News Tiana’s Palace Coming to Disneyland Later this Year

TP2000

How did Tiana become so successful with a business model like this? Where's the late evening dining experience with a mellow jazz trio on that stage of hers?

That type of elegance and ambiance fell off the radar in TDA around 2007. No one in any senior leadership position is ever in unfashionable Anaheim past 5pm anyway, so who cares what time the park restaurants close?

Seems like Tiana is more focused on closing earlier so she doesn't have to pay overtime let alone full benefits for her employees. Is this restaurant employee owned like the salt mine?

The employee-owned cooperative must have slashed the training budget. They now send a grumpy employee-owner out front at 8pm on a warm Friday night to yell "We're closed!" :mad: as a sign of that famous New Orleans hospitality.

No one in TDA thought to maybe keep the restaurant open past 8pm on its opening weekend. That tells you right there the level of senior management competence Disneyland is now dealing with.

TP2000

Yes it is. Cause Tiana Queen is here to stay and here to slay! You go girl!
There are a lot of phrases in common dialect that come from various cultures around the world. Is using them a mockery of a culture?

No, it is not.

The slang term "slay" is from the Gay community. It means to look flawless, perform fabulously, and be an expert at your Drag craft. It originated in drag shows in the 1970's and 80's, and entered mainstream pop culture use in the 2010's with the wild popularity of TV shows like RuPaul's Drag Race, suburban straight people who were suddenly attending campy "Drag Brunches", etc.

Since I am one of the Gay members of this little community, and since I spent a heckuva lot of money on cover charges and bar tabs at gay bars featuring Drag in the 1970's and 80's when we invented the term, I am hereby giving you full authorization to use, and enjoy using, that phrase whenever you'd like to. Slay @CaptinEO!

Last edited:

CaptinEO

No, it is not.

The slang term "slay" is from the Gay community. It means to look flawless, perform fabulously, and be an expert at your Drag craft. It originated in drag shows in the 1970's and 80's, and entered mainstream pop culture use in the 2010's with the wild popularity of TV shows like RuPaul's Drag Race, suburban straight people who were suddenly attending campy "Drag Brunches", etc.

Since I am one of the Gay members of this little community, and since I spent a heckuva lot of money on cover charges and bar tabs at gay bars featuring Drag in the 1970's and 80's when we invented the term, I am hereby giving you full authorization to use, and enjoy using, that phrase whenever you'd like to. Slay @CaptinEO!
Much thanks! I had no idea of its origins and appreciate the lesson and need a printout of this for my official authorization :) . Didn't realize it went back to the 70s and 80s too!

TP2000

Much thanks! I had no idea of its origins and appreciate the lesson and need a printout of this for my official authorization :) . Didn't realize it went back to the 70s and 80s too!

Your laminated Slay Club Card is going out in Monday's mail.

I'm sure it started in New York or LA, but it was in use in the smaller cities I lived in back then too. It was mainly used by the other drag performers who were taking a night off and in the audience or propped up at the bar, or there specifically to cheer on a friend, from one performer to another. It was sweet how that worked for those performers, back when it could be very dangerous (or simply illegal in some states/cities) for them to practice their art.

It's kind of interesting how language evolves and enters the mainstream. But no one owns language even if it's still in limited use or niche communities. Although "slay" entered the mainstream and was found on national TV at least 15 years ago.

CaptinEO

Your laminated Slay Club Card is going out in Monday's mail.

I'm sure it started in New York or LA, but it was in use in the smaller cities I lived in back then too. It was mainly used by the other drag performers who were taking a night off and in the audience or at the bar, or there specifically to cheer on a friend, from one performer to another. It was sort of sweet how that worked for those performers, at least back then when it could be very dangerous (or simply illegal in some states/cities) for them to practice their art.

It's kind of interesting how language evolves and enters the mainstream. But no one owns language even if it's still in limited use or niche communities. Although "slay" entered the mainstream and was found on national TV at least 15 years ago.
Great story and very interesting.

Would love a TP2000 podcast especially if your eloquent style of writing is also reflected in your speaking. And you definitely have lots of great stories to tell.

Could even have the neighbor lady as a guest host.

Ghost93

How did Tiana become so successful with a business model like this? Where's the late evening dining experience with a mellow jazz trio on that stage of hers?

Seems like Tiana is more focused on closing earlier so she doesn't have to pay overtime let alone full benefits for her employees. Is this restaurant employee owned like the salt mine?
Maybe the Tiana Disney Plus series will explore how Tiana — driven by ambition and corporate greed — has lost touch with her humble beginnings. Her Tiana's Foods employees will go on strike demanding fair wages. Throughout the course of the series, Tiana realizes she's become the very thing she detested when she was working as a waitress. The series will end with Tiana learning her lesson, giving her employees a nice salary increase, and passing legislation in Maldonia increasing the minimum wage by 25%.

Consumer

Maybe the Tiana Disney Plus series will explore how Tiana — driven by ambition and corporate greed — has lost touch with her humble beginnings. Her Tiana's Foods employees will go on strike demanding fair wages. Throughout the course of the series, Tiana realizes she's become the very thing she detested when she was working as a waitress. The series will end with Tiana learning her lesson, giving her employees a nice salary increase, and passing legislation in Maldonia increasing the minimum wage by 25%.
All written by AI because Disney refused to pay their writers.

mickEblu

🚨🚨🚨!!! ✋

🌳 👮🏻‍♂️🌳

Planter policeman back to ask what the heck are they waiting for to put in some flowers or plants in the large planters bordering Tiana’s Palace? Why did they open with nothing but shrubs and wood chips? Why does everything have to open up unfinished?

6FED4257-B580-4C09-9E65-ADFE440691C6.jpeg
8480588F-45C7-489E-AF70-35F22F46BB48.jpeg

Last edited:

TP2000

Planter policeman back to ask what the heck are they waiting for to put in some flowers or plants in the large planters bordering Tiana’s Palace? Why did they open with nothing but shrubs and wood chips? Why does everything have to open up unfinished?

Agreed, that looks unfinished and tacky. There's a big Home Depot just east of Disneyland on Katella, the least they could have done is send a pickup truck over there to buy $200 worth of shade-loving flowers to brighten that up until they could fill it in more permanently.

Someone in TDA (or more likely, many in TDA) is not tending to the details. Why am I not surprised?

On an unrelated note @mickEblu, when you serve our community in your role as Planter Police 👮‍♂️, could you try adding some of those siren emoji's that I found here the other day? 🚨🚨🚨 I think it would help denote that something serious is happening and we should perk up our ears in interest in the thread if the Planter Police are here. Don't you think?

And have we thanked you for your service lately? 👮‍♂️ 🚨 👮‍♂️

mickEblu

Agreed, that looks unfinished and tacky. There's a big Home Depot just east of Disneyland on Katella, the least they could have done is send a pickup truck over there to buy $200 worth of shade-loving flowers to brighten that up until they could fill it in more permanently.

Someone in TDA (or more likely, many in TDA) is not tending to the details. Why am I not surprised?

On an unrelated note @mickEblu, when you serve our community in your role as Planter Police 👮‍♂️, could you try adding some of those siren emoji's that I found here the other day? 🚨🚨🚨 I think it would help denote that something serious is happening and we should perk up our ears in interest in the thread if the Planter Police are here. Don't you think?

And have we thanked you for your service lately? 👮‍♂️ 🚨 👮‍♂️

LOL that’s a wonderful idea! In fact when you included those sirens to your post the other day I thought “I should have done that.” Then I forgot to add them again. But consider this the last time the planter policeman shows up with no sirens.

And you are quite welcome! Just doing my job. To protect and to serve all planters at the Happiest Place on Earth and those who appreciate them.

Also please check out my last post. I have since edited to add my new emoji alerts you recommend.

Last edited:

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Has anyone been able to try the food yet?
Tried a few things, as we waited roughly 30 minutes since mobile order was done by noon Saturday. Overall probably the best food we had this trip (we stayed 3 days for OBB).

Top items:
- Muffuletta sandwich - my favorite. The bread was good and olive spread was perfect complement with a surprisingly hearty amount of meat (though I do wonder how many picky eaters are aware of this). On par with the Muffaletta I’ve had in NO. We had with the Mac n Cheese which was decent, but nothing to write home about. 9/10
- Po Boy - very good but also simple. I liked the Muffuletta better. Bread was fine but was a bit hearty. Wasn’t a huge fan of the red beans and rice. 7.5/10
- 7 Greens Gumbo with chicken and sausage. Fantastic! Super flavorful. Better than the Gumbo and Blue Bayou by a mile. You do have to be a fan of white beans and collared greens (which I am), but very flavorful. 8.5/10
- Other items:
- cornbread (a tad bit dry but flavorful) - 6/10
- Ice box lemon beignet (custard was good but it’s basically a donut, not a beignet, stick with the ones next door) - 5/10

If the menu is missing something I’d recommend maybe a deconstructed Muffaletta salad or fried green tomatoes. But there’s a decent amount here. I think this will be a hit but this menu is a decent test as this definitely experiments with more Southern flavors than your typical family from Tustin, Brea, or Whittier may be accustomed to. I also hope it can maintain its standards a year or two out.

Attachments

• IMG_1088.jpeg
    IMG_1088.jpeg
    106.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1089.jpeg
    IMG_1089.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    67.1 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

mickEblu

Tried a few things, as we waited roughly 30 minutes since mobile order was done by noon Saturday. Overall probably the best food we had this trip (we stayed 3 days for OBB).

Top items:
- Muffuletta sandwich - my favorite. The bread was good and olive spread was perfect complement with a surprisingly hearty amount of meat (though I do wonder how many picky eaters are aware of this). On par with the Muffaletta I’ve had in NO. We had with the Mac n Cheese which was decent, but nothing to write home about. 9/10
- Po Boy - very good but also simple. I liked the Muffuletta better. Bread was fine but was a bit hearty. Wasn’t a huge fan of the red beans and rice. 7.5/10
- 7 Greens Gumbo with chicken and sausage. Fantastic! Super flavorful. Better than the Gumbo and Blue Bayou by a mile. You do have to be a fan of white beans and collared greens (which I am), but very flavorful. 8.5/10
- Other items:
- Ice box lemon beignet (custard was good but it’s basically a donor, not a beignet, stick with the ones next door) - 5/10

If the menu is missing something I’d recommend maybe a deconstructed Muffaletta salad or fried green tomatoes. But there’s a decent amount here. I think this will be a hit but this menu is a decent test as this definitely experiments with more Southern flavors than your typical family from Tustin, Brea, or Whittier may be accustomed to. I also hope it can maintain its standards a year or two out.

The Muffsandy and gumbo seem to be getting the best reviews. But I’d have to go with the regular gumbo though. Those yams just don’t seem right in there. I’m guessing you didn’t mind the yams?

Californian Elitist

Top items:
- Other items:
- Ice box lemon beignet (custard was good but it’s basically a donor, not a beignet, stick with the ones next door) - 5/10

Thank you for your review and photos! I’ve been weary of the mac and cheese ever since the first promo photos. It looks basic, but I’d have to try it for myself, of course. The Muffuletta seems to be an all-around hit.

Let’s be honest, anything at Tiana’s is better than tendies and burgies.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

The Muffsandy and gumbo seem to be getting the best reviews. But I’d have to go with the regular gumbo though. Those yams just don’t seem right in there. I’m guessing you didn’t mind the yams?
The yams are honestly not super strong in terms of flavor profile and are complimented by other flavors. I’m usually not a huge fan of yams on Thanksgiving but the base of the roux disguised that flavor or at least supplemented it sufficiently for my palate.

I think given the heat outside I went with the “lighter” 7 greens since the original was a darker roux (base) which lends itself to milder weather.

mickEblu

The yams are honestly not super strong in terms of flavor profile and are complimented by other flavors. I’m usually not a huge fan of yams on Thanksgiving but the base of the roux disguised that flavor or at least supplemented it sufficiently for my palate.

I think given the heat outside I went with the “lighter” 7 greens since the original was a darker roux (base) which lends itself to milder weather.

That makes sense. I honestly don’t see myself getting any gumbo as an entree any time it’s hotter than 75/80 degrees but I’m sure it’ll hit on a cool day or evening between November and February.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom