Thinking about becoming a nurse...

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Hello all!

Last night as I was searching jobs (like I do) I kept noticing a trend that popped up in my searches. All of the positions are in the medical field, specifically RN's or other aspects of the nursing profession.

Then it hit me....(like a bolt out of the blue) I think I really want to get involved in this field. Now, I already have a Bachelor's degree in Communication so I have done the college thing. But I just feel so stunted in my search for a job that I want to have some other form of training to expand my career choices. I would love to have options (once I get certified) as well as a whole new skill set at my fingertips.

I haven't narrowed down the realm of nursing I'd like to pursue. I know it's a pretty broad spectrum. But just taking the first steps would be very awesome (for lack of a better term.)

Any advice or thoughts are more than welcome. Right now I'm on the metaphorical diving board just bouncing up and down, waiting to take that jump...

tigsmom

Hello all!

Last night as I was searching jobs (like I do) I kept noticing a trend that popped up in my searches. All of the positions are in the medical field, specifically RN's or other aspects of the nursing profession.

Then it hit me....(like a bolt out of the blue) I think I really want to get involved in this field. Now, I already have a Bachelor's degree in Communication so I have done the college thing. But I just feel so stunted in my search for a job that I want to have some other form of training to expand my career choices. I would love to have options (once I get certified) as well as a whole new skill set at my fingertips.

I haven't narrowed down the realm of nursing I'd like to pursue. I know it's a pretty broad spectrum. But just taking the first steps would be very awesome (for lack of a better term.)

Any advice or thoughts are more than welcome. Right now I'm on the metaphorical diving board just bouncing up and down, waiting to take that jump...

The reason you see all the ads for RN's is because there is (and has been for awhile) a shortage. Many present RN's are of baby boomer age (like my DH and myself) and thinking of retiring, something I have already done. Many are leaving the profession for something less stressful.
It is not an easy career nor a glamorous one and it is one that does not pay the big bucks, BUT if you want to really make a difference with your life than you may want to give it a try. Since you already have your Bachelors you will probably just need to take your core nursing courses and maybe some science. Get in touch with your local college that has an RN program and talk to admissions or somebody in the nursing dept.
I was a geriatric nurse and the DH is a critical care nurse (and has been for 31 years).

Since you have a Bachelors in communication you might want to do what mys sister did and get a Masters in Speech Pathology (she went back at age 40). She was a Comm/Speech path major in college, but dropped the last part her second year. It was something that she held in the back of her heart for years and finally went forward with it, she works with school age kids and loves it.

Have you ever taken a career aptitude test? The local colleges around here give them all the time, you may want to see what you have skills for to help you decide on your next step. Whatever you decide I wish you Good Luck ((HUGS))

diddy_mouse

Original Poster
Thanks for the info tigsmom!

I think I'll go ahead and talk to someone at my local community college. I know I'll probably need to take a placement test of some form or another just to see where I stand.

It's a little scary thinking about "starting over" but in my heart I know this is something I need to do. I'd love knowing that I can actually make a difference for someone if not for myself. I've worked nothing but retail and feel like my potential is going to waste. I know I'm capable of so much more! And I am still relatively young *cough27cough*:lookaroun with no kids so I figure...no time like the present!

heartodisney

There are so many openings everywhere. You also can work in a critical care unit for two years and apply for nurse anesthesia school. There is also delving off into being a P.A. So, there are options! Good luck!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom