Thoughts on castle projections?

po1998

It takes hard work and magic to light up the castle beautifully with traditional lighting... And can be seen 360º around.

It requires none of that to project an image onto it. It looks like one of those cheap projectors you can get from late night infomercials to turn your house into a Christmas/Haloween wonderland for $19.99.
Ummm...isn't the castle still lit up in various colors after dark, when the beyond hideous $19.99 projection show isn't occurring?

danyoung56

It takes hard work and magic to light up the castle beautifully with traditional lighting... And can be seen 360º around.

It requires none of that to project an image onto it.

While you of course are welcome to your opinion, what you have stated above is just wrong. It takes far more skill and technical wizardry to project onto the castle. You might prefer one over the other, but to say that projecting is easy is to not understand the technology that goes into it.

Minthorne

The projection mapping is a fantastic technology that is truly magical. I think that HEA is a vast improvement over Wishes.

BoarderPhreak

While you of course are welcome to your opinion, what you have stated above is just wrong. It takes far more skill and technical wizardry to project onto the castle. You might prefer one over the other, but to say that projecting is easy is to not understand the technology that goes into it.

If you're talking about wraparound projection and coordination among two dozen projectors, sure. I'll give you that.

JIMINYCR

When it initially began I was unsure how I would feel about "My Castle" being messed up with projections. I imagined how gaudy it would look and what could it possibly add to the entertainment ? After viewing various projection shows I've become a fan of them. In my opinion they add a lot to the show and have been very entertaining. I'm just awestruck at how the Castle transitions into various spectacular scenes. The choreography and blending of the music has been so well done I now think of how dull the past has been and look forward to more.

danyoung56

If you're talking about wraparound projection and coordination among two dozen projectors, sure. I'll give you that.

What I mean is that there is a much greater specificity to projection mapping than there is with putting up color changing flood lights. Of course computers are involved, and the mapping has to be extremely accurate. Now, what they do with that projection is an entirely different thing. Just because the technology is there doesn't guarantee a great show. But I've been very impressed with Disney's use of projection mapping in the recent past, and I'm really looking forward to seeing this new show for myself.

Amidala

Original Poster
I will disagree with most people here but then I do like the show at all. I know is not everybody's cup of tea, but hear me out. The show it self doesn't take away from the castle (no more than a birthday cake did or the "magic" mirror and gold) it enhances it beauty and make it more magical. The show it self can be seen from a good amount of area around the hub, and still clear enough to be seen from the Train Station under rain. That is a "photoshop" show, I am so glad to say that is not, as Disney got some really good animators to work on the show on custom animation for it. and In some cases even enhance the looks of it for show.

That it takes away that aww feeling of the fireworks, NO, it actually makes the caste a good part of the show, not something that is floating over it. The music, the feeling is amazing. And the YouTube videos of it, don't give it justice once you see it live.

That is not as environmental as it should be... Because the new projection systems been used, now they can make it brighter and with more quality on the picture using the same amount of energy that the previous show did...

I say give it a chance before... You won't regret it.

Just to be clear, I'm definitely not passing judgement on the quality of the HEA projections, since I haven't seen it yet–just the quality of other/previous projections (Celebrate the Magic, OUAT) which were very lacking imo. I don't object to projections in general either...I would just prefer that projection shows and fireworks shows be two separate and distinct shows. I've heard that, as good as HEA is, its music can't compare to Wishes' (don't know if this is true, and would love to hear opinions on this too!). Going into a fireworks show at Disney, my priorities are music and storytelling (it can be a very simple story thread, but everything should feel connected). And this is my concern going forward...that TDO will be so focused on piling as many special effects onto future fireworks shows as possible that they will overlook what truly gives a fireworks show staying power and makes it a "classic."

Lol. "I haven't seen it, but I don't like it."

C'mon...I never once said I didn't like it, and even ended this post saying I'm sure HEA is a great show. I'm just genuinely trying to get peoples' opinions on mixing projections with fireworks and the kind of precedent HEA sets for future fireworks shows, specifically because I haven't seen it.

AndyS2992

The thing with HEA is that there is too much going on and you don't know where to look. I find the best views are from a distance so you can focus mainly on the fireworks and somewhat ignore the projections, or if you prefer projections then stand closer and focus on that rather than the fireworks, I find you will enjoy it much more if you focus on just one or the other.

Whereas, Disney Illuminations at Disneyland Paris has the perfect balance of fireworks and projections where one doesn't negatively over shadow the other making for a much more engaging show.

Chef Mickey

I've let my thoughts known on this, but I'll summarize again.

HEA is a mashup. Sure, it has our favorites, but it doesn't flow like Wishes.
  • The show lacks a solid beginning, middle, and triumphant finale.
  • The projections detract form the fireworks.
  • The projections are too random and hard to see completely.
  • The HEA fireworks themselves are better than Wishes.
  • Wishes is overall a better show, not even really close for me.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I think the castle looks best as just a castle, not a projection screen. I didn't like it when they tried to make a birthday cake out of it a few years back either. It looked utterly ridiculous in my opinion.

In total agreement, especially about the birthday cake Castle. Horrible, ugly

THEMEPARKPIONEER

I like the fact the the images were hand drawn, to me that's a centimental work of art, the music on the other hand doesn't really do it for me but for me it's just new music, I always watch from Liberty square.

Princess Kaylee

I know most of the reviews for HEA have been positive, but I'm kind of starting to dread seeing it. Projections just don't feel...magical to me? Maybe that will change as technology advances, but right now, I'm very aware that I'm seeing a bunch of Photoshopped movie clips...it feels like I'm watching a YouTube AMV. Obviously the quality will differ from one show to another (I did love Celebrate the Magic, but this was more because of the music and overall feel of the show than the strength of the projections; OUAT does nothing for me, and didn't feel like a worthy replacement) but I would rather see classic fireworks with music and colors changing on the castle.

I've seen a lot of different factors mentioned in concert w/ this decision. Some have said that the price point of HEA may not be as steep as a "purer" fireworks shows, but I find that hard to believe. Even if there are fewer fireworks (by a small margin), the addition of updated projections and lasers are going to be costly, right? Then I've heard that WDW is trying to reduce its carbon footprint, which seems even less likely to me. They haven't done away with fireworks completely, and (whatever else Disney might claim to the contrary) I don't think a massive company like Disney would care unless enough guests complained about the air pollution.

It seems more like TPTB have seen that guests are wowed by "bigger and better" and want to pile on as many new features to the nighttime shows as possible. I know nighttime shows abroad (Disney Dreams at DLP comes to mind, but I'm not sure if this is one of them) have employed lasers and projections during fireworks shows w/ great success, so transitioning the practice to MK makes good business sense.

But the whole thing just feels cluttered to me. On top of everything else, I feel like adding projections to the fireworks makes the existence of a separate projection show (in this case OUAT) redundant. There was just something about Celebrate the Magic as a lead in to Wishes that worked and really kept guests on the edge of their seats for 30+ minutes. With HEA, it seems like we're officially moving away from classic fireworks shows, and I can't help but feel a little crestfallen about that.

Reviews of HEA aside (and I'm sure it's a great show), do you think all fireworks shows should have movie projections going forward?

At the end of the day Disney World is trying their best. Some people have unrealistic expectations that just can't be met. Disney could pay you to go into the parks and people would still complain. I think the projections are fun and beautiful. Change is good.

Amidala

Original Poster
I've let my thoughts known on this, but I'll summarize again.

HEA is a mashup. Sure, it has our favorites, but it doesn't flow like Wishes.
  • The show lacks a solid beginning, middle, and triumphant finale.
  • The projections detract form the fireworks.
  • The projections are too random and hard to see completely.
  • The HEA fireworks themselves are better than Wishes.
  • Wishes is overall a better show, not even really close for me.

This makes a lot of sense, and since story and soundtrack are my priorities, I'll probably feel pretty similarly once I've seen it.

At the end of the day Disney World is trying their best. Some people have unrealistic expectations that just can't be met. Disney could pay you to go into the parks and people would still complain. I think the projections are fun and beautiful. Change is good.

I mean, I'm generally pretty open to change–I don't mind IPs (within reason), don't mind ride changes or replacements, etc. But I'm not going to be completely uncritical of TDO. People have different tastes...there are always things some will like better than others, and I've said many times in this thread that I'm sure HEA is a good show on its own, and I'm not trying to knock it.

"Change is good" is also just...a very generalized statement. Change can be good or bad...that's dependent on circumstance.

AndyS2992

In total agreement, especially about the birthday cake Castle. Horrible, ugly
It seems I'm the only one on Earth who liked the Castle cake :oops: I love it when Disney decoratesd for celebrations.

These days people complain at how cheap and uncaring TDO is but the one time they went all out people still complained.

PaisleyMF

ALRIGHT. I am going for the technical aspects of the show at this point. AND yes I kinda agree that the segments (event the animation transitions beautifully between segments and songs) the segments themselves sound a little whack. But still LOVE HEA.

NOW for the technical part. The show uses over 24 projectors that are in total sync with each other (that may be a bit off between them as how they look, but that is another tread). one of the biggest projection mapping events in history, (this one is listed in 2014, was 104 projectors, 4 servers and an 8K resolution file (Largest Building Projection Ever), SO adding more projection can be done. Okay so lets say that this projection is on the front of the castle at 24 projectors (it may be more as the new technology been use takes advantage of a brand new placements) the original show was using the rooftops of Casey's Corner, the Plaza, Cosmic Ray's and the Christmas Shop. SO that covers the front, BUT what about the back and giving it that 360 degrees look. well with the Castle Coture / Philarmagic and Sir Mickeys in the way, that may have a real problem. Also that the Carousel is right in the middle of the area, it removes some viewing spots for the back of the castle, and that yes technically you can use some of these area rooftops to project, those are also consider fallouts for fireworks and not safe (as sprinkles may be on to protect for the fallouts).

But I am just a tech (not for Disney)... Who am I to know this.

Delgado

If it counts for anything...I saw HEA on Main Street in the plaza garden viewing and sitting by dumbo ride...
HEA is a good show, it's great. It was a different kind of great watching it by Dumbo. When I was sitting at dumbo I paid attention to the fireworks and could hear the music, I loved it. In the plaza garden the castle was too busy to pay enough attention to the gorgeous display of fireworks.

I suggest watching it atleast once from Main Street but don't feel like you have to. The music and the fireworks are nice by themselves too. I just take things for what they are though. I can dream that wishes will be back but it's not. Embrace the now and enjoy the show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom