Things you don't get

disneyfromvermo

Original Poster
So, I was thinking about Disney, again. For some reason my mind drifted off to the adventurers club at PI. My wife and I have been twice. The first time we hung out for about half an hour and left shaking our heads. After reading other accounts, when we next returned to the world, we hit the club again. My hope is that this time we would "get it". This time we stayed longer. We saw the big show in the library and another one with the maid in a side room. Sadly, we still don't get it. Just don't find it funny. So my question is this, what in the world do you just not get?

Nicole

I don't get the Country Bears or the Tiki Room. And I've tried. But it's almost physically painful for me to sit through either show.

DisneySaint

I don't get:

- what makes preschoolers drool over Dumbo, even after riding everything else
- why people feel the need to complain endlessly to Disney about rides they were dumb enough to go on or take their kids on without reading the endless warnings
- the stupid backstory they try to put on Kilamanjaro Saffari's (Simba One)
- how the Jungle Cruise has made it this long
- how Indiana Jones has gone without any major show changes in so long

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
disneyfromvermo said:
So, I was thinking about Disney, again. For some reason my mind drifted off to the adventurers club at PI. My wife and I have been twice. The first time we hung out for about half an hour and left shaking our heads. After reading other accounts, when we next returned to the world, we hit the club again. My hope is that this time we would "get it". This time we stayed longer. We saw the big show in the library and another one with the maid in a side room. Sadly, we still don't get it. Just don't find it funny. So my question is this, what in the world do you just not get?

You don't get the Adv. Club?? I *LOVE* that place...advice though:
Stay the whole night...otherwise you won't 'get' the ongoing story!!

HOOPLA!!!

MissM

Nicole said:
I don't get the Country Bears or the Tiki Room. And I've tried. But it's almost physically painful for me to sit through either show.
I feel you on this one. Especially the Country Bears. :hurl: It's just horrible! And creepy! Bleck.

I don't understand the insanity around Adventurer's Club either. Seems mostly pointless to me. Eh.

But Country Bears - Bleck!
-m

ilovepluto23

I know a lot of people like Tom Sawyer's Island...but I honestly don't get it. Why go do that when there are plenty of really fun rides to go on?

My best friend LOVES TSI and told me "You have to make it fun"
Why? Isn't that what imagineers are for???

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Fallen Angel said:

HOOPLA!!!
HOOPLA!!!!!!

If you liked the Adv Club you would understand.:lol:

RonAnnArbor

I don't get:

1. Adventurer's club either - what a waste of time -- rather head over to Mannequins for some drink and dance

2. Parents dragging their three year olds out of the resort to go back to MK to see the fireworks which just scare the kid and end up with screaming 3 year olds and a very long bus ride back to the resort

3. The absolute tackiness of the Primievel Whirl ride area at AK

4. The hall of presidents. Really. Couldn't you just walk in, look at it for three minutes, and go on your way?

5. The Country Bears song lyrics - about drink, alcohol, shooting stuff, blood and just nonsense. A butt-numbing 20 minutes.

BruceWayne

Fallen Angel said:

HOOPLA!!!

I dont get the adventure club either. Why stay the whole night for something when I could just go to the improv club and laugh, or spend my time elsewhere, not waiting around for something to happen.

It has lots of interesting decorations, though. I just can't imagine having to spend the whole night in there. I haven't been to PI in ages, too many sketchy locals (esp. on the weekends), so I may be missing out on something new that they have hopefully implemented to insure everyone "gets" it.

One thing I dont get: peoples obsession with the different fireworks shows. I mean, once youve seen it, its not any different the next time. GO RIDE SOME RIDES! (or better yet, don't so I can ride more, quicker!)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Things that are lost on me...

1. Turkey legs and Funnel Cake - just, eww.

2. Autographs - Don't care, never will.

3. Pin Trading - Think it's silly.

4. People who really want to be selected to be a parade grand marshal, to open the park, etc, and come to message boards asking how to get chosen or how to set it up for themself. It wouldn't be special if you got to choose to do it!

PixiePrincess

Things I don't get:

1. Turkey Legs, YUCK!
2. Parents who shove their kids ahead of other kids to get a better "view".
3. The Swiss Family Treehouse, (I know I'll probably get some flack for that one.)
4. That stupid show in MGM with Drew Carey.
5. The idiots that are walking in front of you and decide to just "stop" right where they are causing a 7 people pile up behind.

Jerriko

ilovepluto23 said:
I know a lot of people like Tom Sawyer's Island...but I honestly don't get it. Why go do that when there are plenty of really fun rides to go on?

My best friend LOVES TSI and told me "You have to make it fun"
Why? Isn't that what imagineers are for???

Tom Sawyers Island is such a great place. It's so relaxing away from most of the crowds of the rest of the park. Lots of places to explore, lots of shade from the sun. I believe your friend has the right idea. Too many people today have the "Entertain me" attitude. As someone once said "We need more imagination in our life"

Chris

Jerriko said:
Tom Sawyers Island is such a great place. It's so relaxing away from most of the crowds of the rest of the park. Lots of places to explore, lots of shade from the sun. I believe your friend has the right idea. Too many people today have the "Entertain me" attitude. As someone once said "We need more imagination in our life"

Chris

Couldn't have said it better myself. I feel often that I am in the minority, as I am someone who enjoys the subtle side to attractions. My favorite books are written by Mark Twain. I really feel that WDI hit the nail right on the head when creating the town of Hannibal. Although it is true that kids are more prone to liking the Mountains and other thrill rides, some kids still like TSI. More importantly, grown-up kids (like myself) still enjoy timeless attractions like TSI, CoP and One Man's Dream.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
1 - Illuminations - it's not that great
2 - Fantasmic - maybe I've just never had a 'good' seat
3 - Animal Kingdom - I worked @ Disney for a year (2003-2004) and only went 1x...i wasn't that impressed (maybe I missed something??)
4 - Kali River Rapids - Wait in line for 60 min for a 90-second ride, I've been on WAY better water-rides

Let the flames begin

jmvd20

1.) The Wand
2.) The Narnia thing at MGM
3.) Why hardly anyone likes the Tiki Room
4.) Stitches Great Escape
5.) Did I mention The Wand

Its a old song that old peopel would get and its humorious. I find country bear awesome and I dont understand everybody wanting all the fun oldtime rides gone and replaced with crap thats 30 seconds and your done.

Master Yoda said:
HOOPLA!!!!!!

If you liked the Adv Club you would understand.:lol:

HOOOPLA!!!

Alright besides that. I noticed yesterday in philharmagic. Correct me if im wrong but Donald Duck is a duck, but yet he cant fly and needs pixie dust to help him?? Odd?? I think yes. Ducks can fly, trust me ive had plenty of ducks fly straight at my head in frontierland.

DisneyMarg

One thing I DO get is that I'm old:lol:
I really like many of the things you don't get. I'm not sure there's a lot of "getting" to them - just simple entertainment and sometimes a nice cool place to sit.
  • Tom Sawyer's Island
  • Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey
  • The Tiki Room
  • Jungle Cruise (how could you NOT get that?)
  • Hall of Presidents
  • Fireworks - all of them
  • Turkey legs (YUM)
  • Animal Kingdom - ESPECIALLY Kali River Rapids
However, I'm there with you on Adventurer's Club, Narnia, and the Country Bear Jamboree.

Adreamisawish

What I don't get is how anyone can complain about Disney anything.

OK...so I'm old and I'm complaining. Please bring back 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and ALL of the other original rides at WDW and DL.

Walt designed his parks to be timeless so you could discover something new you hadn't seen before if you were lucky enough to go more than once. I don't think he ever meant to get rid of any rides or features. I think he meant to keep the old and develop the new without getting rid of what is already there.

I'm really sorry that us old people, who can remember the ORIGINAL Mickey Mouse Club and the opening of Disneyland 50 years ago, are the among the few left that really know about the "Magic" that Walt Disney wished for all of us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom