Things Disney fans let Universal "get away" with...

JustInTime

I don't see the problem with Rockit. It's not located in New York, it's in Production Central, where it fits. Transformers is impossible to comment on considering it could go into 3 lands. And claiming it's too close to Shrek would be like complaining Tiki Room is too close to Country Bear Jamboree.

That's not the problem. The problem is walking down the new york streets you can see obnoxious red track jutting out of buildings and going over the tops of buildings. It's awful themeing. Some of the worst I have ever seen.

HTF

Is this thread about the short comings of Universal's recent and on going expansions, refurbs, and upgrades? Or is it a thread regarding Disney's lack of upgrades, refurbs, and expansions? I'm so confused...

lazyboy97o

That's not the problem. The problem is walking down the new york streets you can see obnoxious red track jutting out of buildings and going over the tops of buildings. It's awful themeing. Some of the worst I have ever seen.
Universal Studios Florida was not designed to be a themed experience. It was designed to be a studio first and foremost. That is why the area in which the coaster intrudes is so flat, it was not about creating a convincing walking environment. Yes, it ruins a view, but its a view that was nothing when in it and no longer used for its original purpose.

JustInTime

Universal Studios Florida was not designed to be a themed experience. It was designed to be a studio first and foremost. That is why the area in which the coaster intrudes is so flat, it was not about creating a convincing walking environment. Yes, it ruins a view, but its a view that was nothing when in it and no longer used for its original purpose.

So was MGM/DHS though? And the point of this thread is to talk about why USO gets slack and DHS doesn't. So in all fairness, you really proved the OP's point. We DO give USO too much slack when it has areas far worse than DHS. Even if USO is the better park, it's themeing nightmare. DHS has had a much better transition.

TalkingHead

So was MGM/DHS though? And the point of this thread is to talk about why USO gets slack and DHS doesn't. So in all fairness, you really proved the OP's point. We DO give USO too much slack when it has areas far worse than DHS. Even if USO is the better park, it's themeing nightmare. DHS has had a much better transition.

Does it, though?

It's spread out more -- but is there better transition between Indy and Star Tours and Muppets, for instance, than Mummy and Beetlejuice and Disaster?

I think all Studios parks are going to be somewhat disjunctive by their very nature.

But Universal has managed to stay relatively commited to movies (RRRC and the Simpsons being the exceptions). DHS just seems to be the park where attractions are put if they don't belong anywhere else.

JustInTime

Does it, though?

It's spread out more -- but is there better transition between Indy and Star Tours and Muppets, for instance, than Mummy and Beetlejuice and Disaster?

I think all Studios parks are going to be somewhat disjunctive by their very nature.

But Universal has managed to stay relatively commited to movies (RRRC and the Simpsons being the exceptions). DHS just seems to be the park where attractions are put if they don't belong anywhere else.

EDIT: I mean the transition from studio to park. Not actual transitions between attractions in DHS. The property has adapted better visually and thematically.

DHS is certainly prettier visually than USO. The visual themeing is hands down better at DHS. Like I already said, USO may be the better park but DHS is the better themed of the 2. USO is all over the place.

lazyboy97o

The Disney-MGM Studios was more focused on the theme park experience than Universal Studios Florida. The sets at Universal Studios Florida, in general, are far more dimensional and better executed in comparison to the Disney-MGM Studios were a lot has been poorly under the guise of "it's supposed to be fake since this is for movie." I also did not prove the point, I showed how once again there is greater context to each of these issues. I am not giving slack, I am looking into the reasons for why. Nobody is going to deny that Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rock It was done towards the end of a period of time when the Resort was being severely neglected. It has happened, it is past and Universal is moving forward with some amazing new offerings.

JustInTime

The Disney-MGM Studios was more focused on the theme park experience than Universal Studios Florida. The sets at Universal Studios Florida, in general, are far more dimensional and better executed in comparison to the Disney-MGM Studios were a lot has been poorly under the guise of "it's supposed to be fake since this is for movie." I also did not prove the point, I showed how once again there is greater context to each of these issues. I am not giving slack, I am looking into the reasons for why. Nobody is going to deny that Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rock It was done towards the end of a period of time when the Resort was being severely neglected. It has happened, it is past and Universal is moving forward with some amazing new offerings.

Okay. ;)

JT3000

Transition from what? DHS is largely the same park it always was, minus the actual production. The randomly placed, hardly themed soundstages, which make up a majority of the park, are still randomly placed, hardly themed soundstages. Some just have different attractions in them now. Sunset Blvd has been the only major expansion of the park since it opened, and coincidentally(?) it's also the only part of the park with quality theming and sense of place. Even one of the park's newest projects, Pixar Place, is just a soundstage with bricks and Toy Story decorations slapped onto it. Woo-hoo. As far as I can tell, DHS is still waiting for a transition.

People often complain about certain attractions in USF, such as Twister, not fitting thematically in the lands they're located in. Do you know why they're able to make this complaint? Because USF actually has distinct lands (with a couple lacking exceptions.) Outside of Sunset Blvd and a basically empty NY street, DHS does not. This fact doesn't forgive USF's theming mishaps, but if USF is a "theming nightmare," what does that make the considerably less themed DHS?

JustInTime

Transition from what? DHS is largely the same park it always was, minus the actual production. The randomly placed, hardly themed soundstages, which make up a majority of the park, are still randomly placed, hardly themed soundstages. Some just have different attractions in them now. Sunset Blvd has been the only major expansion of the park since it opened, and coincidentally(?) it's also the only part of the park with quality theming and sense of place. Even one of the park's newest projects, Pixar Place, is just a soundstage with bricks and Toy Story decorations slapped onto it. Woo-hoo. As far as I can tell, DHS is still waiting for a transition.

People often complain about certain attractions in USF, such as Twister, not fitting thematically in the lands they're located in. Do you know why they're able to make this complaint? Because USF actually has distinct lands (with a couple lacking exceptions.) Outside of Sunset Blvd and a basically empty NY street, DHS does not. This fact doesn't forgive USF's theming mishaps, but if USF is a "theming nightmare," what does that make the considerably less themed DHS?

If you can't tell that DHS is themed better than USO then I really have no need to discuss this further. Even in DHS's weakest state, the park is still beautiful and better themed that it's competitor.

lazyboy97o

If you can't tell that DHS is themed better than USO then I really have no need to discuss this further. Even in DHS's weakest state, the park is still beautiful and better themed that it's competitor.
Methinks you may be confusing theme with ornament and decoration.

JustInTime

If you can't back up your points, instead of merely stating them as fact, there is indeed no need to discuss anything with you.
I can, but why bother when somebody is already too blind to see it for themselves? I have no time for that.

tumblr_m9wp7qUdNv1r8nmrbo2_500.gif

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Universal isn't perfect, but it's vastly better than most Disney fans give it credit for. It was floundering under a terrible ownership group in the early 2000s until 2011, and now is getting the love it deserves. You won't be able to recognize Universal Studios Florida and Universal Orlando Resort in 5 years time, and that's a good thing.

Walt Disney World, on the other hand, is stuck in idle with a brain dead driver. There's no vision for the future. I think the DHS plan could be a great one, but other than that, the resort is just stuck in the same gear it has been since 2000.

I love and enjoy both sets of parks. Yeah there are some Uni things I don't care for but I'm also not a fan of Idol, the new backlot tour, most of Future World, Stitch, Carnival AK, Conservation Station petting area and likely more.

Avatar, Hyperion Wharf, Future World tell me Disney is not at its best for creating new magic. I look forward to FLE, it will be beautiful, I just fear how long beautiful will hold my interest. I love Everest, TM, Rock'n but worry Dwarf will be as thrilling as Goofy. So I worry about bank for the buck with Disney's FLE 5 years out. Where Universals projects are not being halted, stalled out, they are building and building good stuff. Yeah, they are land locked but they are doing the best with the square feet they have. Disney, AK, lots and lots of vacant land and stalled Avatar which followed the stalled Original FLE and stalled Wharf.

So yeah we can hold Uni accountable for a few things but all and all they are moving in the right direction.
Disney just can't seem to make any decision and stick with it, well except for those costumes at the American Pavilion. I agree 5 years out, Uni is going to win the creative award for projects opened.

JT3000

I can, but why bother when somebody is already too blind to see it for themselves? I have no time for that.

Oh, you're too cool to debate properly. Gotta change the subject to an imagined deficiency in your opponent. I see. Guess I should just admit defeat now, huh? I mean, I can't possibly best someone who knows how to post random GIFs. I'm clearly in way over my head here.

TalkingHead

Methinks you are forgetting that ornament and decoration are components to theming. :rolleyes:

Pixar Place, Animation Courtyard, Indy, LMA, and Idol/Sounds Dangerous area have little ornamentation or theming (or giant unattractive billboard for ornamentation).

Chinese Theater and Star Tours have ornatmention, but it's more or less limited to the exterior of these attractions.

Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, Streets of America, and the Muppets area are well-themed.

The park is patchy, simply put.

EDIT: How could I forget that theming masterpiece that is the exterior to RNRC...

JustInTime

This is better than DHS? Nice try. :cool:

Being a component does not make them the same. Ornament and decoration only becoming theming under the appropriate conditions, mostly in relation to purpose. Even the same object in differing contexts can move between between being theming and being mere decoration.

Show me how this beats Hollywood Blvd and you win.

P9140014.JPG

lazyboy97o

If it is so obvious, it should not be difficult. Would probably even take less time than finding some stupid image.

Methinks you are forgetting that ornament and decoration are components to theming. :rolleyes:
Being a component does not make them the same. Ornament and decoration only becoming theming under the appropriate conditions, mostly in relation to purpose. Even the same object in differing contexts can move between between being theming and being mere decoration.

JustInTime

Pixar Place, Animation Courtyard, Indy, LMA, and Idol/Sounds Dangerous area have little ornamentation or theming (or giant unattractive billboard for ornamentation).

Chinese Theater and Star Tours have ornatmention, but it's more or less limited to the exterior of these attractions.

Hollywood Boulevard, Sunset Boulevard, Streets of America, and the Muppets area are well-themed.

The park is patchy, simply put.

It is very patchy. But overall it looks better than Universal. That is all I am saying. And I am talking about exteriors, not the parks attractions themselves. DHS is not a perfect park and needs to total revamp. But over all, DHS is prettier and better themed than Universal, IMO. But I love both parks. And I actually prefer Uni to IOA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom