"Thrill" Rides

BG Rugger

Original Poster
I was in a discussion of a buddy of mine the other day talking about WDW. He said that "Disney was for kids and USF/IOA was better because it had more thrill rides". I went through the usual spiel all of us are familiar with about Disney's atmosphere, theming, making the world go away, etc etc. After a while I began to think about what he said. What exactly is a "thrill ride"? One would obviously come to the literal conclusion that its a ride that thrills people. But based on this, which rides are thrill rides? He and a lot of other people consider monstrous roller coasters like The Hulk & Dueling Dragons to be thrill rides along with the likes of Spiderman and Back to the Future. I'm not saying these aren't great attractions because they without a doubt are. But does the titile "thrill ride" exclusively belong to these adrenaline pumping big budget rides? My conclusion is no. I get more of a thrill out of riding Pirates of the Carribean than most attractions at IOA. To me the biggest roller coaster cant top the thrill of seeing Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress. When I go to WDW every ride gives me a thrill; from the little Teacups to Mission: Space. So the next time I see my frined I'm going to tell him how WDW indeed DOES have more thrill rides than USF/IOA.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is a very general explanation but if a ride has a height restriction it can be construed as a “thrill” ride. Some would argue that a restraint system equals thrill ride but Splash Mountain is definitely a thrill ride and there is no restraint system while in HM there is a restraint system but definitely not a thrill ride.But this is really only a technical explanation of a thrill ride. IMHO you are right I like PotC more that anything Universal has to offer.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I wouldn't waste my time trying to argue the issue. People like that obviously haven't really experienced Disney and aren't going to concede regardless of the facts. Just enjoy the fact that you are able to appreciate what Disney has...and feel sorry for the others.

PurpleDragon

BG Rugger said:
I get more of a thrill out of riding Pirates of the Carribean than most attractions at IOA. To me the biggest roller coaster cant top the thrill of seeing Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress.

I can understand being a fan of Disney attractions, but that is a bit rediculous. The society standard for "Thrill ride" is a ride that pulls some type of G's or simulates G's forces, to the point of releasing adrenalin. For the most part roller coasters and motion simulators are considered thrill rides. So SM, RnRC, ToT, M:S, and TT are all considered "Thrill Rides". But in no sense of the word is CoP a "Thrill" in any way by todays standards. I like CoP and all, but I would never say that its more thrilling than any ride at IOA. To quote Crush "You got some serious thrillage issues dude!!" :lol:

PurpleDragon

venooch333 said:
Its more thrilling than one fish two fish red fish blue fish

:lol: True! I'll give you that one!!

mshaps said:
I get a thrill just being at WDW. Everyone's definition of thrill is different.

I agree whole heartedly!

However, I was simply explaining the public's general definition of "Thrill ride" and how that definition does not fit with a large number of WDW's rides.

PhilharMagician

PurpleDragon said:
I can understand being a fan of Disney attractions, but that is a bit rediculous. The society standard for "Thrill ride" is a ride that pulls some type of G's or simulates G's forces, to the point of releasing adrenalin. For the most part roller coasters and motion simulators are considered thrill rides. So SM, RnRC, ToT, M:S, and TT are all considered "Thrill Rides". But in no sense of the word is CoP a "Thrill" in any way by todays standards. I like CoP and all, but I would never say that its more thrilling than any ride at IOA. To quote Crush "You got some serious thrillage issues dude!!" :lol:

Don't forget Star Wars and Body Wars (if it opens again). Then maybe even Maelstrom and Kali River Rapids. They both have minor but thrilling drops. Now add in Sorin and EE over the next year.

I would say if you take all of Disney's parks and add up the thrill rides there should be plenty for a thrill seeker to do.

MuRkErY

TBH.

I think the theming at IOA is probably better than any of the Disney Florida parks.

All though the theming at the Disney parks is great as well, i think IOA tops them by a little bit.

PhilharMagician

MuRkErY said:
TBH.

I think the theming at IOA is probably better than any of the Disney Florida parks.

All though the theming at the Disney parks is great as well, i think IOA tops them by a little bit.

I would say that with IOA they have gotten much better @ themeing. US did fall short on the huge green corkscrew that runs through the park called The Hulk. Some of the areas the detail is amazing, but others it is terrible. I personally was shocked by the amazing detail that was put into Suess Land.

DisneySam

I had a similar experience at Disney with a friend of mine who talked all day about how he was bored and there weren't enough rides. Needless to say I did not take him back to Disney again :rolleyes:

Indy95

MuRkErY said:
TBH.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh dear me...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I don't think I can disagree on ANY SUBJECT more than this. Don't say this to serious park designers, or any of the bigwigs (Eddie Sotto, etc.)...you'll get laughed out of the room.

Read ANY of the books dedicated to Disney design and architecture (ESPECIALLY John Hench's "Designing Disney") and then you'll see that IOA, while it has good theming, doesn't even come close to old-school Disney. I might give you that IOA is themed better than AK, and perhaps MGM, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Epcot and MK.

barnum42

I like your thinking BG :D

I guess the subconscious definition of "thrill ride" means "speed", be it real or simulated. Yours seems a more accurate definition though.

tigger248

PurpleDragon said:

Well, I guess you can add me to the list of those with serious thrillage issues. While rides at US and IOA do give me a thrill, I don't think I'd classify them any higher at all than WDW's rides. It all excites and thrills me from the WDW RR, to Winnie the Pooh, to Splash Mountain, to MS, etc. I get more excited while waiting in line for Peter Pan than I do while waiting for Spiderman (which by far is my favorite at IOA). I get much more excited over Splash Mountain than I do over Jurasic Park and Rip Saw Falls combined. Buzz Lightyear beats the pants off MIB, imo. I could go on with the comparisons, but I think you get the picture. The WDW rides are just more thrilling to me, by my definition of thrill (which is about the same as what BG Rugger said). But, I guess that's why I haven't been to USO since December 2002, when I had an annual pass while on the CP, and I've been to WDW 4 times since December 2002.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Indy95 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh dear me...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I don't think I can disagree on ANY SUBJECT more than this. Don't say this to serious park designers, or any of the bigwigs (Eddie Sotto, etc.)...you'll get laughed out of the room.

Read ANY of the books dedicated to Disney design and architecture (ESPECIALLY John Hench's "Designing Disney") and then you'll see that IOA, while it has good theming, doesn't even come close to old-school Disney. I might give you that IOA is themed better than AK, and perhaps MGM, but it's not even in the same ballpark as Epcot and MK.

hate to tell you but theres no room for old style Disney and its high costs in Eisnerworld.

Indy95

Pumbas Nakasak said:
hate to tell you but theres no room for old style Disney and its high costs in Eisnerworld.
Never said there was. Eisnerworld still hasn't brought MK and Epcot's theming down to Universal levels. It's going to take a Pressler-like effort to pull that one off.

peter11435

Indy95 said:

And yet I would argue that AK is the best themed park in Florida.

Indy95

peter11435 said:
And yet I would argue that AK is the best themed park in Florida.
Which is why I said "might," in case he had a good argument. AK's theme has some problems...but still is arguably better than UO.

cloudboy

This is my attempt to make an definitive description of what a thrill ride is out of generally accepted ideas:

A thrill ride is a ride where joy is obtained by either physical or strong sensory effects designed to heighten adrenalin levels.

Anotherwords, roller coasters drive up adrenalin levels by creating g forces. Rides like Alien Encounters drive up adrenalin levels through sensory input. Dark rides, for instance, rely on the story line and emotional effects. Some rides use bits of both, such as Splash.

Lynx04

RnR thrill, ToT Thrill. The difference and only difference between Universal and Disney is maturity level of the attraction story. Universal attractions have a more PG13 feel then most of Disney, Disney has more of a PG feel in their thrill attractions. Even though ToT is a thrill ride the attraction to me doesn't have this your going to die feel to it. Disney trys to stick to the lighter side even when they try to scare you. The only true PG13 attraction disney has, I mean had, was AE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom