They're taking the Fun out of the Food & Fun Center.

XS-Spence

Original Poster
FYI... (sorry if this is a little late, I saw them lifting the arcade machines up to the 4th floor today from outside the atrium and thought anyone planning to visit may enjoy this info)

Here is the proposed timeline for the Arcade move for the upcoming week.

Tuesday 4/24: Arcade will close at 12:00AM.

Wednesday 4/25: All games being transported upstairs will be moved to the North end of the current Arcade and air lifted to the 4th Floor Observation Deck (9:00am – 9:00pm). The remaining games will be moved to the south end of the current Arcade and placed on free play for Guest use. A Cast Member will be available 7:30am – 11:00pm to provide Guest assistance and answer questions.

Thursday 4/26: Smaller games will be moved via service elevator between 12:00am – 7:00am. Games will be assembled, installed and tested in new location. Temporary Arcade is available for Guests.

Friday 4/27: Installation of Games. Temporary Arcade is available for Guests.

Saturday 4/28: Soft Opening (Hours: 7:30 – 11:00, Attendant will be present)

Sunday 4/29: Soft Opening (Hours: 7:30 – 11:00, Attendant will be present)

Monday 4/30: Grand Opening and ribbon cutting with Mickey Mouse and the Ambassador Team at 9:00am!

imagineersrock

Thanks for the info.

Is there any official word on what's taking the place of all that space downstairs once all the games are gone from the old arcade?

tigsmom

Thanks for the info.

Is there any official word on what's taking the place of all that space downstairs once all the games are gone from the old arcade?

When I spoke to the CM manning the kiosks in the concourse last month she said she didn't know what was going to go on there. She did say some new "state of the art games" would be going into the new arcade and that the plans "looked exciting".

daguru

I thought they were going to put a new restaurant downstairs (where the arcade is now)...

This is supposed to be the replacement restaurant for when the Concourse Steakhouse is engulfed by Chef Mickeys....

DigitalDisney

I suspect it will be transformed into a more open and modern food location. Maybe it will also have a shop next to it like the location over at the Beach Club.

jmuboy

Current news I am hearing:

- Food and Fun Center converted to an Asian Concept table service restaurant and bar to open this fall.
- Concourse Steakhouse will close after the new Asian Restaurant opens. Steakhouse converted to Chef Mickey's Express, a food court concept like the new Capt Cooks at the Poly.
- Not sure what will happen to the Outer Rim. It might remian as is.

PigletIsMyCat

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

Wait.

Concourse is closing? Let me crawl out from under my rock. I knew about Alfredos, I'm up on the SSE changes, and I have no real job, thus allowing me to peruse these boards at length. And I missed this fact? Can someone give me some more info, seeming as this is one of our faves? (Mind you, me, DH, and DMom are up to... err, 8 faves)

tigsmom

Wait a minute, wait a minute.

Wait.

Concourse is closing? Let me crawl out from under my rock. I knew about Alfredos, I'm up on the SSE changes, and I have no real job, thus allowing me to peruse these boards at length. And I missed this fact? Can someone give me some more info, seeming as this is one of our faves? (Mind you, me, DH, and DMom are up to... err, 8 faves)

No definite closing date, but yes it will be closing. There are better steakhouses on property now, seems it has outlived its purpose.

As for Chef Mickey Express...I have seen this posted, but I was told by a CM (so take it however you would like) that the space now occupied by the steakhouse will be "extra seating" for Chef Mickey's. :shrug:

I guess we will have to wait until its all built and opened to know for sure. :lol:

PigletIsMyCat

Well, yes, better steakhouses exist on property. Like Le Cellier. But for those of us with the unfathomable need for steak cooked by someone else, Concourse is a less pricey selection.

Not to mention the best sundae ever. A Mickey brownie with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream and hot fudge AND SUGARY MICKEY SPRINKLES.

The best.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

XS-Spence

Original Poster
Don't worry guys, We're retaining our Culinary cast for Concourse when it moves to the 1st floor and is re-named. Something tells me that you'll still be able to get a Sticky Mickey when it's all said and done. (though expect the new location to be one of our Signature Dining locations, similar to California Grill or Citricos.)

BTW, they've staked out and padded down an area on the site of the old North Garden Building, presumably to begin pouring foundation. I know the info is useless without pictures, but it does NOT look like the footprint of that 15 story building that was shown on the concept sketches that have been floating around...

kbmum

Between the time the arcade is moved and Chef Mickey's Express opens in the fall, what's going to happen with the food area currently in the Food & Fun Center? We eat quite a few meals there during our trips, especially breakfast, and I'm a bit panicked about the extra hassles if we can't pick up quick meals in the hotel.

Imaginationeer

I really miss Fantasia. 18 years of memories, all gone from my life. I even got my Phineas and Ezra lanyard pins in that store! Oh what fond memories. But the simple reason for the move is so it can be easily accessed from guests of the new north wing. The reasoning also eliminated the pin station and all meaningful pin trading nights at the resort.:veryconfu

Figment82

Nah, the pin trading nights have been moved to the Conference Center next door, and have been changed to only occur once a month. Bigger space, better lighting = less complainy pin traders. :)

Cattman96

I willl be starting my trip there on the 26th of May. I now it is loud with Chef Mickey's and the monorail running through there, but I am curious how much louder it will be with the arcade games on the 4th floor also? Any ideas?

Imaginationeer

Nah, the pin trading nights have been moved to the Conference Center next door, and have been changed to only occur once a month. Bigger space, better lighting = less complainy pin traders. :)
Actually, i have been to all the recent ones and have hated them! The fun is gone. The giant room has way too many people and doen't have that fun atmosphere that the old ones always had. And don't get me started on the tables at DD, that alway's have the same three people there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom