This message board is about to become very interesting...

Epcot82Guy

This is me entirely thinking outloud here, but I wonder if the Pixar deal could spill over into the attractions in a different way perhaps than being discussed. I have not ridden M:S, but I have heard that the video is to be desired. So... I wonder if Pixar could put a little effort to make the CGI better. Granted, they tend to do animation-oriented CGI, but I will guarantee you they have some pretty hefty abilities in the realism dept. too.

jedimaster1227

You are actually right, M:S was meant to tie into Buena Vista Films' (Disney owned) Mission to Mars. Note that the spinning wheel in the queue was used in the film and the ship shown in the ride commercial and in the queue was used in the film too.

In the end, the movie flopped and Disney said "Screw it!" But, you will notice that they did enlist the aid of Gary Sinese's acting for the M:S film sequences. Oddly enough, he also starred in Mission to Mars! What a coincidence...:eek:

imagineer boy

jedimaster1227 said:
That is definitely right, and because of Iger's closeness with Lucas, things should work out in our favor!:D

Does this mean that Disney can finally regain talks with Tim Burton, and Steven Spielburg as well? I sure hope so.

This whole Pixar deal is really paying off. No more dark days for Disney.

TP2000

I assume some of us have read Jim Hill's story today about last week's Lasseter visit to Glendale and Burbank? I take everything Hill says with a big grain of salt, but this trip report on Lasseter's latest visit to Animation and WDI headquarters seemed rather reasonable on Hill's part.

And for those East Coasters who don't know the backstory to John Lasseter, who is suddenly a very important figure for the entire DisCo, here's his deal;

As a college kid he worked at Disneyland as an Attractions Host, mainly on the Jungle Cruise. He visits Disneyland regularly with his children, and I've seen him there twice now. He had a birthday party at Disneyland last year, and they let him take a boat around on the Jungle Cruise so he could do his old spiel for his friends and party guests. He lives up in NorCal, has a winery in Sonoma, and obviously Pixar is headquartered in Emeryville across the bay from the Apple headquarters and his boss Steve Jobs, but he visits SoCal very regularly. And Disneyland is usually on the list of places to see when he is in SoCal, especially when his children are with him.

This is the first big topic I've seen on these boards about Lasseter, his recent statements made at WDI, and what it all means for the Parks. The west coast Disney fan websites are all abuzz about this big Lasseter news, but the east coast folks here don't seem to have really picked up on it yet. (You east coasters are still concerned about what the Yeti's name is and fascinating topics like the availability of day beds in Moderate Resorts. :lol: )

But this Lasseter news is huge, and your west coast Disney fan counterparts are going ga ga over it. Particularly because it likely means big changes for DCA in the near term. Wake up East Coasters! There's big news brewing for Parks and Resorts, and that includes WDW! :eek:

imagineer boy

Ghostbuster626 said:
Ok look here is a list of my problems with M:S :

1) Convoluted Story: We are supposed to believe that when we enter the ISTC we are 20 years in the future and we are hear to ride a simulator to see what it feels like to go into space. Let me ask you this...what the hell is the point of this sloppy (not to mention unnecessary) story? I mean why try to make a story when your just telling people up front your just gonna spin around in a simulator? It seems like they originally had a plan to tell a story with this ride but then the budget got slashed up (thanks eisner) and they just took the basic outline and just threw something together. I mean whats the point of those fake pictures on the wall in the hallway that say things like "first family in space" and stuff..it just draws a ??? in peoples heads and irritates me to no end. half a$$ story.

2) poor ride video: Then once you finally get on this much hyped attraction you'll notice how terribly fake the ride film actually looks. It looks like Pixar's rough CG tests from the early 90s or something. Hell my Playstation 2 can generate much more realistic looking footage in real time!

3) End seats: I dont know if they toned this down yet but as far as I know its extremly uncomfortable to sit at the end seats because thoes little a/c fans keep blowing in your face which gets annoying after five seconds.

4) Where is the interactivity?: One of the early hyped features of the ride was that the ride would feature interactivity to appeal to the "<a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=video%20game" onmouseover="window.status='video game'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">video game</a>" generation. Well obviously any true interactivity was slashed out of the budget because I dont really see how I interact with the ride other then pretending to be space ranger and pushing the flashing button when it tells me to. Also, let me say something..I am part of this "video game" generation and I will say the reason Disney isnt interesting to people of my generation isnt because of lack of interaction..ITS BECAUSE THE IMMERSION AND QUALITY OF THE ATTRACTIONS ISNT THERE! There is a reason why rides like Indiana Jones and Haunted Mansion are so popular while rides like Stitch arent. Anyway getting back to interactivity. Remember at the end of Horizons you could pick what video ending you wanted (majority rules of course)? That was real interactivity.

5) Totally overblown Hype: this pretty much speaks for itself but it really annoys me when Eisner goes around saying this is an "F-ticket!" ride and that its lightyears above any other attraction in existence. I think part of the reason I dont like the ride as much is because of people like Eisner overhyping a ride that has had its budget slashed in half (and then half again) and was poorly put together.

6) Ending? Im sorry but I dont consider hanging off a cliff and then a bunch of people poping up on the screen saying "congradulations welcome to mars!" an ending.

Now that I cant think of any complaints about the ride at the moment I will say what I like about the ride:

1) The Building: Its such a fantastic design and I love looking at it because everytime I do I notice some new feature on it.

2) Upgradability: I think this is the real key here. The fact that they can reporgram the ride and give it a new film. I know there is a rumor on screamscape that they are planing to give M:S a new mission every few years which I think is very exciting if it turns out to be true.

3) Technology: The technology used in the ride is great and really gives good g-force sensations. Its just too bad it doesnt have the video/story to make it a complete immersive experience.

Also keep in mind my attentions are not to attack or fight with anyone on the board. I totally respect everyones opinions however I wanted to explain why I feel M:S, while an alright ride, should not be considered a true "e-ticket" attraction.

I completely agree with everything you said there. Don't get me wrong, I like mission: space, but it definately could be alot better. The ending especially.

fkflintstone

Dinoland is primarily for kids .I didn't find it too exciting but my kids loved it.I dont know if people realize that parts of WDW are for kids!?!As far as new big e ticket rides goes the more the better for us adults,but they need to leave some of the more mundane rides for the little ones.

jedimaster1227

I agree on many aspects. I sincerely hope that Iger will ease sore relationships left over from the Eisner administration with Spielberg and Burton. We can only hope for Iger to be good at what he has done best so far- Make incredible deals and mend old broken relationships.

dizneycrazy09

I deffenitely think updates would be great for WDW. I just have a few questions. Being fairly young, I think I missed the whole Project :Gemini deal. What exactly was/is it? And fire mountain in Adventureland? Please enlighten me with yer infinite knowledge of Disney. Thanks! :wave:

Valawen9

matthope03 said:
Ok well first of all, Mission Space is not even close to being a carnival ride nor a kiddy ride or anything of the sort. I realize some people may not like it but it truely is a realistic feeling of take-off and all the other components of space travel with the buttons (which granted do not affect the ride but they had to design it that way). Mission Space is an amazing ride in many aspects. Moving on though, I somewhat agree with you when it comes to reevaluating what is on the shelves at WDI. You may see a couple of those rides begin to come to life in some form in the next couples years, but I would not bet on seeing most, only a handful. Lasseter will want to have some new rides with his "touch" sooner or later. That may mean adding some of his ideas to some of the rides already on the boards on designing complete new ones. However, I feel he will really like a couple and will want them in production immediately or as soon as possible.

Nothing against Mission Space, but to me it was like a high-tech version of the Gravitron at the county fair.

Connor002

Valawen9 said:
Nothing against Mission Space, but to me it was like a high-tech version of the Gravitron at the county fair.

Well, taken down to it's most basic level, they are of similar concept...

DisneyWales

It's not all rosy

Lassiter is a Creative counsultant, hes not in charge. Alot of the reason why rides and areas were not built was due to Budget cuts etc, Lassiter and WDI have very little control over the budget for attractions. That would be set and controlled by people much higher up. While i do think a corporate shake up will be a good thing as it will bring in fresh talent and a new culture of thinking. But I wouldn't get to excited about Lassiters involvement in WDI, its not like they have given him a blank cheque book and said to him go build.

Him looking at old WDI ideas could just be him catching up on past projects!!!!!

As for Mission: Space, all im going to say is be grateful it could have been worse. The story works, we travel to unusually places all over WDW, so why is it so wrong when MS does it.

Anyway heres hoping to a brighter tomorrow!:lol:

KevinPage

Not to rain on the parade but just because Lassetter is now in charge doesn't mean WDC magically has billions of more $$$$ to throw around on the parks.

Granted, this is great news that John is in charge. But the ink isn't even dry on the agreement and everyone expects 5 new E Tickets in every park.

YES Lassetter should have a TREMENDOUS positive effect, but I don't suddenly see the floodgates being opened without any restraint.

Time will tell, but at least we know the $$$ will be well spent this time around as opposed to 50% of the ride budget on marketing and decals for a monorail.

:D :D :D

jedimaster1227

dizneycrazy09 said:
I deffenitely think updates would be great for WDW. I just have a few questions. Being fairly young, I think I missed the whole Project :Gemini deal. What exactly was/is it? And fire mountain in Adventureland? Please enlighten me with yer infinite knowledge of Disney. Thanks! :wave:

As hard as it is to believe, Project Gemini is/was not that old. It was created about 5 years ago if I remember correctly. The plan was to find a way to bring back guests to Epcot after the Millenium Celebration ended. Gemini was a way to bring out the "Better" of future world in Disney's eyes. This plan mainly consisted of three different projects in two phases.

Phase 1:

Retheme Future World to be more Future Oriented

Insert Soarin' into The Land

Close Spaceship Earth- Gut it and redo the interior

Phase 2:

Add on a Rainforest Pavilion or coaster to The Land (Notice the pattern we are seeing with the land?)

Insert a new coaster- Timeracers into the SSE geosphere and carve tunnels in it to let the coaster exit the building and come back around.

Use old Global Neighborhood Network center to house entrance and exit for the ride.

peter11435

jedimaster1227 said:
As hard as it is to believe, Project Gemini is/was not that old. It was created about 5 years ago if I remember correctly. The plan was to find a way to bring back guests to Epcot after the Millenium Celebration ended. Gemini was a way to bring out the "Better" of future world in Disney's eyes. This plan mainly consisted of three different projects in two phases.

Phase 1:

Retheme Future World to be more Future Oriented

Insert Soarin' into The Land

Close Spaceship Earth- Gut it and redo the interior

Phase 2:

Add on a Rainforest Pavilion or coaster to The Land (Notice the pattern we are seeing with the land?)

Insert a new coaster- Timeracers into the SSE geosphere and carve tunnels in it to let the coaster exit the building and come back around.

Use old Global Neighborhood Network center to house entrance and exit for the ride.

Actually the Rainforest pavillion/coaster and the SSE coaster were never part of the plan. Those were strictly fan rumors never part of WDI plans. Also the plan was to make Future World less future oriented. Thats why it was to be renamed Discovery Island.

Tim G

KevinPage said:
Not to rain on the parade but just because Lassetter is now in charge doesn't mean WDC magically has billions of more $$$$ to throw around on the parks.

Granted, this is great news that John is in charge.
Marty Sklar is still in charge of Creative... :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom