News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

dmc493

Out of curiosity, do vintage car enthusiasts shudder at stuff like this? Having antiques repainted and displayed in an amusement park instead of professionally restored and preserved in a museum?

This is the sort of thing where it might be better to custom fabricate the vehicle if only to preserve history.
I'm definitely no pro but I don't think so! A lot of these (especially if they're just shells) can often just be sitting in disrepair. I've seen everything from show pieces in hotels/museums/shops to full enthusiasts who do their own restorations and drive them around, just depends. There's some pretty incredible restoration shops dotted around the country too. If it's true there's no engine in this one, that opens the list up I would think to more shops who can just restore the body. I would LOVE to get a peek at the interior.

Edit to say I can't comment on level of rarity for this type of car but we're not talking like only 10 in the world made. It was a mass market Ford vehicle after all, but there's a solid community that loves and appreciates these cars which is really fun :)

dmc493

Well, the person I was replying to sure seems to think it is! I don't know (or really care) either way.
you had me second guessing so I watched about 5 more times. if it's a prop car they've nailed 7-8 tiny details I caught in some of the clips that I know are accurate. would be so impressed with the attention to historical accuracy (other than the lemon lime paint job) if that's the case (or maybe I'm ignorant in the world of prop cars)

MagicHappens1971

Out of curiosity, do vintage car enthusiasts shudder at stuff like this? Having antiques repainted and displayed in an amusement park instead of professionally restored and preserved in a museum?

This is the sort of thing where it might be better to custom fabricate the vehicle if only to preserve history.
I personally think it would be cheaper for Disney to replicate and produce a prop car but if it’s real, who cares? A multibillion dollar entertainment company (possibly) restored a vintage car for the queue of their new attraction. There are much bigger issues to worry about

Surferboy567

This also confirms the finale song is the original song written by PJ Morton
I’ll have to listen to this later tonight. If so though then we have:

To Millhouse: Down in New Orleans
To how do you do: ???
How do you do: Going down the bayou
Laughin Place: ??? (Rava band?)
Lift and Drop: Dig a little deeper
Finale: PJ Morton song

SuddenStorm

I personally think it would be cheaper for Disney to replicate and produce a prop car but if it’s real, who cares? A multibillion dollar entertainment company (possibly) restored a vintage car for the queue of their new attraction. There are much bigger issues to worry about

Well, in the enthusiast communities I follow you would be surprised at what gets people up in arms. Heck, with vintage watches sometimes restoring or modifying the watch kills the value. If Disney did take a rare vehicle and modified it I could imagine it annoying people. I think it's more likely they found a rusted out one with no value and restored it.

I agree that it's not something to worry about, but was curious what people who care about vintage cars would think.

dmc493

on another topic - it's been discussed to death how many AAs there will be. is there any indication how screen heavy any of the scenes might be? I assume they'd be more "tucked" into scenes NRJ-style but who knows... Or even crazier wondering if they'll have a B mode screen for any of the key AA figures like the Shaman?

In the Parks
No
Some speculation about the previous life of the Tiana car:

1712634911207.png

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
The main issue, as I see it, stems from a struggle to marry the "Tiana glam-styling" with rural farm life. The concept just isn't gelling. Visually, it's all over the place. We have a colorful yet still weathered barn plastered with near-psychedelic murals, but it doesn't work. We have a rustic fence along the ride path with what appears to be "decals" of chopped vegetables, and it's supposed to somehow evoke the 1930s. We have a printed banner that was... (removed? TBD?) And a parked truck that doesn't feel grounded in reality because it's too showy and pristine for its locale—not at all like a real rural food-coop daily commuter work truck. I just think WDI is at odds on how to present anything. And when they go cheap, it shows.

It's probably too late in the game for them to change anything now, but there's been some really good insight by other forum members detailing ways these issues can be remedied. I don't know if WDI is just not seeing it or doesn't care. Either is a cause for concern.

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
There's nothing out of place whatsoever with the truck within the movie's time period. The Market Crash happened in 1929. The movie was 1926 and this ride has been said to be about a year after the movie, 1927 (the photo of placing the tiara atop the water tower has 1927 written on it).

Trucks like these were very much commonplace on large farms during that era. Well before that year in fact.

View attachment 777837

Out of place in Frontierland as a whole, then I agree. But since you specified the PATF movie and its time period, no it's perfectly reasonable in that context.

I'm not sure I would agree. In 1927 the economy was booming, Tiana had a new business, and a new truck would most likely have been purchased. The crash wasn't until 1929 and even though we, looking back, know that the Great Depression was looming, I don't think many people at the time realized it.

The trucks we see in pictures taken during the Great Depression look used and worn because by that point they were - very few people had money to replace those purchased earlier.

This makes me so sad that after all that work she only gets to live her dream for two years.

mergatroid

I'm not sure what they'd think, nor do I care really lol. You do realise that when they built Big Thunder Mountain that many of the artefacts placed around the attraction are genuine items from back in the day. It was actually thought of as something to be admired, that Disney went the extra mile to acquire these genuine mining items rather than fabricate something or just not bother.

I'm pretty sure that there's enough cars preserved in museums that if a private company like Disney want to purchase one and do what they want with it (if that's the case?) that the world of car enthusiasts will be able to live with it :D

Honeycomb

From what I recall, they just cut him off for good. He wasn't looking for a wife to regain their support, he was looking for a wealthy girl so her fortune would support him. Facilier mentioned that in his song. Naveen initially tried to woo Tiana into kissing him because (besides wanting to turn back into a human) he saw her in a fancy dress and assumed she was really wealthy. IIRC he was upset when he discovered she was a struggling waitress.
I recently rewatched the film; you remember correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom