They Shouldn't Start the Ghost Host Spiel Until the Doors are Closed!

Yert3

Original Poster
I'd say about 95% of the time I go on HM, by the time I'm inside, the portrait is already decomposed and GH's spiel is almost finished. I know some people are going to give the argument "they need to get as many people through as fast as possible." But come on. At least have some respect for the attraction. They wouldn't start Tiki Room or Country Bears before everyone is inside. This isn't that big of a deal to me, but a lot of first timers won't see this pretty cool effect and that to me is sad. Oh, and what's the deal with everyone talking in the stretching room. Shut up and listen to Ghost Host! I can barely hear him sometimes.

KBLovedDisney

Totally agree!! The Haunted Mansion is my ultimate favorite attraction in all of Disney World, and regardless of how many times I ride it, I want to get to see every single detail that I can to take in. Also, I can't stand it when people walk in nowadays and are talking or are on their phones just not paying attention to the goodness that is the Haunted Mansion.:arghh:

danyoung56

I have a big problem with this. Another place where they do it wrong is at Soarin'. As Patrick is finishing his recorded spiel, the CM will loudly cut in with "ROW THREE FOLLOW ME, THEN ROW 2 THEN ROW 1". They really need to let Patrick finish what he's saying before jumping into their own spiel. I think the CMs on the line sometimes forget about the SHOW aspect of their job.

Last edited:

ABQ

I agree with the OP. I might feel differently if the walk from the stretch room to the doom buggie queue wasn't like grains of sand heading through an hour glass, but if it is, then no matter how fast they work guests from the foyer into the stretch room, it's not going to increase throughput and the bottleneck is almost always that queue of bats on the chain. So just slow the load into the stretch room, let the show play out as planned and the queue boarding the doom buggies will run smooth. Most it adds is 1-2 minutes to the overall wait time outside.

Captain Barbossa

I agree with this 100% especially when it comes to the portrait of Master Gracey. I feel like no matter if I'm the first, middle, or last one in, the portrait has already changed and the CMs are yelling at people (who aren't paying attention or screaming and yelling themselves) to get in the stretch room. Very hectic environment.

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Not sure if anyone knows, but could the entryway, stretching room, or both be on a timed loop to where the CM doesn't have any control over it and is simply trying to get people into the stretching room as quickly as possible so they can shut the door before the "stretching" effect starts?

pretty sure this is the case actually...

sgtbtlbailey

If my memory serves me correctly, I believe you have a better shot of seeing the full entryway scene if they're using both stretching rooms, but then the bottleneck issue is even worse...........

Yert3

Original Poster
Not sure if anyone knows, but could the entryway, stretching room, or both be on a timed loop to where the CM doesn't have any control over it and is simply trying to get people into the stretching room as quickly as possible so they can shut the door before the "stretching" effect starts?
Okay, suppose that it is. There are two solutions to this. Take it off of the timed loop and make that narration manually controlled. Or have the timed loop start the narration 20 seconds after the doors open as opposed to 5 seconds as it seems to currently be.

Yert3

Original Poster
This was changed with (or very shortly after) the 2007 refurbishment to increase guest flow. The Cast Members have no control over it, as the show cycle is now automated.

It's incredibly unfortunate and very very bad show.

You're right. It is very bad show. It's funny how Disney's four keys are safety, show, courtesy, efficiency. They need to swap show and efficiency with how they've been acting lately.

Castle Cake Apologist

You're right. It is very bad show. It's funny how Disney's four keys are safety, show, courtesy, efficiency. They need to swap show and efficiency with how they've been acting lately.

I couldn't agree more. If it looks like you're not going to make it in to the Foyer in time for the narration, just let people cut ahead of you and tell the Servant that you are waiting to be first in for the next show cycle. They're more than understanding and most of them are just as annoyed by the poor timing. Our Cast really does care about Show, but some issues are unfortunately out of their control.

mouse_luv

This was changed with (or very shortly after) the 2007 refurbishment to increase guest flow. The Cast Members have no control over it, as the show cycle is now automated.

It's incredibly unfortunate and very very bad show.

Well, now I know it's not the luck of the draw. :(

I couldn't agree more. If it looks like you're not going to make it in to the Foyer in time for the narration, just let people cut ahead of you and tell the Servant that you are waiting to be first in for the next show cycle. They're more than understanding and most of them are just as annoyed by the poor timing. Our Cast really does care about Show, but some issues are unfortunately out of their control.
I've been in line many a time as the first in and the spiel is already almost half through and it irritates me to no end b/c the HM is my favorite thing ever and I want to hear and see every detail when I'm there. Just bad show all around Disney. Grr.

Castle Cake Apologist

Well, now I know it's not the luck of the draw. :(

I've been in line many a time as the first in and the spiel is already almost half through and it irritates me to no end b/c the HM is my favorite thing ever and I want to hear and see every detail when I'm there. Just bad show all around Disney. Grr.

I would say that would be a Cast Member not doing their job right. The show cycle shouldn't start until around half of the guests have loaded into the foyer.

mouse_luv

I would say that would be a Cast Member not doing their job right. The show cycle shouldn't start until around half of the guests have loaded into the foyer.
Yeah, that's what I figured. A few years back we were first in first thing in the morning after rope drop and we still had this issue and I was like what the ?!! lol

Yert3

Original Poster
Nobody is blaming the Cast. I said "they" as in whoever is responsible. I'm not going to let people ahead of me, I know the narration by heart. I've been listening to it for 20 years. My concerns lie with first time people who will miss out on a cool special effect and miss the introduction to the whole attraction.

mouse_luv

I agree with this 100% especially when it comes to the portrait of Mr.Gracy. I feel like no matter if I'm the first, middle, or last one in, the portrait has already changed and the CMs are yelling at people (who aren't paying attention or screaming and yelling themselves) to get in the stretch room. Very hectic environment.
I kept reading your post over and over bc something wasn't striking me right with the Gracey part, it's Master Gracey. ;)

Last edited:

Marc Davis Fan

I concur with this as well. They're basically preventing a large percentage of guests from fully experiencing one of WDW's top attractions. I hope WDW finds a crowd flow solution that allows it to be changed back.

Another attraction with a similar problem is Dinosaur. The preshow is essential to understanding the attraction's storyline. It really cheats the guests (especially first-timers) to have the preshow already started when they walk in.

TDO should remember: the preshow is part of the experience.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom