Thoughts on a Skyliner between Transportation and Ticket Center, Magic Kingdom and Wilderness Lodge?

justintheharris

Original Poster
THIS IS NOT A RUMOR OR CONFIRMED CONCEPT. SIMPLY A DREAM.

So I left Magic Kingdom last night as the park closed which is a nightmare as we all know and I began to think: what if Disney built another skyliner servicing Transportation and Ticket Center and the Magic Kingdom. While I know it hasn't gotten the best publicity at the moment with the crash, it is still an incredibly efficient system and could drastically alleviate the park close rush at Magic Kingdom. In addition, it could potentially connect Wilderness Lodge and maybe even Fort Wilderness (which would allow Disney to hike prices so they can see a monetary benefit. Sorry had to be said) If attendance keeps increasing, the monorail, ferry, the walkway and god knows how many buses cannot sustain the crowds. I don't even think you can argue that they're sustaining them right now unless you measure sustenance by just the mere ability to get all the guests out regardless of how long it takes. I personally think a new skyliner would be the best way to go.
TTC MK Skyliner thought.png

Given the current redesign of the Magic Kingdom entrance, I presume that a station to the left of the monorail station would be a practical location. However I am skeptical of the ability to connect Wilderness Lodge due to the fact that it would need to pass over the monorail. But I'd like to think it's possible.

Any thoughts on this? And I repeat, I'm well aware Disney has not displayed any intention of building this but I think that this would be a massive help every night at Magic Kingdom's close.
And I also know there has been rumors of the skyliner expanding but I don't think Magic Kingdom has been mentioned. I've mainly heard about Typoon Lagoon, Coronado Springs and Disney Springs.

justintheharris

Original Poster
One of the reasons why I have made the Wilderness Lodge my go-to resort is that the wait for the boat ride back from the Magic Kingdom at night is almost never particularly long. So unless things have changed since my last visit, the Wilderness Lodge really doesn't need a Skyliner to the Magic Kingdom.
I forgot about those boats! You're right.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I'd rather have a walkway connecting all of those resorts (and the MK). Sure it's a long walk. But it gives options.

In theory, once the GF walkway is built you could walk from the TTC to the MK. I'd like to see it on the other side (and including WL) as well.

justintheharris

Original Poster
I'd rather have a walkway connecting all of those resorts (and the MK). Sure it's a long walk. But it gives options.

In theory, once the GF walkway is built you could walk from the TTC to the MK. I'd like to see it on the other side (and including WL) as well.
Oh I absolutely agree! And the walkway to GF and Polynesian is confirmed but a skyliner would make it so you didn't need to walk and would move people quite efficiently. Especially with the help of the monorail and ferry and buses and people walking.

thomas998

THIS IS NOT A RUMOR OR CONFIRMED CONCEPT. SIMPLY A DREAM.

So I left Magic Kingdom last night as the park closed which is a nightmare as we all know and I began to think: what if Disney built another skyliner servicing Transportation and Ticket Center and the Magic Kingdom. While I know it hasn't gotten the best publicity at the moment with the crash, it is still an incredibly efficient system and could drastically alleviate the park close rush at Magic Kingdom. In addition, it could potentially connect Wilderness Lodge and maybe even Fort Wilderness (which would allow Disney to hike prices so they can see a monetary benefit. Sorry had to be said) If attendance keeps increasing, the monorail, ferry, the walkway and god knows how many buses cannot sustain the crowds. I don't even think you can argue that they're sustaining them right now unless you measure sustenance by just the mere ability to get all the guests out regardless of how long it takes. I personally think a new skyliner would be the best way to go.View attachment 418856

Given the current redesign of the Magic Kingdom entrance, I presume that a station to the left of the monorail station would be a practical location. However I am skeptical of the ability to connect Wilderness Lodge due to the fact that it would need to pass over the monorail. But I'd like to think it's possible.

Any thoughts on this? And I repeat, I'm well aware Disney has not displayed any intention of building this but I think that this would be a massive help every night at Magic Kingdom's close.
And I also know there has been rumors of the skyliner expanding but I don't think Magic Kingdom has been mentioned. I've mainly heard about Typoon Lagoon, Coronado Springs and Disney Springs.
I believe the point of the skyliner has been to provide moderate resorts that were not considered to be convenient to the parks a way to make them more convenient and therefore boost their reservations. Wilderness Lodge and the other Deluxe resorts have never really had any real problems with connecting to the MK. The only Deluxe that is really outside is Animal Kingdom but then Animal Kingdom gets their own buses and isn't that difficult to access. The mad crush of people leaving could benefit with something like a skyliner connecting the gate to the TC, but that for the majority of the day it wouldn't be needed so there is little chance they will ever do it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
A short spur from between WL and Ft Wilderness to TTC would be feasible if you could transfer to monorail easily. Spur from TTC to MK would be almost entirely over water and I dont think Disney is going to risk that many people having to be evacuated by water protocol. Would take forever.

justintheharris

Original Poster
I believe the point of the skyliner has been to provide moderate resorts that were not considered to be convenient to the parks a way to make them more convenient and therefore boost their reservations. Wilderness Lodge and the other Deluxe resorts have never really had any real problems with connecting to the MK. The only Deluxe that is really outside is Animal Kingdom but then Animal Kingdom gets their own buses and isn't that difficult to access. The mad crush of people leaving could benefit with something like a skyliner connecting the gate to the TC, but that for the majority of the day it wouldn't be needed so there is little chance they will ever do it.
Well having said that, the skyliner is going to have hours where it transports very little people between the resorts, Epcot and Hollywood Studios. And you're also correct that Disney is primarily concerned with connecting to resorts and charging more boosting the value of the resorts. However, having said all that, the situation at park close for Magic Kingdom is getting ridiculous and while the walk way will help, we can't reasonably expect a significant portion of the crowds to walk over a mile to their car. They're going to need another solution. More buses isn't helping very much. The skyliner for now seems to be the most appropriate from my view.

justintheharris

Original Poster
A short spur from between WL and Ft Wilderness to TTC would be feasible if you could transfer to monorail easily. Spur from TTC to MK would be almost entirely over water and I dont think Disney is going to risk that many people having to be evacuated by water protocol. Would take forever.
I must say I never considered evacuations. Is there potentially a land route it could follow? It might seem silly but perhaps follow the monorail lines? Head towards the Contemporary and then either head towards the Magic Kingdom monorail station (which would still have a small portion over water but MUCH better than the near entirety of it) OR they could just drop guests off by the Magic Kingdom bus terminal.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I must say I never considered evacuations. Is there potentially a land route it could follow? It might seem silly but perhaps follow the monorail lines? Head towards the Contemporary and then either head towards the Magic Kingdom monorail station (which would still have a small portion over water but MUCH better than the near entirety of it) OR they could just drop guests off by the Magic Kingdom bus terminal.
It would then be pretty much running the monorail route and wouldnt add any value. It would likely be cheaper to run an additional train on the rail.

justintheharris

Original Poster
It would then be pretty much running the monorail route and wouldnt add any value. It would likely be cheaper to run an additional train on the rail.
Capacity. A skyliner system would add so much more capacity rather than just an additional monorail. Plus, monorails already run at maximum capacity at that hour. Or at least they should. The other advantage of the skyliner is that it loads constantly rather than having to wait for a monorail to show at the station. I know generally it only takes 60 seconds to have the next monorail pull up but that's 60 seconds of a line not moving.

thomas998

Well having said that, the skyliner is going to have hours where it transports very little people between the resorts, Epcot and Hollywood Studios. And you're also correct that Disney is primarily concerned with connecting to resorts and charging more boosting the value of the resorts. However, having said all that, the situation at park close for Magic Kingdom is getting ridiculous and while the walk way will help, we can't reasonably expect a significant portion of the crowds to walk over a mile to their car. They're going to need another solution. More buses isn't helping very much. The skyliner for now seems to be the most appropriate from my view.
What walk way are you talking about? You can walk to the Contemporary from MK but that's it. You can't get to the TC from MK by walking unless they've opened up something I never heard about.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
What walk way are you talking about? You can walk to the Contemporary from MK but that's it. You can't get to the TC from MK by walking unless they've opened up something I never heard about.
The only new walkway that I'm aware of, is the one being constructed to connect Grand Floridian to MK. I'm not sure if that's the one @justintheharris is referring to? 🤷‍♀️

justintheharris

Original Poster
The only new walkway that I'm aware of, is the one being constructed to connect Grand Floridian to MK. I'm not sure if that's the one @justintheharris is referring to? 🤷‍♀️

The walkway that is being constructed to connect the Grand Floridian will also effectively connect it to the TTC as you can walk to the Polynesian and then the TTC. It's not the most practical walkway but it is indeed a foot path to the TTC

Mickey5150

If they want to boose capacity to the TTC then they should add another ferry. They should also rework the path from the Poly to the TTC and add a path that goes along the water directly to the ferry dock. With the addition of the path to the GF this should alleviate most of the issues.

Thebolt

I think they should be considering moving the TTC south into the Alladin lot, and integrating it all into a 2 or 3 storey parking lot.

It would mean a little new resort loop track, and moving the ferry dock a little South; but that lake-side area is all prime real estate for new resorts and DVC.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
UPDATED LIST

What's the next big step in transportation? More gondolas or another system (and what will the nature of that system be)?
More Gondolas, but most likely not until 2024 or beyond.

What's the theme of the next "monorail resort"?
Not one on the horizon for many years, budget is going to Grand Floridian's refurb.

When will it break ground? Is it going between GF and MK, or, between Contemporary and TTA?
Most likely 2026. Between MK and GF as the ground isnt stable between Contempo and TTC.

Who knows? Maybe you'll get your SkyLiner route :D I like it!

I think the new wave of DVC resorts like Riviera, Reflections, etc might be the beginning of Skyliner DVC group.

justintheharris

Original Poster
If they want to boose capacity to the TTC then they should add another ferry. They should also rework the path from the Poly to the TTC and add a path that goes along the water directly to the ferry dock. With the addition of the path to the GF this should alleviate most of the issues.
One more ferry or one more monorail is not enough.

DisneyFreak

You could shorten the route if you built the MK station south of the bus stations instead of to the west of the monorail station. The route would then also be over very little water.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom