Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

LittleBuford

Peter and Alice (Great play btw) are more set in the UK than Pooh though. The main characters have British accents, showcase English landmarks, and feature British perspectives and terminology. Pooh...doesn't. Rabbit, Tigger, Piglet, Kanga, Roo, and even Pooh...they all feature standard American cartoon voices. As a kid, I never realized Pooh was English because how it felt like the other American cartoons.

Pooh replacing Country Bears bugged me because I loved Country Bears, but I honestly think it fits better in Critter Country than it does in Fantasyland like WDW.
Peter most certainly doesn't have a British accent, and nor do the Queen of Hearts, White Rabbit, or Cheshire Cat. I agree, however, that those rides feel more British overall than Pooh.

Consumer

Peter and Alice (Great play btw) are more set in the UK than Pooh though. The main characters have British accents, showcase English landmarks, and feature British perspectives and terminology. Pooh...doesn't. Rabbit, Tigger, Piglet, Kanga, Roo, and even Pooh...they all feature standard American cartoon voices. As a kid, I never realized Pooh was English because how it felt like the other American cartoons.

Pooh replacing Country Bears bugged me because I loved Country Bears, but I honestly think it fits better in Critter Country than it does in Fantasyland like WDW.
Christopher Robin has a British accent, as does Owl.

Professortango1

Christopher Robin has a British accent, as does Owl.
Yes, the two of them do.
Peter most certainly doesn't have a British accent, and nor do the Queen of Hearts, White Rabbit, or Cheshire Cat. I agree, however, that those rides feel more British overall than Pooh.
Peter certainly doesn't, but Wendy, John, Michael, and Hook have British Accents and we see London in the film. I would say that the Queen does have a British accent. And I recall Bill being British. I haven't seen Alice in many many years.

Brer Oswald

Also, for the majority of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Christopher Robin doesn’t have a British accent. He was voiced by 3 or 4 different kids. The only segment he “kind of” has one is for the “Tigger Too” segment where Tigger is stuck in the tree during winter.

As far as matching the woodsy theme of Critter Country, I think Pooh is a much more natural aesthetic fit than something like Princess and the Frog, but that’s neither here nor there.

Brer Oswald

Which is why I didn’t list them among the characters who don’t have British accents!

Is Peter not a protagonist too?
From a narrative perspective, the Darling Kids are the protagonists with Wendy being the “main” one. The story is happening to them. Peter takes them out of London to Neverland, and it’s about their adventure in this otherworldly place.

LittleBuford

I'd say that Wendy is the Protagonist as it is her story and about her change.
This is getting weird. You wrote, “The main characters have British accents”, and I responded by demonstrating that several of the main characters in fact do not. But rather than just acknowledge your mistake (we all make them, myself included), you’re now underplaying the importance of Peter in his titular film.

I agreed with your general point about the two rides, so my corrections aren’t meant to undermine what you’re saying.

LittleBuford

From a narrative perspective, the Darling Kids are the protagonists with Wendy being the “main” one. The story is happening to them. Peter takes them out of London to Neverland, and it’s about their adventure in this otherworldly place.
Please see my reply just now to @Professortango1. I offered nothing more than a simple correction to an erroneous claim.

Professortango1

This is getting weird. You wrote, “The main characters have British accents”, and I responded by demonstrating that several of the main characters in fact do not. But rather than just acknowledge your mistake (we all make them, myself included), you’re now underplaying the importance of Peter in his titular film.

I agreed with your general point about the two rides, so my corrections aren’t meant to undermine what you’re saying.
I do stand by what I said, the main characters do have British accents in Peter Pan and Alice. In both films, the Protagonist and the Antagonist have British accents as do many side characters.

Does Disney blend the line more since they had a habit of Americanizing the stories they told? Sure. We know the Indian Chief speaks in a stereotypical impression of Native Americans that was popular at the time.

I think all three properties are British, but Peter Pan is certainly rooted in that location with the opening, Alice stands not as firmly, but still is pretty British in execution and presentation, and Pooh is the most wishy-washy of the three with the British origins mostly watered down to cartoonish whimsy and charm.

Its a perspective thing. For me, I never associate Disney's version of Pooh with England so the Critter Country thing never bothered me the same way that Star Wars taking place "a long time ago" never bothered folks with its inclusion in Tomorrowland.

You are correct though, Owl and Christopher Robin do sport British accents. And Pan himself does not .

LittleBuford

As for Queen of Hearts, "Do you play croquet" is in a British accent. I know that line in particular.
Her accent is not British. Her most iconic line, “Off with their/her head(s)”, is pronounced with the American O (which to a Brit sounds more like “ah”) and with the R of the pronoun sounded. As I said, this is a bizarre argument to be having.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

I do stand by what I said, the main characters do have British accents in Peter Pan and Alice. In both films, the Protagonist and the Antagonist have British accents as do many side characters.
Even if I were to accept that Peter isn’t a main character in his own titular film (and it is possible for a film to have more than one main character, by the way), the Queen of Hearts (the closest Alice in Wonderland has to an antagonist, though she’s comic relief more than anything) simply does not have a British accent, no matter how much you insist otherwise.

But I’m done with this silliness and will see myself out of this particular exchange.

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
Critter Country is now walled off to allow for The Briar Patch and part of Pooh Corner to be rethemed.
Screenshot_20240501-142322.png
Screenshot_20240501-142304.png
Screenshot_20240501-142251.png

Professortango1

Her accent is not British. Her most iconic line, “Off with their/her head(s)”, is pronounced with the American O (which to a Brit sounds more like “ah”) and with the R of the pronoun sounded. As I said, this is a bizarre argument to be having.

I could definitely understand that assessment from those clips. From the clip below, I hear British at times, a variation on the Trans Atlantic at others. I just think Verna was doing what she wanted in the sound booth, letting accent apply where it worked and cutting loose at other times. I hear it at as a character being British, but it's not consistent and I can definitely understand disagreeing.

Last edited:

Professortango1

Even if I were to accept that Peter isn’t a main character in his own titular film (and it is possible for a film to have more than one main character, by the way), the Queen of Hearts (the closest Alice in Wonderland has to an antagonist, though she’s comic relief more than anything) simply does not have a British accent, no matter how much you insist otherwise.

But I’m done with this silliness and will see myself out of this particular exchange.
Peter is certainly the titular character, but in terms of storytelling, I do see Wendy as the protagonist. Peter is certainly far more central and important than John or Michael.

Again. I disagree about the Queen, but as mentioned, it is inconsistent and I understand you disagreeing.

LittleBuford

I could definitely understand that assessment from those clips. From the clip below, I hear British at times, a variation on the Trans Atlantic at others. I just think Verna was doing what she wanted in the sound booth, letting accent apply where it worked and cutting loose at other times. I hear it at as a character being British, but it's not consistent and I can definitely understand disagreeing.

To be fair to you—and this really will be my last post on the matter—she does attempt to sound more genteel when she’s more in control of herself, which does lend her accent a slightly more British flavour at times. But that doesn’t make her accent British; if anything, it merely serves as a foil to her true accent, which immediately comes out during her frequent fits of rage. When she yells, “If I lose my temper, you lose your head. Understand?”, every single R is pronounced, in stark contrast to what a posh accent would do with those words. (For those those who know Are You Being Served?, Mollie Sugden does much the same in the role of Mrs Slocombe, mimicking a posh accent in her calmer and haughtier moments but inevitably defaulting to her Northern accent when speaking normally.)

None of this is a criticism of Verna Felton’s voice acting. Her characterisation is perfect, and the un-queen-like, non-British accent is a large part of that. (The King of Hearts sounds even more American.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom