Things Disney fans let Universal "get away" with...

Mickey_777

Original Poster
I've had this topic in my head for a while so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

A popular sentiment nowdays is that Universal Orlando Resort is crushing WDW lately cause they're building like mad while WDW's projects move slowly and/or ultimately leave much to be desired. Much of this is justified yet I feel there's much to leave you shaking your head at UOR and I see that many folks complaining about this stuff like they do for WDW related things (or at least I haven't read anything yet). This thread isn't meant to simply bash Uni but discuss why Disney fanboys arent' as hard on Uni as they are WDW or DL.

Off the top of my head:

-Transformers - It's an exact copy of what's at Signapore and Universal Hollywood. Tons of folks, including myself, aren't happy about a possible Carlsand clone coming to WDW yet I haven't read many people being unhappy about Transformers coming to Orlando. There's gotta be somebody out there not diggin' this move.

-Thematic cohesiveness - What's up with a Rock-music-in-your-ears rollercoaster swooping over New York city? How about the aforementioned Transformers being placed on the only available land they had in the vecinity of Shrek 3D in Production Central? What's being produced there? WDW fanboys kill DHS for similar things as this.

- Carnival games (Simpsons) - Who hasn't trashed Dinoland USA at AK for it's "cheap" carnival games like you would find at your county fair. Universal just built some of these using mostly 2D cut-outs.

- Shorter park hours, same price - Have either USO or IOA ever stayed open until midnight or at least past 8pm? If they do it's rare yet they charge what Disney charges. I understand it's really only MK that open till 12 but Epcot always a 9pm closer and DHS is regularly open past 7 as well. How does the value compare?

- Mini golf under a bridge - This one is sort of a personal pet peeve of mine. I just can't believe they stuck two courses under the bridge/walkway to City Walk. They could have just placed some nice landscaping there. It's just such odd placement IMO. How would have we reacted if TDO had put something like this at TTC (cant' really think of any other comparable location).

But here is the thing. Why don't we get all up in arms about some of the questionable things done over at Universal? Why does it seem like they can get away with stuff we'd never want done at WDW? Is it cause deep down inside we really don't like it as much as WDW? Does it really come down to the fact that we have an emotional connection to WDW and not so much with Uni? Is it like that relationship you have with your beloved son/daughter where you push them (often in a harsh way) to succeed so much it would seem your just a jerk? Yet the neighbor's kid gets a pat on the back even though they're doing "okay" at school/sports? I sorta think so...all of the above is my guess.

Anyhow, it's just something I had running thru my mind. Hopefully it'll make a good discussion.

GLaDOS

-Transformers - It's an exact copy of what's at Signapore and Universal Hollywood. Tons of folks, including myself, aren't happy about a possible Carlsand clone coming to WDW yet I haven't read many people being unhappy about Transformers coming to Orlando. There's gotta be somebody out there not diggin' this move.

Yes, they're cloning a big E-ticket...while simultaneously building 2 original, one of a kind E-tickets. Which is why I would think the cloning "problem" is overlooked.

-Thematic cohesiveness - What's up with a Rock-music-in-your-ears rollercoaster swooping over New York city? How about the aforementioned Transformers being placed on the only available land they had in the vecinity of Shrek 3D in Production Central? What's being produced there? WDW fanboys kill DHS for similar things as this.

I don't see the problem with Rockit. It's not located in New York, it's in Production Central, where it fits. Transformers is impossible to comment on considering it could go into 3 lands. And claiming it's too close to Shrek would be like complaining Tiki Room is too close to Country Bear Jamboree.

The front part of USF is a bit of a hodgepodge, but they are handcuffed by the park's original design, much like many of the problems that now face Hollywood Studios.

- Carnival games (Simpsons) - Who hasn't trashed Dinoland USA at AK for it's "cheap" carnival games like you would find at your county fair. Universal just built some of these using mostly 2D cut-outs.

Actually, the games are quite well done. I'd compare them to the ones at Paradise Pier at DCA. Themed to specific characters, rather than just the generic off the shelf ones. They include comedy, clever puns, and clearly had more thought put into them rather than just ploppinig them into the land.

- Shorter park hours, same price - Have either USO or IOA ever stayed open until midnight or at least past 8pm? If they do it's rare yet they charge what Disney charges. I understand it's really only MK that open till 12 but Epcot always a 9pm closer and DHS is regularly open past 7 as well. How does the value compare?

IoA is open till 7 every night on the off season, and USF has been open until 8 since Cinematic Spectacular started in the offseason. During peak season, IoA is open until 9, USF until 10. I don't see how it's any different than Disney's hourse.

- Mini golf under a bridge - This one is sort of a personal pet peeve of mine. I just can't believe they stuck two courses under the bridge/walkway to City Walk. They could have just placed some nice landscaping there. It's just such odd placement IMO. How would have we reacted if TDO had put something like this at TTC (cant' really think of any other comparable location).

Yes. How dare they use space in a creative fashion!

But here is the thing. Why don't we get all up in arms about some of the questionable things done over at Universal? Why does it seem like they can get away with stuff we'd never want done at WDW? Is it cause deep down inside we really don't like it as much as WDW? Does it really come down to the fact that we have an emotional connection to WDW and not so much with Uni? Is it like that relationship you have with your beloved son/daughter where you push them (often in a harsh way) to succeed so much it would seem your just a jerk? Yet the neighbor's kid gets a pat on the back even though they're doing "okay" at school/sports? I sorta think so...all of the above is my guess.

IMO, your topic is more to justify away the recent upswing in Uni popularity rather than really looking at the core issue, which is this:

Universal is aggressively and actively trying to better their parks in anyway they can, while Disney is sitting pretty patting themselves on the back.

kap91

You're not the only one that feels this way. While I commend Universal for most of the work they did with Potter (still not thrilled with an exposed steel coaster and some parts of the ride) the rest of both their parks leaves a lot to be desired when compared with Disney - especially when it comes to thematic cohesiveness. My guess is that since we're all such big Disney fans we want it to be 100% perfect, and anytime the competition does something good we like to point it out and complain that Disney didn't do it first, bigger, and better. Never-mind the context. Just a thought.

GLaDOS

You're not the only one that feels this way. While I commend Universal for most of the work they did with Potter (still not thrilled with an exposed steel coaster and some parts of the ride) the rest of both their parks leaves a lot to be desired when compared with Disney - especially when it comes to thematic cohesiveness. My guess is that since we're all such big Disney fans we want it to be 100% perfect, and anytime the competition does something good we like to point it out and complain that Disney didn't do it first, bigger, and better. Never-mind the context. Just a thought.

I'm still missing Universal's problem with thematic cohesiveness. Production Central is a problem, as is Twister in New York, but everything else is where it should be.

Californian Elitist

I would never compare Transformers with Cars Land (which hasn't even been confirmed yet). Transformers is one attraction, Cars Land is just that. An entire land. There's a difference between copying a ride and copying an entire land.

disney fan 13

I'm still missing Universal's problem with thematic cohesiveness. Production Central is a problem, as is Twister in New York, but everything else is where it should be.

Amen, Production central- rollercoaster about producing music videos, don't see a problem.

AswaySuller

-Transformers Tons of folks, including myself, aren't happy about a possible Carlsand clone coming to WDW yet I haven't read many people being unhappy about Transformers coming to Orlando. There's gotta be somebody out there not diggin' this move.

Any one unhappy that Carsland might be coming to WDW clearly hasn't been to the masterpiece that it is in DCA.

Most people aren't fortunate enough to ride both on both coasts so whineing about clones is kinda a 1st world problem...that approach seems very childish to me "ours came first so ours is better than yours"!

Mickey_777

Original Poster
I don't see the problem with Rockit. It's not located in New York, it's in Production Central, where it fits. Transformers is impossible to comment on considering it could go into 3 lands. And claiming it's too close to Shrek would be like complaining Tiki Room is too close to Country Bear Jamboree.

The front part of USF is a bit of a hodgepodge, but they are handcuffed by the park's original design, much like many of the problems that now face Hollywood Studios.

You're right. Rockit isn't in New York landwise, but it's there. Right in the back you see it swooping and coming around behind and even penetrating entire facades of New York. It's pretty bad. And I agree, the front of the park is a hodgebodge which is how I feel about the mini golf but that's just my opinion.

Actually, the games are quite well done. I'd compare them to the ones at Paradise Pier at DCA. Themed to specific characters, rather than just the generic off the shelf ones. They include comedy, clever puns, and clearly had more thought put into them rather than just ploppinig them into the land.

DCA's boardwalk games aren't without detractors either. But they are a step above these Simpson models.

IMO, your topic is more to justify away the recent upswing in Uni popularity rather than really looking at the core issue, which is this:

Universal is aggressively and actively trying to better their parks in anyway they can, while Disney is sitting pretty patting themselves on the back.

That's fine. But being as I created this thread, I can assure you what I want to do is find out why Uni fans let certain things slide that WDW fans wouldn't. One can assume that there just isn't the same sort of "passion" for Universal as there is for Disney parks. But I like IOA. Just IOA though.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Any one unhappy that Carsland might be coming to WDW clearly hasn't been to the masterpiece that it is in DCA.

Most people aren't fortunate enough to ride both on both coasts so whineing about clones is kinda a 1st world problem...that approach seems very childish to me "ours came first so ours is better than yours"!

I'll be there around the holidays to check it out. You're kinda right though...it does kind of sound like a 1st world/rich person complaining type problem since they can afford to go to both coasts. But as of right now, I'd like to stay exclusive to DCA.

GLaDOS

That's fine. But being as I created this thread, I can assure you what I want to do is find out why Uni fans let certain things slide that WDW fans wouldn't. One can assume that there just isn't the same sort of "passion" for Universal as there is for Disney parks.

No, I think the passion is there. I just think Uni fans aren't as retentive about every single little thing like Disney fan's are. I'm a theme park fan. Love both equally, with maybe a slight lean towards Universal, at least in Florida, as Disney wins outright in California.

Universal isn't perfect, but it's vastly better than most Disney fans give it credit for. It was floundering under a terrible ownership group in the early 2000s until 2011, and now is getting the love it deserves. You won't be able to recognize Universal Studios Florida and Universal Orlando Resort in 5 years time, and that's a good thing.

Walt Disney World, on the other hand, is stuck in idle with a brain dead driver. There's no vision for the future. I think the DHS plan could be a great one, but other than that, the resort is just stuck in the same gear it has been since 2000.

disney fan 13

You're right. Rockit isn't in New York landwise, but it's there. Right in the back you see it swooping and coming around behind and even penetrating entire facades of New York. It's pretty bad. And I agree, the front of the park is a hodgebodge which is how I feel about the mini golf but that's just my opinion.

DCA's boardwalk games aren't without detractors either. But they are a step above these Simpson models.

That's fine. But being as I created this thread, I can assure you what I want to do is find out why Uni fans let certain things slide that WDW fans wouldn't. One can assume that there just isn't the same sort of "passion" for Universal as there is for Disney parks. But I like IOA. Just IOA though.

Ok, I'll give you rockit but I'd say the mini golf works quite well ( winter summer land is in BB's parking lot so I don't know how you can hate on UNI for that one...). As for the games, they work where they are because that area is supposed to look like that ( and they are very well done IMO) and as for the passion thing... I'd say I'm very passionate about UNI ( been there 3 times in one and a half years and visit UNI boards every day, but whatever.

Mickey_777

Original Poster
Ok, I'll give you rockit but I'd say the mini golf works quite well ( winter summer land is in BB's parking lot so I don't know how you can hate on UNI for that one...). As for the games, they work where they are because that area is supposed to look like that ( and they are very well done IMO) and as for the passion thing... I'd say I'm very passionate about UNI ( been there 3 times in one and a half years and visit UNI boards every day, but whatever.

Okay I see your point about the look of that whole area including the ride. In that sense yes, it matches up.

When I say passion I mean passion as in those folks getting Horizons tatoo's...

wiigirl

I would never compare Transformers with Cars Land (which hasn't even been confirmed yet). Transformers is one attraction, Cars Land is just that. An entire land. There's a difference between copying a ride and copying an entire land.

So true...its a scale thing...(I think)
75.gif

Nickelodeon

I agree with all your points. Universal may have slightly better management than WDW at the moment, but it just has so many problems of its own.

I personally am not fond of either Disney or USF anymore and haven't visited either in quite some time now. While IoA is still enjoyable despite also having some flaws in its execution, the Studios has lost virtually all of the magic it possessed in the 90's to early 2000's. There's just nothing there I feel any emotional connection to anymore. Their latest offerings are getting less and less ambitious since they are so obviously being driven by what will be a guaranteed merchandise hits rather than what will make the coolest attraction. In other words, they're hardly taking any risks anymore. Transformers is a well-done ride, but Hollywood should keep it as their own little treasure and give people a reason to go there. There are so many stories you can tell with Transformers, and yet UOR chooses to duplicate the exact same ride with the exact same ride system. That's just being cheap and lazy as well as uncreative. In the case of Potter 2.0, it will be impressive, no doubt about that, but it will spiritually hurt the resort. One Potter area in two parks will throw everything off balance and overwhelm the resort. However, the only place I will admit they've improved in is that the quality of their merchandise has gotten so much better and less generic than before. There's still a few impressive and creative things there, like T2:3D, MIB, Horror Make Up, and to a lesser extent, E.T. (I have some issues with that ride as well), but those aren't enough to get me back into the park.

As for Disney, my thoughts have been pretty much already covered by many.

SeaWorld and Busch Gardens are really the only Central Florida parks I have any attachment to now, as unlike Disney and Universal, they've been able to change and expand without forgetting what made them special in the first place and without alienating demographics.

[/rant]

AswaySuller

My take on it is that I visit WDW a lot more than I visit DL so I'm more than happy for it to come to WDW same with an Indy clone.

lazyboy97o

The whole Simpsons area was already the worst of the carnies type experience. It's read more easily than the Chester and Hester's Dino-Rama. Why things work better than others are not as simple as you're trying to make it so your points work.

Speak for yourself.

No, I think the passion is there. I just think Uni fans aren't as retentive about every single little thing like Disney fan's are.
Personally speaking, I'm plenty retentive about both.

Nickelodeon

^When was the last time you were there?

It's been over three years since I last went to Disney. Universal, I stopped visiting earlier this year because upon learning JAWS was being scrapped in favor of more Potter, I knew right there that Universal was heading in a direction I would hate. So I decided to just pack it up and move on with my life rather than further torment myself over what once was. So far, I have not regretted that decision.

I'm fine with everyone else here liking Universal and Disney, as I can understand why some people would enjoy Universal's latest and upcoming offerings, so I hope no one is feeling insulted by what I'm saying. I'll admit I have extremely high expectations when it comes to some theme parks, the reason for that being I set them based off of what I've observed in the past.

I did forget to mention that, judging by the videos and pictures I've seen, I do like Superstar Parade. It has a lot of nice energy and spirit and adds some activity into the park, even though I think it should be a bit longer and represent more than just two recent Universal movies and two Nickelodeon shows.

SpongeBob StorePants looks great, has a lot of nice sight gags, hidden jokes and episode references, unique merchandise and thankfully, unlike Disney, didn't go overboard on the SpongeBob meet and greet and made it nice and simple, as it should be. In fact, if I ever find myself at Universal again, this will be one of the first things I check out, being the obvious Nick fan I am.

So I will give credit to Universal when I believe they've earned it, but I still just don't feel inclined enough to go back at this point.

TalkingHead

I've had this topic in my head for a while so I hope I'm not repeating anything.

A popular sentiment nowdays is that Universal Orlando Resort is crushing WDW lately cause they're building like mad while WDW's projects move slowly and/or ultimately leave much to be desired. Much of this is justified yet I feel there's much to leave you shaking your head at UOR and I see that many folks complaining about this stuff like they do for WDW related things (or at least I haven't read anything yet). This thread isn't meant to simply bash Uni but discuss why Disney fanboys arent' as hard on Uni as they are WDW or DL.

Off the top of my head:

Anyhow, it's just something I had running thru my mind. Hopefully it'll make a good discussion.

1. Transformers is a clone (and maybe they'll plus Orlando's version a little). A lot of people would have preferred a unique attraction, but at least it's a major, E-ticket type addition. That's more than you can say for Disney's current construction projects.

2. Thematic cohesiveness has never bothered me in the Studios-style parks. I don't really have a problem with it at DHS, except for the fact that the place just seems to be a hodge-podge of pop cultural offerings. Universal, for the most part, (Monster Make-Up, E.T., Mummy, Twister, Disaster) is still movie-centric. And Rip, Ride, and Rockit is a horrible coaster. Painful to ride, ugly to look at. No one, to my knowledge, is claiming that Uni is perfect. But unlike Disney, you can say they're trying to improve the parks, even if they make missteps along the way.

3. Carnival games? See the last statement.

4. I thought both parks stay open until at least 9 (or maybe 10) during summer hours.

5. I like the location of the mini golf. It adds some color and life to the area before you get to Citiwalk proper. Not sure what the gripe is on that one. And to be sure, resorts where space is a premium like Uni and Disneyland often find more creative solutions for locating new attractions than what WDW would do -- think the placement of Indiana Jones at DL versus Dinosaur at DAK. There's no question which uses its space more imaginatively.

JT3000

-Transformers - It's an exact copy of what's at Signapore and Universal Hollywood. Tons of folks, including myself, aren't happy about a possible Carlsand clone coming to WDW yet I haven't read many people being unhappy about Transformers coming to Orlando. There's gotta be somebody out there not diggin' this move

Is Transformers the most original option? No, but it's still another big investment in the parks, and it's replacing an empty building. I repeat: It's an E-ticket replacing an empty building. You don't have to ride it if you don't want to, but it's certainly not making the park worse.

They kill DHS because it's far worse in this department. And we don't even know which land Transformers is going in. If it's in Production Central, so what? It's already a hodgepodge anyway.

The "cheap" carnival theme at Simpsons is more blatant, and much more fitting than at Dinoland. That's why the theme works, and that's why the new games are actually a logical addition. Dinoland's problem isn't necessarily the carny aspect by itself, it's the fact that Dinoland is an ill-conceived concept entirely. Especially for the park it's in.

If you wanted to complain about Universal's carnival games, you should've gone after the ones in IOA.

Disney's parks rarely stay open that late, and Animal Kingdom consistently closes earlier than either Universal park.

This is just nit-picking. Have you actually played either course? They work just fine where they are.

But here is the thing. Why don't we get all up in arms about some of the questionable things done over at Universal? Why does it seem like they can get away with stuff we'd never want done at WDW? Is it cause deep down inside we really don't like it as much as WDW? Does it really come down to the fact that we have an emotional connection to WDW and not so much with Uni? Is it like that relationship you have with your beloved son/daughter where you push them (often in a harsh way) to succeed so much it would seem your just a jerk? Yet the neighbor's kid gets a pat on the back even though they're doing "okay" at school/sports? I sorta think so...all of the above is my guess

I prefer Universal, so that's definitely not it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom