Thoughts/Suggestions on August 2011

jen42002

Wondering how the week of August 20-27, 2011 will be? I know it will be hot but...

Weather besides heat? Rain etc.
Crowds? (it is the first week of free dining)
Any other things I should know about this time?
Any must dos during this time?

My kids will be in 3rd grade and I work at their school. Not sure I will be able to take off to go another time. Am I nuts to consider this week?

Thanks!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've been going in August because of school for my son. It's hot.

The later you go in the month, the better the crowds get. They're manageable at the time you're planning. Careful use of FPs and pacing yourselves is the best advice.

We had a few healthy rainfalls, but with ponchos we were fine [except the day we didn't have them with us].

Upvote 0

DiPSU224

We visited August 18-27 last year. It was definitely hot, but nothing more than I would expect of Florida in the summer. It was crowded at the start and the crowds dwindled as the week went by. We did experience more rain than ever before on a trip but I do remember there being a tropical storm passing by. You might get lucky and start to see some of the fall decorations start to pop up. It was neat how literally overnight on our last day we walked into the MK and Main Street was all decked out in its fall gear.

I think you will go and have a wonderful time. Even a crowded, rainy week at Disney is better than a normal week at home, right?

Upvote 0

jen42002

Original Poster
We actually went in October 2009 during the record heat (98 degrees and 95% humidity). The kids did remarkably well. We just made sure to keep them hydrated with water (spent most of our snack credits on water!) and took breaks. We also scheduled a TS meal each day to get them out of the heat which helped. Most days we were able to be at the park from about 9 am - 7 or 8 pm without a problem. The AK, however, is so hot we were spent by 3 pm. Also swam everyday. I actually think kids can cope with heat alot better than we adults can :)

Upvote 0

luvGoofy

We go with our 2 children every year the last 2 weeks of August because that is the only time we can go. It is very hot but if you plan well it is alot of fun. Crowds were not that bad...use fp...swim in the afternoons...and carry rain ponchos and it will be a blast.

Upvote 0

JonBoy

Being a teacher in the UK we go for 2 weeks in August every year, and yes it is hot however it is fine if you drink plenty of water and make the most of the AC in the stores! We also ensure that wse take time out in the afternoon and relax back at resort. easier if you are staying on site I guess! Either way you will have a fantastic time!:wave:

Upvote 0

jen42002

Original Poster
Being a teacher in the UK we go for 2 weeks in August every year, and yes it is hot however it is fine if you drink plenty of water and make the most of the AC in the stores! We also ensure that wse take time out in the afternoon and relax back at resort. easier if you are staying on site I guess! Either way you will have a fantastic time!:wave:

When does school start back in the UK?

Upvote 0

mickeysshoes

We will be there the same time next year....this will be a week later than the last 2 years for us. I would have to assume that the heat will be just as bad but the crowds will be a little less and we have not had any issues with the crowds the past 2 years. As for dealing with the heat....get out early in the am...take a break in the late morning early afternoon for a swim and head back out night. While out in the height of the heat..plenty of H2O and try to make sure to do plenty of indoor shows to cool off. The hardest part of the heat during this time is going to AK....its like the jungle and not a lot things inside to take a break. With it being first week of FD make sure to make any important ADR as early as possible. Have lots of fun.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom