This message board is about to become very interesting...

jedimaster1227

dizneycrazy09 said:
thanks a lot for the info. but how about fire mountain I think was the name they mentioned? Never heard that one before.

No problem! :wave: This project was going to be huge-like Everest huge! Originally, the plan was for a new mountain to go into Animal Kingdom's new Beastly Kingdom. When B.K. was scraped, the project was put under the bed for a few years. Then, when Disney admin. decided to close 20K permanently, they figured that they could put a new attraction, bigger and more intense in its place. Now here was the deal, they were looking for a mountain to insert into Fantasyland, but there was a rival attraction fighting for Fire Mountain's spot. During the Imagineering process of the "New Mountain for AK" (B.E.-Before Everest), Eisner decided to have two Imagineer teams work on two different mountain ideas. One was Fire Mountain, a fast paced roller coaster with lava and a finish plunging into and/or out of a volcano. This was set to be huge and well themed, like at Disneysea. The other candidate was Bald Mountain, the flume style attraction themed to Disney Villains. This ride would feature a huge drop, larger than Splash Mountains after meeting the villians all together. Eisner had a hard time deciding, and he almost did come to a decision, but the times took its toll on Disney as Eurodisney began to fail. Eisner pulled back his money out of the projects and shoved them in a box, never to be seen again. Now there is still hope, but it is blind hope. Pooh's Playplace seems to be a placeholder until Disney gives the greenlight for something bigger and better. Just to let you know, you will see rumors of Fire Mountain being put into MK very soon, because once Epcot's 25th is over, MK gets all of the attention again. Also, an interesting tidbit, Eisner liked the ideas of Bald Mountain and Fire Mountain so much, that he was actually thinking of greenlighting them and putting them in the Disney 5th gate- (Not saying there is or ever will be one) but they would be the focal points of the park or icons as they would fit perfectly into the new Villain Theme 5th Gate.

I know it is a sin on this forum to talk about these subjects, but let me let you know that I am informing our friend here. I don't believe that there will ever be a 5th gate, let alone a villain themed 5th gate. :D

jackfrost

imagineer boy said:
Does this mean that Disney can finally regain talks with Tim Burton, and Steven Spielburg as well? I sure hope so.

Spielburg already seemed like he jumped ship to Universal with Islands of Adventure, so my guess is that he won't be back but you never know I guess.

peter11435 said:
The photos were posted online somehwere (possibly mouseplanet), unfortuanatly I can't seem to find them now. I know how different the company was then, my point was simply that even Walt built lightly themed playgrounds.

According to "Disneyland:Then, Now, and Forever", a pretty cheap-looking children's playground was indeed to be found, albeit not officially in Disneyland itself. Rather, an area dubbed "Holidayland" was constructed in the late 50's roughly where the show buildings of Pirates and Haunted Mansion now reside. It was separately gated and was intended for company picnics, family reunions. etc. There are 2 accompanying pics of the playground...

peter11435

Mansionfan said:
According to "Disneyland:Then, Now, and Forever", a pretty cheap-looking children's playground was indeed to be found, albeit not officially in Disneyland itself. Rather, an area dubbed "Holidayland" was constructed in the late 50's roughly where the show buildings of Pirates and Haunted Mansion now reside. It was separately gated and was intended for company picnics, family reunions. etc. There are 2 accompanying pics of the playground...
Maybe that is what I had seen.

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
I think when Fire Mountain eventually does get greenlit it will probably be a cross between the original Fire Mountain concept and TDS's Journey to the Center of the Earth. It will probably be a thrilling EMV style ride rather then a big roller coaster.

jackfrost

jedimaster1227 said:
How is Spielburg on the IOA bandwagon?

Spielburg was a creative consultant for the park, and helped out a lot if I recall with the Jurassic Park Island. He also spoke at the opening day ceremony back in 1999. Now I know this doesn't mean its impossible for him to do something at Disney because he's not under contract or anything like that, but my guess is it probably won't happen.

wannab@dis

jackfrost said:
Spielburg was a creative consultant for the park, and helped out a lot if I recall with the Jurassic Park Island. He also spoke at the opening day ceremony back in 1999. Now I know this doesn't mean its impossible for him to do something at Disney because he's not under contract or anything like that, but my guess is it probably won't happen.

EDIT - major brain malfunction... disregard. :lol:

peter11435

wannab@dis said:
He made comments last summer concerning updating Star Tours, so I would assume he's still open to working with Disney.
Speilburg has nothing to do with Star Wars. I think you are confusing him with George Lucas.

2gether

Proud father...

As a proud father of a beautiful little girl, I am not afraid to say I love many of the carnival rides, particularly the carousel and dumbo in fantasyland, and Alladin in Adventureland. And I am very fond of Pooh's Playground....DD spent more than an hour in there and it was among the best times she had at WDW. We had to practically drag her out to get her on the Pooh ride! Plus, some of the dark rides were just too scary for her.

I would have been one of you when I was single, but there are two ways to look at this:
1. Disney has got to bring in families to make money , and for some families that means little kids. Consequently, they have to keep the little ones happy in order to keep the parents sane. Adding the small "rest area" playgrounds is a great idea.
2. I know we all want more inventive, heavily themed rides, but think about this: for every minute I spend playing in Pooh's playground with my little one, it is one less minute I am in line in front of you with a very unhappy 2 year old!

I do agree about Dinoland, though. Where did that idea come from?

Ghostbuster626

Original Poster
2gether said:
As a proud father of a beautiful little girl, I am not afraid to say I love many of the carnival rides, particularly the carousel and dumbo in fantasyland, and Alladin in Adventureland. And I am very fond of Pooh's Playground....DD spent more than an hour in there and it was among the best times she had at WDW. We had to practically drag her out to get her on the Pooh ride! Plus, some of the dark rides were just too scary for her.

I would have been one of you when I was single, but there are two ways to look at this:
1. Disney has got to bring in families to make money , and for some families that means little kids. Consequently, they have to keep the little ones happy in order to keep the parents sane. Adding the small "rest area" playgrounds is a great idea.
2. I know we all want more inventive, heavily themed rides, but think about this: for every minute I spend playing in Pooh's playground with my little one, it is one less minute I am in line in front of you with a very unhappy 2 year old!

I do agree about Dinoland, though. Where did that idea come from?

hmm. Well when I was a really little kid I would have rather gone on aride then enjoy "pooh's playground" my particular favorites as a young child were Jungle Cruise, peoplemover, dumo and pirates of the caribean. Sure some rides were scary but that was part of the fun. Kids dont want playgrounds..kids want fun imaginitive attractions. Besides...do you really want to pay $60+ to use a playground? No one is saying they want extreme roller coasters...we just want quality attractions.

wannab@dis

Ghostbuster626 said:
hmm. Well when I was a really little kid I would have rather gone on aride then enjoy "pooh's playground" my particular favorites as a young child were Jungle Cruise, peoplemover, dumo and pirates of the caribean. Sure some rides were scary but that was part of the fun. Kids dont want playgrounds..kids want fun imaginitive attractions. Besides...do you really want to pay $60+ to use a playground? No one is saying they want extreme roller coasters...we just want quality attractions.
When you have kids, get back with us... :rolleyes:

The playground will be a favorite, along with the Carousel and spinners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom