Thoughts on castle projections?

Amidala

Original Poster
I know most of the reviews for HEA have been positive, but I'm kind of starting to dread seeing it. Projections just don't feel...magical to me? Maybe that will change as technology advances, but right now, I'm very aware that I'm seeing a bunch of Photoshopped movie clips...it feels like I'm watching a YouTube AMV. Obviously the quality will differ from one show to another (I did love Celebrate the Magic, but this was more because of the music and overall feel of the show than the strength of the projections; OUAT does nothing for me, and didn't feel like a worthy replacement) but I would rather see classic fireworks with music and colors changing on the castle.

I've seen a lot of different factors mentioned in concert w/ this decision. Some have said that the price point of HEA may not be as steep as a "purer" fireworks shows, but I find that hard to believe. Even if there are fewer fireworks (by a small margin), the addition of updated projections and lasers are going to be costly, right? Then I've heard that WDW is trying to reduce its carbon footprint, which seems even less likely to me. They haven't done away with fireworks completely, and (whatever else Disney might claim to the contrary) I don't think a massive company like Disney would care unless enough guests complained about the air pollution.

It seems more like TPTB have seen that guests are wowed by "bigger and better" and want to pile on as many new features to the nighttime shows as possible. I know nighttime shows abroad (Disney Dreams at DLP comes to mind, but I'm not sure if this is one of them) have employed lasers and projections during fireworks shows w/ great success, so transitioning the practice to MK makes good business sense.

But the whole thing just feels cluttered to me. On top of everything else, I feel like adding projections to the fireworks makes the existence of a separate projection show (in this case OUAT) redundant. There was just something about Celebrate the Magic as a lead in to Wishes that worked and really kept guests on the edge of their seats for 30+ minutes. With HEA, it seems like we're officially moving away from classic fireworks shows, and I can't help but feel a little crestfallen about that.

Reviews of HEA aside (and I'm sure it's a great show), do you think all fireworks shows should have movie projections going forward?

rob0519

No. I've never liked projection technology on buildings. In the case of the castle it just jams more and more people onto Main St. trying to get a look. With Wishes, you could basically see the entire show from any side of the castle without feeling you were missing too much.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Having been asked....

My dear wife and I avoid what we consider to be junk. A Power Point presentation on the castle, to US, is simply a distraction from whatever fireworks are occurring at the MK.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Amidala

Original Poster
I 100% agree w/ all of you here, but I have a feeling this is an opinion that will be in the minority for WDW guests. I get the feeling fireworks shows like HEA will become the standard going forward. I just wish TDO had improved OUAT, or created a brand new projection show, to complement a fireworks-only show (be it Wishes or a new and improved fireworks show). This just feels...messy to me. Hoping I'll change my mind once I've seen HEA, but have a feeling that won't be the case.

DisAl

I think the castle looks best as just a castle, not a projection screen. I didn't like it when they tried to make a birthday cake out of it a few years back either. It looked utterly ridiculous in my opinion.

PaisleyMF

I will disagree with most people here but then I do like the show at all. I know is not everybody's cup of tea, but hear me out. The show it self doesn't take away from the castle (no more than a birthday cake did or the "magic" mirror and gold) it enhances it beauty and make it more magical. The show it self can be seen from a good amount of area around the hub, and still clear enough to be seen from the Train Station under rain. That is a "photoshop" show, I am so glad to say that is not, as Disney got some really good animators to work on the show on custom animation for it. and In some cases even enhance the looks of it for show.

That it takes away that aww feeling of the fireworks, NO, it actually makes the caste a good part of the show, not something that is floating over it. The music, the feeling is amazing. And the YouTube videos of it, don't give it justice once you see it live.

That is not as environmental as it should be... Because the new projection systems been used, now they can make it brighter and with more quality on the picture using the same amount of energy that the previous show did...

I say give it a chance before... You won't regret it.

Scor1pion

My family and I just saw the new show for the first time on Wednesday July 19th. While I think the show was wonderful, it will take some time and repeat viewings to earn its place in my heart. I thought the projections were quite good, bright and clear. Fireworks were great. But, most of the time, it felt like 2 different shows. I felt the fireworks and Wishes complimented each other and worked together. With HEA, most of the time I feel like ti 2 different shows that could almost run independent of each other.

The biggest problem I see with a projection show is it limited angle of view. With HEA being very projection heavy, there is only one good angle to view it from....in front of the castle. There just simply is not enough room for everyone to view the show from the front..especially for short people or children. You either need to line up 2 hours ahead of time or accept the fact that there are parts you won't be able to see.

BoarderPhreak

It takes hard work and magic to light up the castle beautifully with traditional lighting... And can be seen 360º around.

It requires none of that to project an image onto it. It looks like one of those cheap projectors you can get from late night infomercials to turn your house into a Christmas/Haloween wonderland for $19.99.

_caleb

The projection shows contributed in part to the transformation of the hub area from a lush area with trees and benches into the unpleasant area it is now. On that basis alone I'd rather forego them and restore the area to it's former glory.
It makes sense to me that you would miss the old hub (bridges over water, greenery). But it was always congested. Now, the hub has been converted to a high-capacity, low-maintenance viewing area for the castle "shows." It's different, but making the hub the focus of the fireworks show is a great approach to luring people out of the back of park at the end of the day in order to get them closer to the gates (and Main Street retail).

PaisleyMF

It takes hard work and magic to light up the castle beautifully with traditional lighting... And can be seen 360º around.

It requires none of that to project an image onto it. It looks like one of those cheap projectors you can get from late night infomercials to turn your house into a Christmas/Haloween wonderland for $19.99.
Lighting still there, still all around the castle.

And lets say that for a low, low price of $100K per projector (and over 24 of them) you can have the same results (and your retina burn too).

The Tuna

I haven't seen it live but watching it I figure those who have never seen Wishes will be blown away by the technology and combination of fireworks and projections. I think for us veterans it will take a while to truly appreciate it or dislike it. I didn't feel any kind of cohesion with the show unlike other fireworks shows that have come and gone over the years like Summer Night-tastic which I loved, but didn't see live. As usual it will all come down to personal preference but I have watched it a few times now and don't feel the attachment to it. I also don't like fantasmic so I may be in the minority here.

hoffman1

I haven't seen the new show but I saw the previous projection shows and I was really surprised that I liked it!
I was all set to hate it but after seeing the projections, I changed my mind.
It was cute, fun, and sometimes gave me all the feels.

The Empress Lilly

The projection shows contributed in part to the transformation of the hub area from a lush area with trees and benches into the unpleasant area it is now. On that basis alone I'd rather forego them and restore the area to it's former glory.
Really the end all and be all of castle projection shows.

PaisleyMF

Just think the possibilities, Wishes 2.0 The Revenge of the Projectors...

OR Wishes 2.0 now with More Projection.

Joking aside, I would LOVE to see wishes with Projection, Like they did with Remember Dreams Come True at Disneyland.

danyoung56

I'm a big fan of the projection shows. Part of that is because I've made my living for several years as a projection engineer, and really appreciate the technology. I'll be seeing HEA for the first time ever in September, from the dessert party viewing area, and I couldn't be more excited.

That said, no, I don't think it's necessary for ALL fireworks shows to have a projection element. I don't see how it would work in Epcot, for example (even though Epcot makes up for the no projections with the video globe). It's a nice tool, but I don't think it needs to be used everywhere for every event.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom