Tiana's Bayou Adventure: Disneyland Watch & Discussion

PiratesMansion

Not the exact same but I despise Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout because it replaced my favorite ride, the ride which led me to discover my favorite TV show of all time. While there wasn't the same principle as your situation, I basically had my mind set I wasn't gonna like the ride, especially cause GotG was one of the few Marvel movies I didn't enjoy even before the ride announcement. Couple that with an ugly exterior, screens instead of physical sets, and extremely cheesy gags (put your hands up to scan them for access cause mine don't work) and all that just makes for a not very fun ride experience in my opinion. The only fun part to me is seeing the Rocket animatronic in the library (they couldn't even come up with a new theme for that part of the ride so they said screw it and just made it a "space library"). I'm glad I was able to ride ToT in WDW in 2019 on my trip and I hope WDW keeps their Splash Mountain so you can at least get your fix there. I think I rode GotG:MB twice: once with my family who wanted to try it when it opened and once with my group of Disney friends, some of them enjoyed but me and a few others did not enjoy it at all, thought the raise your hand thing was dumb, and missed the atmosphere / sets / story / drop sequence of the ToT and not the more constant movement and up and down movement it has now.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I understand your sentiment about not wanting to give it a chance, especially because of how little faith we have in modern Disney projects. Some people might tell you to give it a chance and say you're being dramatic but your feelings towards the situation are valid. At the end of the day it's just a theme park ride, yes, but it's your favorite and you're losing the ability to revisit a favorite memory / memories when you ride.
I looked at the Behind the Attractions episodes and was surprised to see that one of them was...Tower of Terror. And they used either the DCA or Paris version as the cover photo for the episode!

So because of their own ineptitude, my first and primary thought is not excitement, but instead this dread that they're going to spend most of the episode talking up Tower only at the end to go into MB at the end and shill about "we needed to update everything with IP and that's good, correct, and better, actually." And I'm relatively ok with MB compared to many people here!

That's what modern Disney has done. Taken it so that even what should be transparently good things that fit my interests are nonetheless accompanied by at least a little sliver of dread and nervousness.

mickEblu

I looked at the Behind the Attractions episodes and was surprised to see that one of them was...Tower of Terror. And they used either the DCA or Paris version as the cover photo for the episode!

So because of their own ineptitude, my first and primary thought is not excitement, but instead this dread that they're going to spend most of the episode talking up Tower only at the end to go into MB at the end and shill about "we needed to update everything with IP and that's good, correct, and better, actually." And I'm relatively ok with MB compared to many people here!

That's what modern Disney has done. Taken it so that even what should be transparently good things that fit my interests are nonetheless accompanied by at least a little sliver of dread and nervousness.

I was going to like your post but you had to go and say something blasphemous

BuzzedPotatoHead89

I haven’t gotten to that episode but I had found it interesting that they explicitly reference the original Trader Sam in the Jungle Cruise episode.

They also of course they took plenty of opportunities to plug the Dwayne Johnson movie and even at one point referred to the original Marc Davis Trapped Safari as an “unfortunately outdated cultural stereotype”.

smooch

I saw a trailer yesterday in the evening and saw they had a shot of DCA's ToT which then jump cut to a shot of GotG:MB. Then I saw at midnight last night that they had the first 5 episodes released and the ToT is one of them, so I'm assuming they're going to do what they did in The Imagineering Story and pat themselves on the back because they took some bad ride that looked run down based on a show that only boomers know about (I'm just being facetious not serious, as you can tell I am not a boomer and love the show). They took it and made it modern and relevant and Instagrammable even though the old Tower was way more Instagrammable. I am gonna watch the episode eventually since I wanna watch the show, but the first episode with the Jungle Cruise was a little painful. I don't think there will be much we don't already know on a Disney Park forum, but the footage of the old ride and it's construction was cool. The jokes and editing are painful though, extremely modern Disney. So yeah I'm really curious if the ToT episode will have good footage like that too, but I am 99.9% sure because of the trailer that they will talk about converting it into the abomination that is GotG:MB 😢

smooch

I haven’t gotten to that episode but I had found it interesting that they explicitly reference the original Trader Sam in the Jungle Cruise episode.

They also of course they took plenty of opportunities to plug the Dwayne Johnson movie and even at one point referred to the original Marc Davis Trapped Safari as an “unfortunately outdated cultural stereotype”.
Yeah I was surprised about the direct Trader Sam reference in the first episode. I also was very irritated with the constant Jungle Cruise movie advertisements baked in. And yes they did include the outdated Trapped Safari line, I still don't think the change bothers me too much considering it's the same gag, and I'm glad to have more diversity in the ride, but at the very least I will miss having those original Marc Davis animatronics / scene.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Yeah I was surprised about the direct Trader Sam reference in the first episode. I also was very irritated with the constant Jungle Cruise movie advertisements baked in. And yes they did include the outdated Trapped Safari line, I still don't think the change bothers me too much considering it's the same gag, and I'm glad to have more diversity in the ride, but at the very least I will miss having those original Marc Davis animatronics / scene.

I actually don’t mind the change in the scene, I just think they should be more careful how they refer to some of these scene changes.

I won’t spoil it but I thought they did a good job threading the needle talking through the history of how the ride originated and how Davis brought his humor. But when they refer to scenes as “problematic” or “enforcing stereotypes” it just seems a little odd.

At least for these docuseries I’d argue it’s better to just say “we’re updating the attraction in the spirit of Walt’s vision to ensure the attraction is inclusive and reflects diversity and contemporary culture”.. yada, yada. Avoid the usual suspects on Twitter jumping into a blamestorming session and attacking late imagineers.

mickEblu

The trapped safari was a problem too? Because the white guy is on top? Could he not be on top because he ran up there the fastest because he’s the most scared? Seems more plausible than a group meeting or slowing down for the white guy to get up there first in the face of getting killed by a rhino. This cancel culture $hit is one of the worst things to happen for equality actually. Things will only appear to look better or more fair. When in actuality your just ing off a whole lot of people, creating more of a divide and wasting resources to fix things don’t need fixing instead of focusing on stuff that matters.

SplashGhost

Not the exact same but I despise Guardians of the Galaxy: Mission Breakout because it replaced my favorite ride, the ride which led me to discover my favorite TV show of all time. While there wasn't the same principle as your situation, I basically had my mind set I wasn't gonna like the ride, especially cause GotG was one of the few Marvel movies I didn't enjoy even before the ride announcement. Couple that with an ugly exterior, screens instead of physical sets, and extremely cheesy gags (put your hands up to scan them for access cause mine don't work) and all that just makes for a not very fun ride experience in my opinion. The only fun part to me is seeing the Rocket animatronic in the library (they couldn't even come up with a new theme for that part of the ride so they said screw it and just made it a "space library"). I'm glad I was able to ride ToT in WDW in 2019 on my trip and I hope WDW keeps their Splash Mountain so you can at least get your fix there. I think I rode GotG:MB twice: once with my family who wanted to try it when it opened and once with my group of Disney friends, some of them enjoyed but me and a few others did not enjoy it at all, thought the raise your hand thing was dumb, and missed the atmosphere / sets / story / drop sequence of the ToT and not the more constant movement and up and down movement it has now.

Sorry to go off topic a bit, but I understand your sentiment about not wanting to give it a chance, especially because of how little faith we have in modern Disney projects. Some people might tell you to give it a chance and say you're being dramatic but your feelings towards the situation are valid. At the end of the day it's just a theme park ride, yes, but it's your favorite and you're losing the ability to revisit a favorite memory / memories when you ride.

I was extremely upset about the DCA ToT being changed to GOTG, but I still think Mission: Breakout is a really fun ride, and I definitely like it more than anything else in DCA. That said, I do like Guardians of the Galaxy and I am an airtime fanatic, so the attraction on its own works for me. I try not to compare it to what we lost with the Tower of Terror, since Tower was vastly superior as a thematic experience. I really miss having something with a horror atmosphere in DCA. I have learned to accept Mission: Breakout as its own fun attraction, but I totally understand how you despise it, as I thought that I would also end up despising it also. It does feel incredibly shortsighted that Disney got rid of the DCA Tower when they are currently working on a Tower of Terror movie.

For Princess and the Frog, I have zero connection to that movie, so it is going to take way more to win me over than Guardians did. Plus, with Guardians, they tried to compensate for the change with finally adding randomized drop sequences and more airtime. I don't think they will be able to do anything like that with PATF Mountain to make the change easier to accept. Not to mention, Chapek has only gotten more and more cheap since Mission: Breakout, so I am expecting something at the level of The Indcredicoaster with PATF Mountain. I can laugh at the bad theming on Incredicoaster since the coaster itself is still fun, but Splash doesn't work at all without good theming. I love water rides, but only when they are well themed like Splash Mountain, Timer Mountain Log Ride, Calico River Rapids, and Jurassic World. Water rides without get theming seem pointless to me.

Since the WDW Tower of Terror is my favorite ride ever, the Tower of Terror episode is the only one I watched so far. Sadly, they spend about half the episode talking about Mission: Breakout and congratulating themselves on it while also making sure to fit in a plug for Cosmic Rewind. I know that the Jungle Cruise and Star Tours episodes are probably full of plugs for current Disney things, and it feels kind of bad that Disney charges money to watch documentaries that basically serve as advertisements.

Brer Panther

I think Splash super fans are in the bargaining stage of grief where they will offer anything else to Tiana to save the mountain.
Hey, just because we don't want Splash Mountain to be rethemed (especially for a stupid, cowardly reason) doesn't mean that we dislike The Princess and the Frog or don't think that it deserves an attraction. I love Monsters Inc., but if Disney announced that they were retheming Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to it I'd still protest.

CaptinEO

Hey, just because we don't want Splash Mountain to be rethemed (especially for a stupid, cowardly reason) doesn't mean that we dislike The Princess and the Frog or don't think that it deserves an attraction. I love Monsters Inc., but if Disney announced that they were retheming Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to it I'd still protest.
I think the movie sucks, is bland, and is a disservice by Disney to african americans, who deserve a much better film.

Moviegoers voted with their wallets. Tiana means a lot to many for being the first and so far only Disney African American princess. However, they should have more and create a better film this time around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom