Things to buy before visiting

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Disney is now providing hefty paper straws so you don’t need to bring metal ones (unless you want to.)

C8D5CA71-59C6-4F9C-AFDB-CA6C644CEF2D.jpeg

But you should bring SUNSCREEN!

Upvote 0

Minnie Mum

Yes, bring ALL the sunscreen. It will be expensive if you buy from the resort general store. Also, bring your own mini pharmacy- the OTC meds that might be needed while you're away from home. I always make sure if have Tylenol (paracetamol to the Brits), an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen, something for digestive upset, a nasal spray in case of a cold, and allergy medicine, antibiotic ointment and bandaids. Of course don't forget any prescription meds.

Upvote 0

John park hopper

Now at POFQ the paper straws have funny feel when you use them and to me they have a taste. They don't seem to last very long. My advice bring some reusable plastic straws carry them with you---- just my 2 cents Bring a hat and very comfortable shoes-- cool cloths-- it's been in the very high 80's and low 90's-- moderate humidity

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
A few clothes pegs to clip the curtains shut if you need it dark in the room.

Mini fan, sunglasses, sun hat.

Travel adaptors and any cables you need to recharge phone, tablet etc.

And now is the time to double check you have your ESTA authorisation, insurance etc. And your photo driving licence is easier and more portable as ID than a passport. Plus some cash, including as low denomination as you can for tipping etc (insist on at least some five dollar bills, and if possible some dollar some dollar bills). And a currency card if you want to avoid those conversion charges.

Upvote 0

Hcalvert

Yes, bring ALL the sunscreen. It will be expensive if you buy from the resort general store. Also, bring your own mini pharmacy- the OTC meds that might be needed while you're away from home. I always make sure if have Tylenol (paracetamol to the Brits), an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen, something for digestive upset, a nasal spray in case of a cold, and allergy medicine, antibiotic ointment and bandaids. Of course don't forget any prescription meds.

I found out on my last trip in June that the parks' First Aid will provide free tylenol and other common OTC meds if needed. My son had a terrible headache at EPCOT and we stopped there thinking we could buy some. All the nurse did was write his name down and gave him the appropriate dose of children's tylenol and a small bottle of water. I offered to pay, put they said it was complimentary. I don't want to be caught out again, so I will be making sure I bring some anyways on my next trip.

Upvote 0

winstongator

At least two pairs of walking shoes plus a pair of flip-flops or wet-shoes. You could easily end up getting a pair of shoes soaked and they won't dry immediately Nice to have that backup pair. Also nice to bring the wet shoes when you know either its going to rain or you're getting wet on a ride. I like to bring my oldest pair of sneakers and wear those on the worst forecast weather day, just in case they get completely soaked.

Upvote 0

JohnD

All,
Trying to purchase things before we travel,
So far I’ve been told:
Poncho’s and metal straws
Anything else lol
TYIA

Depends on if you’re flying or driving. If driving bring water. Not a sin to bring plastic straws. Just no longer offered with drinks. (No fan of the paper straws. Not against them In principle but practically they fall apart too soon and affect the taste of drinks.)

Upvote 0

JohnD

Now at POFQ the paper straws have funny feel when you use them and to me they have a taste. They don't seem to last very long. My advice bring some reusable plastic straws carry them with you---- just my 2 cents Bring a hat and very comfortable shoes-- cool cloths-- it's been in the very high 80's and low 90's-- moderate humidity

I bought a second Orange Bird slushee in Epcot just so I could get the hard straw that came with it. Accidentally threw away the first straw. Now have two OBs though!

301B7748-9E92-41A9-B424-D27E923CF9C3.jpeg

Upvote 0

awoogala

small ziplocks if you have kids that don't eat everything, for phone protection in rain/wet rides. snacks/bars/water/drinks for in the room or in your bag. big ziplocks for the remote/wet suits/etc. lysol spray or wipes for door handles, phone, etc. to keep from catching "disney flu" (haven't gotten sick since we started the remote/lysol thing), clothespins to hang wet suits. min first aid/band-aids kit. body glide if you think there is a chance of chafing which, at Disney, is a darn good chance), hanging toiletry bags/or a hanging shoe bag for toiletries, espeecially in the value resorts, where counter space is slim. power strip is a great idea if you have room, there is never enough plugs these days with all our electronics. Backup battery to charge phones in park. rfid protected wallet. Just some of the things we've used and loved. I like the straw idea- we use stainless straws at home all of the time, they're fantastic. (just remember your straw brush- and maybe a tiny bottle of dishwashing liquid!- also useful if you use the reusable mugs- the liquid plus a sponge)

Upvote 0

DreamalittleDisney

UK traveller here ... homebargains is usually the answer for a lot of our little extras...

Ziplock bags great for everything mentioned above

Ponchos.. can save you $$$ one rainy day and take up no room in your bag

Mini first aid kit .. they do really small ones has some plasters in, wipes etc

Mole skin.. I heard about this on these forums for stopping and helping store blistered feet .. homebargains have now started selling this too!

If you are travelling with kids...

I always pick up some flight bits for our son .. hide them in my hand luggage cheap crayons, cheap disney sticker and colouring books, they also sell those busy books with characters really cheap in pop them into a ziplock bag and they are perfect aeroplane tray sized toys!

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

Fellow brit here.
Compeed blister plasters (bandaids for the US readers) or similar and blister stick come in useful - available from lots of UK stores. Also bug spray- we tend to use a brand named'OFF!' which we buy over there but take a small one from home to spray as soon as we get to Orlando- I tend to get bites! Zip- lock bags as mentioned, phone chargers etc, sun screen. Loose change gif tips as soon as arrive.
Definitely get your ESTAs sorted asap - you don't want an unnecessary trip to the US embassy in London before your trip.

Upvote 0

correcaminos

Depends on if you’re flying or driving. If driving bring water. Not a sin to bring plastic straws. Just no longer offered with drinks. (No fan of the paper straws. Not against them In principle but practically they fall apart too soon and affect the taste of drinks.)
Plastic straws are forbidden in AK. Personally most of the time straws are unnecessary anyway IMO

A wide brim foldable hat!

I am always amazed at people walking around the parks, under the FL blazing sun with their heads uncovered! 🥵
to each their own, I never wear a hat. I do wear sunscreen everyday though.

Upvote 0

DISR

Koozies (they make them for plastic cups as well as cans and bottles). In the Florida summer, any drink in a plastic cup will get warm fast! After the morning rope drop and a day of lines and crowds, that afternoon beer at EPCOT or the pool tastes really good, but it is better if it isn't warm by the halfway point...and no, I do not drink the beer exceedingly slow.

We also order a bunch of the cheapest ponchos we can get and toss them when we are done. Nothing like carrying around a wet bail of plastic if you are trying to reuse them.

I also like to bring lens wipes for glasses/sunglasses...your lenses can get nasty quickly.

Small shoulder bag (smaller than backpack) to hold all of the above and anything else you need.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

"Must-haves" are pretty subjective, as you can see from previous responses. I tend to try and bring only the necessities, and avoid buying anything "especially for WDW." My most-recommended bring-alongs would be:

- Ziploc bags in various sizes (great for keeping your electronics dry on wet rides, storing meal leftovers, corralling loose items in the hotel room, packing up damp swimsuits or wet toothbrushes...)
- Disposable, cheap rain ponchos if you plan to go on Kali River Rapids; more hardy ponchos if the forecast calls for ample rain
- A small park bag (e.g., crossbody mini purse or similar) sufficient to hold sunglasses, phone (with MyDisneyExperience app loaded), power pack for the phone (if you'll be spending dusk-to-dawn in the parks only); a couple of tissues, a mini-First-Aid kit (a couple of Band-Aids, a couple of blister covers, sample-size tube of antibiotic ointment, headache medicine), hand sanitizer or individually-packaged wet wipes, and autograph book and marker if you plan to get character autographs)
- sunscreen (stick, spray or lotion - whatever form you prefer, keeping in mind the 3-1-1 rule if you're putting it in your carryon)
- Good, sturdy tennis shoes and/or hiking sandals - something that supports your feet well and doesn't get slippery when wet

As far as straws and the like, my family just drinks straight out of the Disney-supplied cups and glasses like a bunch of barbarians: no straws needed. We're so good at it that we hardly ever dump the entire contents of our beverages down our fronts anymore. ;) We don't bring water bottles with us to the parks: if we're thirsty, we just ask for a free cup of water at a CS location.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom