Things Walt wouldn't have approved of

speck76

Dragonrider1227 said:
I can think of one thing Walt proboly wouldn't approve of. Sponsers. I think he would've felt that having the Kodak logo underneith the "Journey into Imagination" sign or what ever it is that sponser's "Mickey's Philharmagic" *I think Kodak also*would hurt the illusion. I know I do sometimes.

Monsanto's home of the future was around in Walt's day at DL

With all of Walt's work for the World's Fair....he is owned by the sponsors

PintoColvig

Dragonrider1227 said:
I can think of one thing Walt proboly wouldn't approve of. Sponsers. I think he would've felt that having the Kodak logo underneith the "Journey into Imagination" sign or what ever it is that sponser's "Mickey's Philharmagic" *I think Kodak also*would hurt the illusion. I know I do sometimes.

It seems to me that when an attraction loses its sponsorship is when its quality starts going down. SSE comes to mind.

dxwwf3

PintoColvig said:
It seems to me that when an attraction loses its sponsorship is when its quality starts going down. SSE comes to mind.

Wonders of Life comes to mind too. It seems when an attraction that has a sponsor loses one, Disney stops caring about it.

wannab@dis

dxwwf3 said:
Wonders of Life comes to mind too. It seems when an attraction that has a sponsor loses one, Disney stops caring about it.
Let's think about it for a minute... (just some musings)

When a sponsor drops an attraction, I would think there are a couple of reasons... one, like Dreamflight, it was a pure financial decision. In that case, I bet Disney does go out and look for a replacement sponsor or starts thinking about a replacement attraction that would appeal to a new sponsor.

A second case is probably the biggest reason. The attraction no longer has major appeal to the guests. I'm sure sponsorship contracts includes some type of demagraphic data requirements that has to be shared with the sponsor. If the attraction loses guest counts or the demographics skews from an acceptable pattern, the contract probably won't be renewed. When that happens, it's not in Disney's best interest to throw money at it right and left to just 'prop it up'. They probably start looking at a MAJOR rehab or a replacement with the thought of new sponsorship.

I don't know... just some thoughts.

peter11435

wannab@dis said:

When a sponsor drops an attraction, I would think there are a couple of reasons... one, like Dreamflight, it was a pure financial decision. In that case, I bet Disney does go out and look for a replacement sponsor or starts thinking about a replacement attraction that would appeal to a new sponsor.

A second case is probably the biggest reason. The attraction no longer has major appeal to the guests. I'm sure sponsorship contracts includes some type of demagraphic data requirements that has to be shared with the sponsor. If the attraction loses guest counts or the demographics skews from an acceptable pattern, the contract probably won't be renewed. When that happens, it's not in Disney's best interest to throw money at it right and left to just 'prop it up'. They probably start looking at a MAJOR rehab or a replacement with the thought of new sponsorship.

Makes sense to me.

PintoColvig

wannab@dis said:

That's probably true. Is this not what we are expecting from the new Siemens sponsorship of SSE?

dxwwf3

wannab@dis said:

You're right, but it's still no excuse for the way SSE has been getting lately. ATT or not, the past 3 or 4 years have been pretty bad for that attraction and it's the most visited attraction in Disney World (or it least it used to be. I would assume that wouldn't change because of the location). Hopefully with new sponsorship, they'll fix the problems.

PintoColvig

dxwwf3 said:
...it's the most visited attraction in Disney World (or it least it used to be.

This is going further off topic, I know, but where would one find a listing of the most visited attractions?

EDIT: for clarity

TP2000

Dragonrider1227 said:
I can think of one thing Walt proboly wouldn't approve of. Sponsers.

Not to beat a dead horse, but you could not be more wrong if you tried.

I invite you to do some research on Walt Disney, and his personal feelings about sponsorship at Disneyland. Heck, just take a look at old Disneyland postcards on Ebay and see all of the corporate logos that adorned Disneyland buildings and rides during the 1950's and 60's. The corporate sponsor logos have actually been toned down quite a bit since Walt's day.

In addition, realize that Walt Disney was a staunch Republican and felt very strongly about furthering the American Free Enterprise system and capitalism.

Even his last thoughts on EPCOT before he died made it crystal clear that the Florida property was to be a monument to private enterprise and unbridled capitalism. Sponsorship is a good thing; for you, for the park, and for the company called Disney that operates the park.

drew_dawg2005ut

One thing im mad about is all of WDW! I love it but Walt wanted to make a city that the world could look to! He died so the company were lost teenagers who wanted to copy on a test!!! If he would have lived till the 80's the whole world would be differnent! Because Walt set out to do the impossible! And every time he did something they said it would be his fall but every time he came through and made the world better!!!!!

Dragonrider1227

TP2000 said:
Not to beat a dead horse, but you could not be more wrong if you tried.

I invite you to do some research on Walt Disney, and his personal feelings about sponsorship at Disneyland. Heck, just take a look at old Disneyland postcards on Ebay and see all of the corporate logos that adorned Disneyland buildings and rides during the 1950's and 60's. The corporate sponsor logos have actually been toned down quite a bit since Walt's day.

In addition, realize that Walt Disney was a staunch Republican and felt very strongly about furthering the American Free Enterprise system and capitalism.

Even his last thoughts on EPCOT before he died made it crystal clear that the Florida property was to be a monument to private enterprise and unbridled capitalism. Sponsorship is a good thing; for you, for the park, and for the company called Disney that operates the park.
Oh. Excuse me then. I take back my past comment.

drew_dawg2005ut said:
One thing im mad about is all of WDW! I love it but Walt wanted to make a city that the world could look to! He died so the company were lost teenagers who wanted to copy on a test!!! If he would have lived till the 80's the whole world would be differnent! Because Walt set out to do the impossible! And every time he did something they said it would be his fall but every time he came through and made the world better!!!!!
Agreed sort of. I think if Walt had lived, he proboly would've found a way to make his city work or at least gotten something pretty close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom