This is terrible! (Thread orginally posted 9/11/2001)

Flugell

21 years have passed. Lifetimes for many, yet it still feels as raw as the day it happened.
Sitting here in the U.K. proudly wearing my Wall Street Bulls T shirt purchased from the fire house on my only trip to New York in 2015. Maybe one day I’ll make it back to your incredible city but because of the pandemic and advancing years I doubt it.
Remembering all those who died on 9/11 and the thousands who have died since as a result of their work at Ground Zero.
Special remembrance to Michael William Lomax, a neighbour of ours and old boy of Stockport Grammar School, where my 2 boys were educated who died in the collapse of the South tower. Michael’s mother was teaching at the school that day and my boys knew her well. There is a remembrance bench to Michael in the school quadrangle which is always covered in flowers at this time of year and is a focus for the chamber choir to sing the National Anthem of USA on the closest day possible.
Even amongst the sorrow of losing our beloved Queen 9/11 is still remembered here.
🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I was only 9 at the time. I remember all the adults in my life, including my 4th grade teacher, acting strange that fateful day 21 years ago. I knew something was wrong because my church had cancelled our monthly skate night at the local roller rink and my parents couldn’t really give me a “kid friendly” reason why.

Camp Lejune is only minutes from my hometown and the whole town was on edge that day. A lot of my friends at the time had parents or family in the military, who were called into action. I don’t think I really understood the gravity of the situation until I visited the 9/11 Memorial in NYC in 2015. Just being there in the physical space where so many died is life changing.

MrPromey

It feels like a lifetime ago.

So much has changed here and everywhere else.

I have a son now that has absolutely zero understanding of any of this and I hope beyond hope that in his lifetime, the only "where were you when" moments he has is things like our return to the moon or maybe the first foot steps on Mars. 😞

Last edited:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I remember being in the live chat room on this site on that day - for the majority of the day after being sent home from work. I remember old friends that I look forward to seeing on this fateful day, and one old dog no longer with us.

I proudly serve as a public servant and we talked today with our "too young to remember" crew about that day and what it was like seeing it play out in real time. A lesson not to be forgotten.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
I was only 9 at the time. I remember all the adults in my life, including my 4th grade teacher, acting strange that fateful day 21 years ago. I knew something was wrong because my church had cancelled our monthly skate night at the local roller rink and my parents couldn’t really give me a “kid friendly” reason why.

Camp Lejune is only minutes from my hometown and the whole town was on edge that day. A lot of my friends at the time had parents or family in the military, who were called into action. I don’t think I really understood the gravity of the situation until I visited the 9/11 Memorial in NYC in 2015. Just being there in the physical space where so many died is life changing.
My brother did his basic training at Lejeune and spent 8 years in the USMC reserve, including a coup!e years in Kuwait/Iraq during Desert Storm. He came back and went NYPD, and was a sergeant on 9/11. His assignment was to the morgue they'd set up at Chelsea Piers. He had a great career and retired in 2012 after 26 years on the job. Was diagnosed with 9/11-related cancer in July 2014, and died a year later in July 2015,.two days before my birthday.that year. Need less to say, I no.longer celebrate my birthday--each one is a reminder that my brother will never have another one.

I can have free admission to the 9/11 Memorial whenever I want, but after all these years, I haven't been brave enough to go there. I think it would completely break me. What a tragedy, and who could have imagined that it would still be taking first responders.

I know a woman who served asNYPD that day,and went on to achieve great things in the department. As.of last year, she was a Captain and destined for more, but in March she was stricken with 9/11 related cancer and died on Sept 11, 2022 at the age of 45 leaving two teenage daughters. Heartbreaking.

Last edited:

MrPromey

My brother did his basic training at Lejeune and spent 8 years in the USMC reserve, including a coup!e years in Kuwait/Iraq during Desert Storm. He came back and went NYPD, and was a sergeant on 9/11. His assignment was to the morgue they'd set up at Chelsea Piers. He had a great career and retired in 2012 after 26 years on the job. Was diagnosed with 9/11-related cancer in July 2014, and died a year later in July 2015,.two days before my birthday.that year. Need less to say, I no.longer celebrate my birthday--each one is a reminder that my brother will never have another one.

I can have free admission to the 9/11 Memorial whenever I want, but after all these years, I haven't been brave enough to go there. I think it would completely break me. What a tragedy, and who could have imagined that it would still be taking first responders.

I know a woman who served asNYPD that day,and went on to achieve great things in the department. As.of last year, she was a Captain and destined for more, but in March she was stricken with 9/11 related cancer and died on Sept 11, 2022 at the age of 45 leaving two teenage daughters. Heartbreaking.
I'm so sorry.

We all consider it "our" loss but so many of us were lucky enough not to be there or have any loved ones who were, either.

I had a friend in NJ at the time who was terrorized by the sound of fighter jets overhead who probably still to this day has some form of PSTD over it but she was, thankfully, far enough away to be safe.

I can't even imagine what it was like for people like you who's lives were forever directly broken by it.

I'm sorry. :(

muddyrivers

I think all these years later, we need to remember the lingering effects this is having on those that survived and served on that day. We need to continue to take care of those first responders, and treat the day and those who died with the reverence they deserve.
Unfortunately the effects of 9/11 will continue to haunt us for many years to come as even survivors of that day are becoming ill and dying much too soon.

9/11 is a day I will never forget. Even though I was just a kid in a school in NJ, I remember everything about that day and every year take time to remember what happened and how many of us who weren't even there were still impacted by those cowards' actions.

Flugell

Sending love and remembrance of this awful anniversary of the terror attacks on 9/11 from the U.K.. May the sacrifice of the innocent victims and the incredible bravery of the first responders and others who arrived later never be forgotten.
Special prayers for the Wall Street Bulls firehouse who I was lucky enough to visit and Michael Lomax from Stockport- the son of my boys teacher- who died in the collapse of the South Tower after bravely going back in to help others.

🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬🇧🇺🇸🇬

Tadeusz Tadek

Wow! That thread is a gold piece of internet history. Reading the live reaction of people at the day of 9/11 it's kinda crazy, especially when I was born a year after the attacks. So I grew up in post-9/11 reality and I don't know how it was to experiend this event. For me it's shocking but also interesting moment in people's history.

I see that one of the original users of this thread is not with us anymore. Rest in Peace.

Tomjan102009

Wow as a 15 year old, born 8 years after the events of 9/11 it's insane reading this thread through as it all happened in real time. It's an insane piece of history but also ground the event more in my mind as things that real people went through, not just words in a book or what people in news and documentaries say. I've only ever experienced the post 9/11 world and people say that is when everything changed. This forums definitely cements that. I hope everyone affected at that time has found peace from what happened and rest in peace the thousands who died that day, from Britain -Tom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom