Those that have taken or will take babies under 1 yr of age

ErickainPA

We leave in 18 days with our (at that time) 7 month old son. We are debating bringing his infant car seat, he will be a lap baby on the plane, although there is always a chance there is a spare seat, but you have to lug it and take it through security (we have already traveled by plane when DS was 3 months old, we used the carseat frame stroller instead of the travel system, but we are taking his big stroller that came with the travel system so he can recline or sit up). I told hubby not sure we will need to bother with the seat, as in the parks he will be in his own stroller that reclines. He said well maybe for the buses.

So ? is have any of you used them on the DME and/or Disney transportation?

Thanks

mousebymarriage

Took both of my kids when they were 6 months old (DD now 9, DS now5) we did bring a car seat because, neither child was a lap child on the plane. I just found it easier and more comfortable for all if the baby was in the seat on the plane. Both of my kids are great airplane kids, even as infants they slept the entire time. We also used the car seat when we rented a car when we got to Orlando airport (we rented a car because my family lives on the west coast of Fla and we always spent a few days there). As far as Disney buses, a car seat will not work.

Upvote 0
I am very interested in hearing what you think about using the "big travel system stroller." We will be taking our son in Sept who will be 14 months at the time and have debated about taking his "big" stroller vs getting a more compact one for the trip. I have seen people *wrestling* the big strollers onto the crowded buses and the end of a long day at the parks and this does not look fun to me. We are strongly considering getting one of the more midsized strollers that folds up much more compactly so it would be more manageble on the bus. Looking forward to your report.

A few points to consider,

1) umbrella strollers don't recline so it will be more difficult to get your little one to take a nap.

2) big stollers have the advantage of allowing you to put the diaper bag and other items under it thus freeing up your arms, umbrella strollers only allow you to pile things on tothe hanldes.

3) if the person pushing the stroller is tall, umbrella strollers will give you a back ache after a full day of pushing. My wife is short enough that she can use the umbrella with no problem but because I'm too tall I have to stoop over to push the thing which ends up causing my back to ache after a few hours.

Yes the big strollers are a bit of a pain, but having used big ones, umbrellas and the park rental units, I would recommend the big ones. You only have the extra hassle for a couple of times a day going to or from the park but the advantages in storage alone once you are there make up for it.

Upvote 0

PintoColvig

We've taken two infants to WDW and will be taking our third to DL this summer. Take the bigger stroller. Trust me. It is a pain on Disney Transportation but worth the hastle. The baby seat is an option for us but the stroller is a necessity. Due to the larger storage space, we can take everything that we need and then some. We needed four changes of clothes one day and had them on hand. We also had a ready made bed for nap times. Take the bigger stroller. Trust me.

Upvote 0

ErickainPA

Original Poster
Thanks Jesse and Dana. Hard to believe this is pregnancy 3 in 4 yrs. Rebekah's 2 yr is coming up soon (can't believe she has been gone that long), Easton turns 1 in Sept and the new baby early November most likely.

Upvote 0

tikiman

My wife uses this to carry the car seat in the airport.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Cheeky-Monkey-Pac-Back.pro

We don’t put our son in our lap for safety reasons. I have been on 3 flights with turbulence that has put adults into the ceiling so there is no amount of money that will keep me from putting my child in a seat. Also we fly from the west coast so there is no way we would think of keeping him in our lap anyway.

We are going to start checking the car seat (since we rent a car) and use the new airline approved toddler safety belt.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

We have taken our some to Disneyland at 6 months and to WDW at 22 months and both trips he loved.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

My wife uses this to carry the car seat in the airport.

http://www.elitecarseats.com/Cheeky-Monkey-Pac-Back.pro

We don’t put our son in our lap for safety reasons. I have been on 3 flights with turbulence that has put adults into the ceiling so there is no amount of money that will keep me from putting my child in a seat. Also we fly from the west coast so there is no way we would think of keeping him in our lap anyway.

We are going to start checking the car seat (since we rent a car) and use the new airline approved toddler safety belt.

http://www.kidsflysafe.com/

We have taken our some to Disneyland at 6 months and to WDW at 22 months and both trips he loved.

Thanks for posting it, what a great idea.

However the price WOW!!!!!! $75 for that. Really the materials must cost less then $5 per unit.

Considering most people would only get one or 2 uses out of it in the time their child needs it, that is a lot.

Better yet, if it is really safer the airlines should provide them (and maybe they will in the future.) After all they do provide extenders for larger guests. Or maybe you can "order one to use as part of your ticket for a minimal charge". The airlines would be to provide better safety for their customers and it wouldn't cost them as much as the parent.

Still a good idea. Maybe when it catches on the price will go done.

So anyone know an airline executives we can make this suggestion too????:lol:
:lookaroun

Upvote 0

maggiegrace1

Thanks Jesse and Dana. Hard to believe this is pregnancy 3 in 4 yrs. Rebekah's 2 yr is coming up soon (can't believe she has been gone that long), Easton turns 1 in Sept and the new baby early November most likely.
AWW...{{HUGS}}

Well she is watching over you and Easton and will also be watching over the new baby...:)

Upvote 0

elabron

We took my son when he was 11mos. and will be taking my daughter, who will be 11mos. in October.

My wife always wants to drive because she thinks it's not safe to have the kids on a bus with no car seat......hate to agree, but in today's world, I'd say she's right.

Upvote 0
We took my son when he was 11mos. and will be taking my daughter, who will be 11mos. in October.

My wife always wants to drive because she thinks it's not safe to have the kids on a bus with no car seat......hate to agree, but in today's world, I'd say she's right.

I doubt there is any real danger from a bus crash, the real danger when taking tiny ones on public transport of any kind are the germs spewing from people when they cough and leave their mouths uncovered.

Upvote 0

elabron

I doubt there is any real danger from a bus crash, the real danger when taking tiny ones on public transport of any kind are the germs spewing from people when they cough and leave their mouths uncovered.

Better safe than sorry......at the risk of sounding morbid, the poor kids on that bus crash in Atlanta a few weeks ago probably didn't think they were in any real danger either.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

I've always questioned the safety of the busses when they're crammed as full as they always are at WDW. :shrug:

I don't really question the safety of the busses except when they are really full like they often are. Then when there is people with small kids left standing, or even worse a person standing who is holding a small child. Well that just gets me pretty mad.

This past trip was just DH and I. No kids. We both planned to give up our set every time if anyone who might of needed it more then us was standing.

We never had too, we were very lucky that way. It helped that night time trips home were either walking from Epcot to BWV or boat. Even on the boat though everyone ended up getting a seat or looked comfortable standing.

My friends son did fall on a bus once when it came to a stop fast (a child ran in front of it, the bus stopped in time.) Really that was our fault though for not supervising him enough and insisting he was fully seated at all time. We didn't make that mistake again. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

Boray

As far as a stroller, I would opt for a larger system stroller, even though they are difficult to fold, in order to have a reclining position for your baby. We took our then 15 month old in Oct of 2003 and I really fought against taking something so large, but I was SO greatful to have it! She slept very well and wasn't cranky at all the entire trip. Also, we could identify it easily among all of the other strollers. We were able to push her through the airport in it, and strap a few other bags to it. We took it to the entrance to the plane and they checked it there for us and had it waiting for us when we exited the plane. Very nice to not have to carry her through the airport.

In subsequent visits, we replaced the large stroller with a Combi brand stroller (my husband picked it up at a garage sale, so I don't know the model number.) It reclines, has a canopy over it for the sun, a cargo net below and it folds almost as small as an umbrella stroller. It folds in an odd way, but it is quite compact. The gentleman selling it told my husband that they bought that particular stroller because it folded up to fit in the overhead compartment on an airplane. It has been to Disney with us the past 2 years.

You will not be sorry to have a reclining stroller, regardless of how awkward it might be on a bus. (Besides, you're only on the bus for a short time, you're in the parks all day!!!)

Good luck and have fun!!!:wave:

Upvote 0

inafog

Hi!

Last year our kids were 7, 4 and 6 weeks. The baby mostly stayed in the sling, but I brought the big stroller so she could nap in it. Also, the 4-year-old could ride in it. We also brought an umbrella stroller which we carried in the bottom of the big stroller in case we needed it. Although I should point out it's hard to push an umbrella stroller if you are a) tall (I'm 5'9") and b) wearing a sling, since you need two hands free for the umbrella.

This year I'm bringing a front pack for the baby as well as the medium-sized stroller and the umbrella stroller. I'll be the one with the 20 pound one-year-old on spring break...

Upvote 0

disneygoer2000

we went down in december 06 and had our 18mo nephew, we drove down so of course he had his seat. On the buses at disney he sat on our laps. that is probably the only place that lets children ride without seats. we had a wonderful time hope you do too.

Upvote 0
Better safe than sorry......at the risk of sounding morbid, the poor kids on that bus crash in Atlanta a few weeks ago probably didn't think they were in any real danger either.

I don't think I recall the disney buses having to go over any big overpasses... but if you're feeling leary of them just remember to sit in the back, the ones that got the worst of it in Atlanta were the one nearest the front.

Upvote 0

Glasgow

That accident was extremely sad -- I drive under (and over) that overpass every day so it's very sobering.

I don't think that overpasses are the major danger at WDW. Pedestrians and other vehicles are the major concern. With the busses fully loaded at the end of the day, this seems to be a potentially dangerous situation. Based on the fact that the Disney parks go to extreme lengths to keep people out of harms way, I'm really surprised that they allow people to stand in the aisle of a bus while it is in motion.

Upvote 0
That accident was extremely sad -- I drive under (and over) that overpass every day so it's very sobering.

I don't think that overpasses are the major danger at WDW. Pedestrians and other vehicles are the major concern. With the busses fully loaded at the end of the day, this seems to be a potentially dangerous situation. Based on the fact that the Disney parks go to extreme lengths to keep people out of harms way, I'm really surprised that they allow people to stand in the aisle of a bus while it is in motion.

Having been dumb enough to use their buses on one trip, I recall waiting almost an hour to get on one (since we stayed till closing) and if they had not been cramming them full with people standing I'm quite certain we would have been waiting more than two hours to get on one. The reason they allow it is that they don't have enough buses to adequately service all the guests at peak times such as park closings on a peak day.

Yes it would be nice if they had twice as many buses as they currently have, and I'm sure the wait times would be cut, but I suspect they would raise the prices more than guest would like to offset those costs. So if your unfortunate enough to get trapped at a peak time on a bus that has passengers standing and squished together, look on the bright side. If there is a wreck you don't have to worry about being thrown around in the bus, and if you make sure to stand behind the overweight folks they might provide a pretty good cushion for the impact.:D

Upvote 0

Gagesmom314

Having been dumb enough to use their buses on one trip, I recall waiting almost an hour to get on one (since we stayed till closing) and if they had not been cramming them full with people standing I'm quite certain we would have been waiting more than two hours to get on one. The reason they allow it is that they don't have enough buses to adequately service all the guests at peak times such as park closings on a peak day.

Yes it would be nice if they had twice as many buses as they currently have, and I'm sure the wait times would be cut, but I suspect they would raise the prices more than guest would like to offset those costs. So if your unfortunate enough to get trapped at a peak time on a bus that has passengers standing and squished together, look on the bright side. If there is a wreck you don't have to worry about being thrown around in the bus, and if you make sure to stand behind the overweight folks they might provide a pretty good cushion for the impact.:D

Wow...you are rude.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom