Thoughts on turf club?

Jess G

Original Poster
After a few opinions steering me away from Kona cafe for dinner I'm thinking of going to the turf club instead... How is the food there?

jakeman

After a few opinions steering me away from Kona cafe for dinner I'm thinking of going to the turf club instead... How is the food there?
It's been hit or miss for me over the years. It was really good, then bad, and the last time just okay. So I was pretty much no help.

I think @ScoutN may have been there recently (or I could be wrong).

Phonedave

I own at SSR, and we stay there often. I have eaten at Turf Club many many times. My take on it is, I have no problem eating there if I am there. However, I would not make a special trip over to SSR just to eat there. Maybe it is because I have eaten there so many times, and the menu is fairly small (and rarely changes) but I am quite bored with the place. The food is good, and there is nothing wrong with it, but there is also nothing that makes it stand out in my opinion.

-dave

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Would anybody say that I'm better off trying captains grille instead of turf club?

Highly recommend Captain's Grille. Just make sure to make a reservation, because even though the place is always half-empty, they give you a hard time about seating you if you don't have an ADR. I think they don't have enough staff on hand to handle walk-ups.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
It's been hit or miss for me over the years. It was really good, then bad, and the last time just okay. So I was pretty much no help.

I think @ScoutN may have been there recently (or I could be wrong).

Another vote for hit or miss. Once got violently ill after eating there, but I did go back and it was fine.
I had lunch there in '12 and it was so-so. It hits the atmosphere on the head for your typical high end country club but the food and prices did not line up. That was in 2012. With a four year difference in there, I would give it another go.

slappy magoo

I had lunch there in '12 and it was so-so. It hits the atmosphere on the head for your typical high end country club but the food and prices did not line up. That was in 2012. With a four year difference in there, I would give it another go.
Turf Club serves lunch? Any time I've ever stayed there when Turf Club existed (it didn't exist when SS first opened, and was added when people complained about the lack of a table service option), they only served dinner. And currently they're only open for dinner. Maybe it was an odd time, like a holiday where things are so busy they add extra hours to restaurants that are normally more limited?

To the original question, I agree with @Phonedave in that Turf Club is a "nice-enough" restaurant that is rarely busy, has a limited menu but what they make tends to be tasty. If I were staying in SS, I'd make it a point to eat there once. If I were staying at Old Key West, I'd probably make it a point to take the boat there (a nice ride) for dinner, once. If I happened to be in Disney Springs around dinner time and a: I could not get reservations at a restaurant in the area or b: I just wanted to get away from the noise for a quiet meal, I'd consider a leisurely stroll to SS. But since buying points at Saratoga, there has never been a time where I've stayed anywhere else (Wilderness, Boardwalk, Bay Lake) and even thought about going there. And we always drive so we wouldn't have to rely on Disney buses or other transportation.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Turf Club serves lunch? Any time I've ever stayed there when Turf Club existed (it didn't exist when SS first opened, and was added when people complained about the lack of a table service option), they only served dinner. And currently they're only open for dinner. Maybe it was an odd time, like a holiday where things are so busy they add extra hours to restaurants that are normally more limited?

It does not serve lunch any longer. If you Google "Saratoga Springs Turf Club Lunch" you can find reviews of it from everyone under the sun down to Sally Sue in Boise, Idaho. Lack of traffic during lunch got it canned.

Demeter Tess

I've not eaten at Turf Club, but can HIGHLY recommend Captain's Grille! The prices are right and the food is delicious, plus you get to soak in the ambience of the Boardwalk, which is always a treat.

Jon81uk

We atayed at SSR in 2010 and remember strange limited hours for Turf Club, something like 5pm to 9pm only. We wanted to eat after 9, so drove to POR for Boatwrights :)

slappy magoo

It does not serve lunch any longer. If you Google "Saratoga Springs Turf Club Lunch" you can find reviews of it from everyone under the sun down to Sally Sue in Boise, Idaho. Lack of traffic during lunch got it canned.
While I haven't found any reviews I'm going to amend my question anyway, because the more I rattle my brain, the more I remember - VAGUELY - an afternoon our first time at Saratoga Springs (2005) where we stopped to have a drink at that bar in the Turf CL=lub, and we played a game of pool. We didn't have lunch but I'm starting to remember some kind of lunch menu, albeit "pub grub," burgers and sandwiches and appetizers. But it's hazy.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
While I haven't found any reviews I'm going to amend my question anyway, because the more I rattle my brain, the more I remember - VAGUELY - an afternoon our first time at Saratoga Springs (2005) where we stopped to have a drink at that bar in the Turf CL=lub, and we played a game of pool. We didn't have lunch but I'm starting to remember some kind of lunch menu, albeit "pub grub," burgers and sandwiches and appetizers. But it's hazy.

@wdwmagic may have a photo of it somewhere. I found his posts from when it was announced that lunch service was being discontinued but that did not have the menu in it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom