Thor: Ragnarok

Pixieish

Disney made the best possible decision with Marvel - they handed the reins to a current employee who had dreamed of making Marvel movies basically his entire life. If I could remember where I read this, I would direct you to the article...the dude who got the job was basically freaking out with excitement. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
The movie is fantastic. If only it didn't need some more of the MCU movies to get many of the joke references it would be the perfect 'intro' movie for people to start liking the MCU movies.

And the music from the composer is great. The track played at the start of the credits would be PHENOMENAL for EPCOT background music back when future world was about 80s optimism.

Listen to the track the Planet Sakaar track and "No One Escapes"... it's totally takes you back to Tomorrowland and EPCOT memories of Disney's look to the future... (its on spotify/etc)

Some of it's like if Daft Punk and Devo had a baby... love it.

Last edited:

Pixieish

The movie is fantastic. If only it didn't need some more of the MCU movies to get many of the joke references it would be the perfect 'intro' movie for people to start liking the MCU movies.

And the music from the composer is great. The track played at the start of the credits would be PHENOMENAL for EPCOT background music back when future world was about 80s optimism.

Listen to the track "No One Escapes"... it's totally takes you back to Tomorrowland and EPCOT memories of Disney's look to the future... And the Planet Sakaar track from about 1:10 in... (its on spotify/etc)

Some of it's like if Daft Punk and Devo had a baby... love it.
You're killing me, Smalls!!!

Princess Leia

I just saw it with a friend, and we both loved it.

A few non-spoilerific thoughts:
  • This is the first time Anthony Hopkins looked like he was happy to be in a Thor movie
  • Goldblum was an absolute ham and I loved it.
  • Cate was a great villainess, probably one of Marvel’s best on film so far
  • I did not miss Jane. Sorry Natalie, but I don’t hate that you left the Marvel movies
  • Amazing soundtrack
  • There were actual consequences?! In a pretty lighthearted Marvel movie?! That’s practically a first. Characters seem to have always come back from the dead, but not this time.
  • Hulk looked good
  • Someone please teach Benedict Cumberbatch how to speak with a New England accent. Like in his solo outing, his voice was all over the place.
There was a final thought but I completely just blanked on it since I was annoyed with whatever was coming out of Cumberbatch’s mouth...

Princess Leia

Okay I just remembered.

Let me preface this with this statement: I love Karl Urban, this has nothing to do with him.

Anyways, there was no way that the crew and cast had any idea that a mass shooting was going to happen in Texas on Sunday. However, the joke about Skurge getting the guns in Texas really fell flat for my theater.

Princess Leia

Also how has no one brought this up:
2E40F608-DD8D-40EA-B7F8-059A54F941FB.jpeg

2351metalcloud

The planet called Sakar seems like something Disney could make to be similar to Galaxy's Edge in a theme park. The fact that one of the characters said that 'time works funny here' or something similar to that could allow for a wide range of characters that could appear in a theme park that guests are supposed to imagine is part of Sakar. You could even have characters that were in the movies and whose death might have been questionable to appear there. They could also live there for a long time regardless of when they arrived. For example, we don't seem to explicitly see Red Skull die in The First Avenger for example, but I don't know if Disney would want him to be in a theme park due to him being associated with Germany in WW2 at least at some point. Maybe he could have been transported somewhere into space or more specifically to Sakar seeing as how many wormholes-like things there are there. I'm not sure how whatever those portals in the sky of the planet are supposed to work in the MCU, but maybe it's very likely beings will end up at Sakar for some reason when they are traveling with wormholes, whatever Thor has used to go between planets, or similar transportation methods. Maybe if time works in really strange ways there, people can time travel from the future and/or the past and end up coming through one or more of those portals.

erasure fan1

Just saw it this morning and I absolutely loved it. I was worried about how people thought it was too jokey but I didn't think it was at all. I thought it all really worked. When it needed to be serious it was. With how everyone was talking, I was expecting when Hulk sat down with the towel on he was going to let one rip. For me, it was top 5 of the marvel movies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thor's still in some theaters making a quarter to a third of a million dollars a day. It made another million in foreign markets the previous weekend.

It has surpassed the first Guardians movie in Box Office and is #7 in Box Office amongst the MCU movies...

upload_2017-12-18_23-27-20.png

DonaldDoleWhip

Just caught Ragnarok tonight (figured it would be a good lead-in to my second Infinity War screening). Great movie!

Loved the crew of 'Revengers' and our villain, but the side characters were great too. Korg cracked me up almost every time he spoke, with the contrast between his bouldering physique and mild nature.

The levity and quirkiness really carried it for me, so I'm glad it was such a success compared to its darker predecessors.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom