This is VERY disappointing

That's a good question; Sears can only donate so much toward those lovely homes, so I would guess that with supplies alone they would have to sink a lot of $ into each project. Plus, the volunteers know going in that they will not be paid--I guess it's enough to know that you are doing something priceless for someone in your community who needs help. Yet, I'm sure you're right that the network is making $--big corporations are not completely altruistic, as we are all too aware! It seems like providing food for the volunteers would be a nice gesture.

BTW: this show is my new guilty pleasure, now that re-runs are on TV Land!

Goosebrent

The houses are NOT free. The houses are built in cooperation with Habitat for Humanity. The family must pay for the house, at least some of it. Granted it is considerably cheaper than what they would had to have paid to build it themselves. They mainly pay for the actual materials that are used to build the house. Other companies supply, usually for free, the furnishing and other things. They usually pay 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the finished home.

Not to mention the goodwill being spread. Regardless of how much the Disney company is taking in, they're strengthening communities all over the country. And how much more would it eventually cost the family (whatever costs they must pay) if ABC provided a FULL group of hired workers to build each home? I'm sure it would be passed on to the family somehow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom