casual Fridays, for example, because it would be irrelevant and out of place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom