Thoughts from my trip

Rayray

Original Poster
Well, I went to DLR for a day yesterday and had a great time.

-Wait times were really good. With the exception of the subs, everything was under an hour.

-I got to ride all of the E-tickets (or what i consider to be etickects) with the exception of the subs and Splash mountain.

-California Adventure is a joke. This was my first visit to that park, and I could not believe how bad it was. I found the Condor Flats and the Hollywood Backlot to be more than acceptable, but the Paradise Pier is like a cheap county fair. And what's the deal with the wierd music on California Screamin'. Terrible terrible terible

-Tower of Terror was good but not as good as WDW's version.

-I loved DL's version of pirates. It is as though WDW's starts in the middle of the ride.

-Space mountain is better than WDW's. So is DL's firework show.

-Altogether, I prefer Florida because of its larger size and ability to isolate the audience in theming, but DL is definately an awesome place to visit.

-CM's led us back stage after the fireworks to get us out of the park quicker. I could not believe it. We walked through unthemed maintenance area, by a stinking dumpster, etc. BAD SHOW! It would be better if exiting took five minutes longer than using this cheap trick that goes against all that the Disney experience stands for. Moves like that used to get people fired.

-All in all, it was cool to see how this vision of a park became what it is. Even more amazing it realizing how much of a larger scale Walt envisioned for his Florida park.

Nicole220

I'm glad you had a great time. I'm amazed that everything was under an hour! You must be luckier than I am. When I go in the summer, it's insane.

I'm sorry you thought DCA was a joke. Give it some time and it'll hopefully be better...that is, if they get around to helping it out.

Disneyfalcon

I personally love California Adventure. The pier area is meant to be themed like a California pier i.e. the Santa Monica pier. I think they did a great job of capturing that feeling.

The wierd rock music (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) on Screamin is for the "Rocking Both Parks" promotion. It should be temporary.

Glad you had fun though!

Nicole220

I personally love California Adventure. The pier area is meant to be themed like a California pier i.e. the Santa Monica pier. I think they did a great job of capturing that feeling.

The wierd rock music (Red Hot Chilli Peppers) on Screamin is for the "Rocking Both Parks" promotion. It should be temporary.

Glad you had fun though!
The Rockin' promotion ended in April, I believe. I think he was talking about the pier/carnival type music.

Disneyfalcon

The Rockin' promotion ended in April, I believe. I think he was talking about the pier/carnival type music.

Oh thanks Nicole I didn't know that. I guess April was the last time I went, sad to say! I was a little suprised it was still going.

I'm glad it's done. I LOVE space mountain but I like it better without the Chilli Peppers and with the lights fully out.:)

Nicole220

Oh thanks Nicole I didn't know that. I guess April was the last time I went, sad to say! I was a little suprised it was still going.

I'm glad it's done. I LOVE space mountain but I like it better without the Chilli Peppers and with the lights fully out.:)
I'm glad it's done as well. The music was fine since I like them, but the lights really bugged me! I felt like I was on WDW's Space. :lol:

Sorry for the thread drift...I have a few questions about going backstage. First- Why did they take you all backstage? I've been when it's very crowded and have never seen that. From what you said about the wait times, it sounded like it wasn't crowded enough to take you back there. Second- Why is it bad show if the backstage area isn't meant for the guests eyes? I know they sometimes let people back there to help the crowds, but guests aren't back there 24/7, so why would it need to be themed? Oh, and all dumpsters smell...:lol:

Rayray

Original Poster
I'm glad it's done as well. The music was fine since I like them, but the lights really bugged me! I felt like I was on WDW's Space. :lol:

Sorry for the thread drift...I have a few questions about going backstage. First- Why did they take you all backstage? I've been when it's very crowded and have never seen that. From what you said about the wait times, it sounded like it wasn't crowded enough to take you back there. Second- Why is it bad show if the backstage area isn't meant for the guests eyes? I know they sometimes let people back there to help the crowds, but guests aren't back there 24/7, so why would it need to be themed? Oh, and all dumpsters smell...:lol:

Well, it was very crowded in my vicinity (around the hub) after the fireworks show. Cast members directed us away from Refreshment Corner and toward the alley between Jungle Cruise and Mainstreet. I couldn't tell you if this is done regularly or if it was just on a whim, because this was only my second visit to DL.

In my opinion, if any part of an area is to be viewed by a guest, it should fit whatever theme is in that vicinity. My point is that the area is backstage for a reason - backstage is not meant for the public eye at all. I feel that the move was bad show because CM's thought it was okay to expose the maintenance side of DL, walking guests past kitchens, employee areas, and garbage. (Walt himself noted that his parks need to be clean, after his wife commented on how dirty most public attractions are. I don't think Walt intended for visitor to walk past dumpsters, regardless of how they smell.)

That is why I felt walking backstage was an example of bad show.

Darthfinkles

Well, I went to DLR for a day yesterday and had a great time.

-Wait times were really good. With the exception of the subs, everything was under an hour.

-I got to ride all of the E-tickets (or what i consider to be etickects) with the exception of the subs and Splash mountain.

-California Adventure is a joke. This was my first visit to that park, and I could not believe how bad it was. I found the Condor Flats and the Hollywood Backlot to be more than acceptable, but the Paradise Pier is like a cheap county fair. And what's the deal with the wierd music on California Screamin'. Terrible terrible terible

-Tower of Terror was good but not as good as WDW's version.

-I loved DL's version of pirates. It is as though WDW's starts in the middle of the ride.

-Space mountain is better than WDW's. So is DL's firework show.

-Altogether, I prefer Florida because of its larger size and ability to isolate the audience in theming, but DL is definately an awesome place to visit.

-CM's led us back stage after the fireworks to get us out of the park quicker. I could not believe it. We walked through unthemed maintenance area, by a stinking dumpster, etc. BAD SHOW! It would be better if exiting took five minutes longer than using this cheap trick that goes against all that the Disney experience stands for. Moves like that used to get people fired.

-All in all, it was cool to see how this vision of a park became what it is. Even more amazing it realizing how much of a larger scale Walt envisioned for his Florida park.

I recently visited disneyland for the first time since 1984 a month ago. I enjoyed my time a great deal and I have to disagree with everyting you said about California Adventure. I was pleasently surprised with what they had considering most people rip on it. I thought Paradise Pier was very cool and I also enjoyed the music on California Screamin'. ToT was different but still fun. Soarin' is awesome and Grizzly Rapids is the best water ride. I do agree with your comments on Disneyland though. Pirates and Space Mountain are awesome here.

kubfish

:) Everyone has their own tastes, I love California Screamin and

That is what they want you to see as the theme of Paradise Pier; when you go up the way in California and hit the Santa Cruz, Monterey and towns like that, they have these type of parks along the piers. I actually enjoyed the theme as it matched what is here in our state.

Although I was not that impressed with CAD either but its fun for a 1/2 3/4 day.

Did you go on the HM? What did you think of that compared to WDW?
What fireworks show do they have now? Is it still dreams come true?

Rayray

Original Poster
:) Everyone has their own tastes, I love California Screamin and

That is what they want you to see as the theme of Paradise Pier; when you go up the way in California and hit the Santa Cruz, Monterey and towns like that, they have these type of parks along the piers. I actually enjoyed the theme as it matched what is here in our state.

Although I was not that impressed with CAD either but its fun for a 1/2 3/4 day.

Did you go on the HM? What did you think of that compared to WDW?
What fireworks show do they have now? Is it still dreams come true?

Yeah, I went on HM. I didn't find it much different from the one in Florida, accept for the different architechture. I prefer the Southern Mansion Style a little more, but other than a few differences on the ride (like the attic scene) I found the rides very similar.

And yes, Remember... Dreams Come True is still the fireworks show. I found it superior to Wishes (not sure if it is better than Illuminations).

BTW, does anyone ever notice the show lighting that pops up over the roofs on Main Street, USA at night. I wondered how the lighting is hidden better at WDW.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom