News Tiana's Bayou Adventure - latest details and construction progress

etc98

That “Since 1927” text on the hot sauce poster really bothers me. This ride is supposed to take place at most 2 years after 1927. A company wouldn’t start advertising “Since …” until it’s it’s been around while. It’s supposed to indicate that the brand is well established, tried and true. That doesn’t work if it was established less than 2 years ago

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
20240426_171019.jpg
20240426_171106.jpg
20240426_174647.jpg
20240426_174730.jpg
20240426_202432.jpg

And lastly, more new signs at the Frontierland train station.

I will say — I think it's very sad that these railroad signs are miles better than the main Tiana’s Foods sign on the barn.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That “Since 1927” text on the hot sauce poster really bothers me. This ride is supposed to take place at most 2 years after 1927. A company wouldn’t start advertising “Since …” until it’s it’s been around while. It’s supposed to indicate that the brand is well established, tried and true. That doesn’t work if it was established less than 2 years ago
That demonstrates the difference between an Easter Egg and a Plot Hole.

Now, who's going to proclaim that in that time frame there was no such thing as garlic hot sauce or that the colors of those bottles was impossible back than? What's that? I can't hear you over the woodland creature's band.

LittleBuford

That demonstrates the difference between an Easter Egg and a Plot Hole.

Now, who's going to proclaim that in that time frame there was no such thing as garlic hot sauce or that the colors of those bottles was impossible back than? What's that? I can't hear you over the woodland creature's band.
Why deflect from the undeniable sloppiness at play in the sign showing the various sauces? Yes, “roasted garlic” sounds really anachronistic, because it is (a quick check over at Google Books confirms as much). That wouldn’t bother me if the bottle labels themselves looked well designed, but they don’t: they are unattractive and lack anything resembling even a Disneyfied period feel. I will say the font used for the large “Hot Sauces” at the bottom works well. It’s a shame the rest of the sign is so poor by comparison.

Last edited:

FettFan

"Since 1927" tracks, as the original Tiana's Palace probably got flooded out and she had to rebuild. "Tiana's Foods" was her Plan B.
The majority of the city was spared by dynamiting the levees on the West Bank.

Side note: after that flood, the levee system was built back bigger by the Army Corps of Engineers...who proceeded to put the spillway on the wrong side of the river and causing massive ecological damage every time they open it to relieve the pressure of higher than average water levels.

Proving yet again that you can't count on Washington DC to fix one problem without haplessly creating ten more then patting themselves on the back for it like the window-lickers they are.

Last edited:

Bayou

That's just not true.

splah

The problem I have with a lot of new builds in parks around the globe is everything “feels” too perfect. The walls of the star cruiser feel flat, in the queue of the Tokyo beauty and the beast ride the moulding and trim are perfectly straight. The outlines in the hot sauce graphics are too precise and fine. There’s no variability hand crafted, uniqueness to the final products. The building techniques are too good now to reflect the times they’re trying to replicate. And i think a large part, particularly the graphics are relying on duplicating shapes and fonts on the computer. If the era calls for hand-lettering or other imperfect methods they should be replicated as close as possible, but in the world of tron or GotG where the precision would make sense I have no problem with it.

Heck, they could have done the exact same hot sauce sign the traced it by hand in the computer and used those lines as the final product, I think it would have felt more appropriate.

All that said the font on the bottom half feels right to me.

EDIT: the only thing throws it off to me is the label on each of the bottles for the reasons above. Everything else I like. But that one element especially since it’s repeated on each bottle is jarring (no pun intended) to the rest of the design.

Last edited:

Ghost93

Why deflect from the undeniable sloppiness at play in the sign showing the various sauces? Yes, “roasted garlic” sounds really anachronistic, because it is (a quick check over at Google Books confirms as much). That wouldn’t bother me if the bottle labels themselves looked well designed, but they don’t: they are unattractive and lack anything resembling even a Disneyfied period feel. I will say the font used for the large “Hot Sauces” at the bottom works well. It’s a shame the rest of the sign is so poor by comparison.
The more details we keep getting about this attraction the more I think the log ride itself will be a fun music filled romp through the bayou, but that the queue, convoluted co-op backstory and pre-ride elements are an overthought mess.

LittleBuford

The more details we keep getting about this attraction the more I think the log ride itself will be a fun music filled romp through the bayou, but that the queue, convoluted co-op backstory and pre-ride elements are an overthought mess.
That’s my impression too. The inconsistencies in tone and quality have been very strange to watch unfold.

FettFan

That’s my impression too. The inconsistencies in tone and quality have been very strange to watch unfold.

Well, you can't expect much about celebrating New Orleans from a bunch of people who ate a beignet, took a swamp tour, then promptly went to the other end of the state to try and justify why their version of New Orleans has a 60' tall mountain popping up out of it.

I mean hell, even Walt Disney himself got New Orleans wrong, which is why I still rate WDW's Pirates as slightly better than Disneyland's, since the entire queue is actually set in the Caribbean.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

Well, you can't expect much about celebrating New Orleans from a bunch of people who ate a beignet, took a swamp tour, then promptly went to the other end of the state to try and justify why their version of New Orleans has a 60' tall mountain popping up out of it.
I didn’t mention New Orleans in my post. That isn’t the issue here.

LittleBuford

I would argue that it is, especially as they had been talking about it being "authentic" since Day 1.
And in their haste to try to make it "authentic", they royally lost the plot.
In a theme-park setting, “authenticity” entails a great deal of poetic licence, resulting in elements that feel appropriate without being true to life or historically accurate. The issue with the signage isn’t a lack of connection to the real New Orleans, but an absence of a suitably evocative aesthetic. It’s immediately clear we’re looking at something generated on a computer, and that kills the illusion.

Vegas Disney Fan

It’s funny how little choices can make such a huge difference, I love the look of the fence, I wish they’d used this color rather than the yellow, I think the murals would look so much more natural against a simple brown rather than the brightish yellow. . Unfortunately judging by the last photo it looks like more yellow may be coming.

Drew the Disney Dude

In the Parks
Yes
It’s funny how little choices can make such a huge difference, I love the look of the fence, I wish they’d used this color rather than the yellow, I think the murals would look so much more natural against a simple brown rather than the brightish yellow. . Unfortunately judging by the last photo it looks like more yellow may be coming.
Agreed 100%. The brown and white actually looks great and undoubtedly would've been the better choice. I'm hoping the white isn't painted over with yellow.

wbostic12

In the Parks
No
It is almost like they are trying to outthink themselves, but also forget that by trying to fix nonexistent problems, they are creating new blatant and unnecessary ones (which are easily pointed out by everyone watching from the outside).

LittleBuford

It is almost like they are trying to outthink themselves, but also forget that by trying to fix nonexistent problems, they are creating new blatant and unnecessary ones (which are easily pointed out by everyone watching from the outside).
This would account for some of the strange decisions they’ve made (the whole salt-dome explanation, for example), but not the issues with the signage, which are the result of not enough thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom