Third parking garage coming to Disney Springs

Skywise

Probably if they used Lemon then they would be close to infringing on the Fruit Loops trademark (or Kelloggs didn't want to sponsor the parking lots!)

RonAnnArbor

The parking problem this holiday season at DS was horrific - and it will be better next year with the third lot -- but DS is VERY much a hit - to the point that locals now regularly go there. the AMC is my go-to movie theater now - and all year except for holidays there is zero problem parking near the AMC end of the orange lot. Holidays around WDW are busy no matter where you are on property. Ironically, I live a 13 minute drive away from DS and on my side of WDW you wouldn't even know there was anyone there, since we have no tourist traffic in my area. Still -- I LOVE the design of the lots. If you've ever had to deal with parking garages up north (say Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland) you will know how amazingly great these parking structures are. As to making the area look like an industrial zone - well, seriously, I don't think anyone cares about that either at Disney or locally as long as there is parking -- the view is from the lake, not from the store side of DS, and the area itself has become Orlando's most successful outdoor shopping mall - both with resort guests and the locals. I go to the AMC three times a week with my A-list, and thank goodness for that great garage.

No Name

I imagine the choice of grapefruit instead of lemon may be because you just had an easier time reading grapefruit, alliteration works better with grapefruit garage and lemon lot, and/or grapefruits are more signature to Florida. The downside is grapefruits are kind of similar in shape and color to oranges, but it remains a better choice in my opinion.

MrPromey

I imagine the choice of grapefruit instead of lemon may be because you just had an easier time reading grapefruit, alliteration works better with grapefruit garage and lemon lot, and/or grapefruits are more signature to Florida. The downside is grapefruits are kind of similar in shape and color to oranges, but it remains a better choice in my opinion.

I think "lemon" also brings kind of a bad connotation but maybe it's just me, there. ;)

DisneyCane

Probably if they used Lemon then they would be close to infringing on the Fruit Loops trademark (or Kelloggs didn't want to sponsor the parking lots!)
Not sure if you are joking but there would be no issue whatsoever with using lemon as it relates to fruit loops. In fact, they could call it the fruit loops garage and it still wouldn't be a problem. Trademarks only apply to similar products. That's why there can be a Delta Airlines and Delta Faucets and they both have trademarks.

dhslxop

I drove by last night and I happened to notice a whole bunch of green lights on in the new garage. It appeared that they are the parking spot indicator lights that the other two garages have.

On another note, I used the Orange Garage last night and the parking spot counters and lights were not being used. I parked on the 4th floor and it seemed like all of the existing ones had been removed and were waiting to be replaced - there was just some wiring hanging down where the lights used to be.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I drove by last night and I happened to notice a whole bunch of green lights on in the new garage. It appeared that they are the parking spot indicator lights that the other two garages have.

On another note, I used the Orange Garage last night and the parking spot counters and lights were not being used. I parked on the 4th floor and it seemed like all of the existing ones had been removed and were waiting to be replaced - there was just some wiring hanging down where the lights used to be.

Yeah, they're going with a different company's system.

Disone

I want to second @dhsxlop post. I too drove by the third garage last night from I-4. You could clearly see the overhead green light parking indicator so apparently it does have the same system as the other two garages.

The vendor for the first two garages did say they were surprised to hear that it was not going to. So very odd. The system is being used as recently as last week. I wonder what the new system will be in the orange garage or if they're just fixing the current system?

peter11435

I want to second @dhsxlop post. I too drove by the third garage last night from I-4. You could clearly see the overhead green light parking indicator so apparently it does have the same system as the other two garages.

The vendor for the first two garages did say they were surprised to hear that it was not going to. So very odd. The system is being used as recently as last week. I wonder what the new system will be in the orange garage or if they're just fixing the current system?

Both the old and new systems use green lights to indicate available spaces. So the new garage may already be the new system.

Last edited:

Skywise

Not sure if you are joking but there would be no issue whatsoever with using lemon as it relates to fruit loops. In fact, they could call it the fruit loops garage and it still wouldn't be a problem. Trademarks only apply to similar products. That's why there can be a Delta Airlines and Delta Faucets and they both have trademarks.
I know - It was the whole "Orange, Lemon, Lime and Cherry flavors" that made me think of it. :)

Goofnut1980

We’ve more or less cut out DS from our trips. I can’t stand the garages: they make the area look like an industrial zone, constant flow of slow moving cars waiting to inch forward to get from level to level in garages, constantly waiting for elevators (but don’t go down to the ground floor bc curiously that is not how you exit into DS) and having to navigate the narrow lanes & corners in the garages make it more stressful than it has to be.

The surface lots were just much easier to deal with. Add on top of this the traffic in the Hotel Plaza Blvd. area along with the non-Disney owned/themed restaurants and shops, and little incentive is left for me to go. Most of these points may not matter at all to other guests but they drive me crazy.

I agree with you. DS back in the day used to have unique shops and merch. Now it is filled with stores I have at my local malls and merch I can get at so many of the stores on property. It is a nightmare to go down there now. We skip it most of the time now.

Bill Matthews

Today's Grapefruit Garage Update (31-January-2019) says that opening will be delayed from February to later in the Spring...even though the garage is (essentially) done. But there is no mention of why this delay is happening -- anyone know why?

Disone

I agree with you. DS back in the day used to have unique shops and merch. Now it is filled with stores I have at my local malls and merch I can get at so many of the stores on property. It is a nightmare to go down there now. We skip it most of the time now.
WSL007 post did not make any sense to me. Since the post I have actively look for lines at the elevator. I have not seen any. Including the days were most of the escalators and the orange garage were closed for refurbishment, they were still no lines for the elevators. I'm not sure what he experienced. I also wonder what unique merchandise and shops were removed that some lament the loss. Disney Springs was mostly an addition to the exisiting shops. As far as merchandise and shopping go, I don't feel like there's been a whole lot closed. I do feel like there's been a whole lot at it. And I can understand the argument that a lot of what's added is found at your local mall. But there is also a lot your local mall does not have. A Levi's store that taylors your jeans on site? Does your mall have a Uniqlo? Does it have a Cirque du Soleil? On top of Cirque du Soleil doesn't have over 10 different variety acts going on at any one particular time during the course of an evening? All of which are free? Chances are no.

The only thing Disney Springs truly suffers from is the same thing that any major shopping mall would suffer from. At the end of the day most of what's there will not appeal to you. But that's why it's a mall. It's a massive conglomerate of Shoppes of which you are going to only have a true interest in a small handful of them. I can go to the Mall of America or the West Edmonton Mall and really only be interested in about 5 to 10 shops in those facilities out of the hundreds that they have.

Disone

Today's Grapefruit Garage Update (31-January-2019) says that opening will be delayed from February to later in the Spring...even though the garage is (essentially) done. But there is no mention of why this delay is happening -- anyone know why?
Interesting. Maybe it didn't pass inspection? And now they have to go back and rebuild something?

WhatJaneSays

WSL007 post did not make any sense to me. Since the post I have actively look for lines at the elevator. I have not seen any. Including the days were most of the escalators and the orange garage were closed for refurbishment, they were still no lines for the elevators. I'm not sure what he experienced. I also wonder what unique merchandise and shops were removed that some lament the loss. Disney Springs was mostly an addition to the exisiting shops. As far as merchandise and shopping go, I don't feel like there's been a whole lot closed. I do feel like there's been a whole lot at it. And I can understand the argument that a lot of what's added is found at your local mall. But there is also a lot your local mall does not have. A Levi's store that taylors your jeans on site? Does your mall have a Uniqlo? Does it have a Cirque du Soleil? On top of Cirque du Soleil doesn't have over 10 different variety acts going on at any one particular time during the course of an evening? All of which are free? Chances are no.

The only thing Disney Springs truly suffers from is the same thing that any major shopping mall would suffer from. At the end of the day most of what's there will not appeal to you. But that's why it's a mall. It's a massive conglomerate of Shoppes of which you are going to only have a true interest in a small handful of them. I can go to the Mall of America or the West Edmonton Mall and really only be interested in about 5 to 10 shops in those facilities out of the hundreds that they have.

I think many people forget that Disney Springs IS the local mall for a lot people. It's my closest non-outlet mall, and I buy day-to-day things there all the time. Makeup, bath stuff, clothes, accessories, jewelry, plus lots of my hobby/fun stuff like Lego.

As much as people want to complain about the lack of unique stores at Disney Springs, the truth is that those kinds of stores rarely survive at any location. DS is supporting a number stores and venues that don't typically survive outside of either very tourist heavy places or mega cities.

Dr.GrantSeeker

Do we know what type of parking management system Disney will be using in the new garage? I parked in the Orange garage over the weekend and there were a lot of construction guys taking down the current parking management system where the sensor hangs above vehicles and tells you how many spots there are remaining.

Disone

Do we know what type of parking management system Disney will be using in the new garage? I parked in the Orange garage over the weekend and there were a lot of construction guys taking down the current parking management system where the sensor hangs above vehicles and tells you how many spots there are remaining.
I believe the the sensors are being replaced, not removed. This work began a few weeks ago and the sensors were removed from Level 4 of the orange garage. More recently where the sensor used to be there us now new and longer wires dangling from the ceiling. Strong indication that more work, new sensors, are on the way. Unknown to me is whether or not this is the current vendor replacing the sensors, perhaps a warranty issue. Or whether an entirely new vendor is putting in their own system.
As far as the new garage when you drive past it and I-4 you can clearly see green lights in the ceiling above every parking spot.

Magic Feather

The Grapefruit Garage’s color will be a dull yellow, akin to the peel of a grapefruit. Somewhat like this:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom