Thoughts on a Skyliner between Transportation and Ticket Center, Magic Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge?

Heppenheimer

Not sure if it was the first because in the early days Disney was pretty good at keeping bad things quiet, but I do recall one in 1986 at Fort Wilderness... I heard rumor that there was on in the seven seas lagoon in the 70's but I never ready any news reports on that one.
Correct, I remember hearing about the Ft. Wilderness attack. I don't think there was a death involved, however.

But if you really want to be safe on your Disney vacation... don't drive there. By far and away, this is the most dangerous thing any of us will ever do. Compare Florida traffic fatalities to alligator fatalities, and I bet the former is order of magnitudes greater.

thomas998

The reality of the situation is alligators attacks are not common. And that's the mainstream accepted premise.
I never said they were common. Being struck by lightning isn't common either but I still don't go to a golf course when there is a lightning storm near or any other open area... Using your common sense to avoid a pathway that has potential danger when there are other less dangerous options makes sense to me. If you don't understand that, so be it.

And I wouldn't go around making my life's decisions based on the mainstream accepted premises on anything, the mainstream premises, there is an endless list of the times the mainstream accepted premises have been wrong.

Mickey5150

This thread is just a way for the original poster to be right that the MK needs the Skyliner and every other idea is wrong. What's the point of starting a thread if every comment gets a "nope, won't work, need the Skyliner" reply?

justintheharris

Original Poster
This thread is just a way for the original poster to be right that the MK needs the Skyliner and every other idea is wrong. What's the point of starting a thread if every comment gets a "nope, won't work, need the Skyliner" reply?
Because the only solution that anyone else has proposed is a foot path and adding more monorails or ferries. The footpath is an issue because not many guests are going to walk over a mile to their car. I think the path that will like GF Poly and TTC is going to be 1.7 miles.
With regard to additional monorails and ferries, monorails already run at maximum capacity at that hour. They cannot add another without expanding the track as each monorail needs to be a certain distance apart. I can't speak for the ferries but ferries load rather slowly which needs to be taken into account. If I post a thread with an idea, of course I'm going to defend it. And when someone raises a good point, I adjust accordingly. Someone brought up the boats that go to Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. With that in consideration, a skyliner to those locations probably isn't necessary as those boats tend to have short wait times. The only advantage of a skyliner in those resorts would be for guests who wanted to take the skyliner to TTC to take the monorail to Epcot. So with all that in consideration, I dropped the idea of a skyliner for those resorts. However, I still don't believe a viable solution has been raised for the evening park exit rush at magic kingdom. A walking path will have a relatively small impact and additional monorails isn't possible.

Last edited:

Heppenheimer

If I had the option of waiting 2 hours in line or walking 1.7 miles, I would easily take the latter. Especially at the end of a long day at the Magic Kingdom.

justintheharris

Original Poster
If I had the option of waiting 2 hours in line or walking 1.7 miles, I would easily take the latter. Especially at the end of a long day at the Magic Kingdom.
I absolutely agree with you. I will definitely be walking most nights when the path opens. It's just unlikely that the demographics of Magic Kingdom (especially after walking miles throughout the course of the day) will want to do so.

correcaminos

This! Though really I don't see the need for a skyliner when there is already good reliable transportation between WL and MK. I would hate the sight-lines of a skyliner around WL too. So hard pass for me.

Mickey5150

Transportation will never matter until they fix the real problem with the MK. The space from the train station to the turnstiles is a huge bottleneck that can't handle the traffic. Either blow up the train station or don't allow as many people in.

ryguy

Personally I am not a big fan of the look of the gondolas. I love the look of seven seas lagoon. So I would not be in favor from an aesthetic perspective.

Hank Hill

I am holding out hope for a zip line across the lagoon. Or better yet, a catapult into a giant net. Maybe a tow rope and water ski's. Let's think outside the box here.

Heppenheimer

I am holding out hope for a zip line across the lagoon. Or better yet, a catapult into a giant net. Maybe a tow rope and water ski's. Let's think outside the box here.
Don't be ridiculous. We all know that only a giant trebuchet will work. Disney could market it as "Soarin' Over the Seven Seas Lagoon", immediately followed by "Escape the Giant Net with Nemo and Friends".

rkleinlein

Is there any reason a proposed skyliner couldn't bypass TTC all together and connect MK directly with MK parking, with MK station just south of busses and parking station smack dab in the middle of the lot?

HiJe

Don't be ridiculous. We all know that only a giant trebuchet will work. Disney could market it as "Soarin' Over the Seven Seas Lagoon", immediately followed by "Escape the Giant Net with Nemo and Friends".

How much for the Trebuchet cupcake party event?

MikeyK72

Because the only solution that anyone else has proposed is a foot path and adding more monorails or ferries. The footpath is an issue because not many guests are going to walk over a mile to their car. I think the path that will like GF Poly and TTC is going to be 1.7 miles.
With regard to additional monorails and ferries, monorails already run at maximum capacity at that hour. They cannot add another without expanding the track as each monorail needs to be a certain distance apart. I can't speak for the ferries but ferries load rather slowly which needs to be taken into account. If I post a thread with an idea, of course I'm going to defend it. And when someone raises a good point, I adjust accordingly. Someone brought up the boats that go to Fort Wilderness and Wilderness Lodge. With that in consideration, a skyliner to those locations probably isn't necessary as those boats tend to have short wait times. The only advantage of a skyliner in those resorts would be for guests who wanted to take the skyliner to TTC to take the monorail to Epcot. So with all that in consideration, I dropped the idea of a skyliner for those resorts. However, I still don't believe a viable solution has been raised for the evening park exit rush at magic kingdom. A walking path will have a relatively small impact and additional monorails isn't possible.

I like the idea of the Skyliner between FW, WL, and TTC. Especially since Disney is planning the new DVC resort between FW and WL, that line could give folks at all 3 resorts a direct shot to TTC if they're headed to Epcot.

Surferboy567

Personally, as a person who stays at the Swan & Dolphin the one park that is ALWAYS the hardest to get to is AK. I think AK needs a Skyliner station the most since the only way to get to AK is to use the buses (which admittedly aren't the worst but would be nice). MK also has this problem but...I normally have a park hopper and could use the monorail from Epcot to get to MK (admittedly I never really do this and use the buses). MK though also could use a skyliner but AK is (at least in my opinion) the hardest park to get to.

MikeyK72

Personally, as a person who stays at the Swan & Dolphin the one park that is ALWAYS the hardest to get to is AK. I think AK needs a Skyliner station the most since the only way to get to AK is to use the buses (which admittedly aren't the worst but would be nice). MK also has this problem but...I normally have a park hopper and could use the monorail from Epcot to get to MK (admittedly I never really do this and use the buses). MK though also could use a skyliner but AK is (at least in my opinion) the hardest park to get to.

I'd like to see, at the very least, a Skyliner between Kidani/AKL and AK park. That would be a great start.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom