They need to Eliminate Genie Plus and Lightning Lane

Jon81uk

They just need to take away the stupid rules with it and make it like Disneyland's MaxPass, even if it costs a little more money. I used that and loved it. The rules are what's making Genie annoying and almost useless at this point. I can't even keep up with them. I'm sure they have their reasons for them logistically but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm just scared they will end up doing what Universal does and charge more than the cost of a day ticket for fewer stipulations.

What stupid rules?
The main differences with MaxPass is that you can only use it once physically inside the park (not from 7am like at WDW) and there are enough attractions.

The biggest problem at WDW is that if everyone can afford to skip the line then effectivly no-one is skipping it. With more people buying Genie+ than there is capacity for them it means you only get to skip 1-2 waits. When FP was free that wasn't so bad because it was free.
Because Universal charge a high price for Express it means fewer people use it and all the lines move quicker.

LittleMerman

What stupid rules?
The main differences with MaxPass is that you can only use it once physically inside the park (not from 7am like at WDW) and there are enough attractions.

The biggest problem at WDW is that if everyone can afford to skip the line then effectivly no-one is skipping it. With more people buying Genie+ than there is capacity for them it means you only get to skip 1-2 waits. When FP was free that wasn't so bad because it was free.
Because Universal charge a high price for Express it means fewer people use it and all the lines move quicker.
That's true.

The rules I was referring to are only being able to ride each ride once and the 120-minute rule. MaxPass was more of a free-for-all with more limited rules on timing. When there are so many conditions for a service that people have to read websites and watch videos just to try to understand everything, it becomes very convoluted.

It's been out for months and people are still confused about how it works. Plus there are multiple new names and versions and things keep changing like buying it in advance. I've been trying to keep up with everything and I've even used it before and am still confused. Imagine someone going that doesn't keep up with the details and has to figure it out during vacation. That's not fun. Not to even mention the unfriendly UX of the MDE app in the first place.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's true.

The rules I was referring to are only being able to ride each ride once and the 120-minute rule. MaxPass was more of a free-for-all with more limited rules on timing. When there are so many conditions for a service that people have to read websites and watch videos just to try to understand everything, it becomes very convoluted.

It's been out for months and people are still confused about how it works. Plus there are multiple new names and versions and things keep changing like buying it in advance. I've been trying to keep up with everything and I've even used it before and am still confused. Imagine someone going that doesn't keep up with the details and has to figure it out during vacation. That's not fun. Not to even mention the unfriendly UX of the MDE app in the first place.
I agree with the people who say MaxPass won't work at WDW. But everything you're saying about this new system is spot-on and presents a huge problem for guests. I know there are those who believe Disney doesn't care at all about guest satisfaction, but I don't agree (although they seem to care much less than in the past). I expect there will be changes, but likely not enough to make a significant difference.

Jon81uk

That's true.

MaxPass also has the rule where you have to wait two hours or until the return window opens, same as the old paper FastPass.

Club Cooloholic

I agree with the people who say MaxPass won't work at WDW. But everything you're saying about this new system is spot-on and presents a huge problem for guests. I know there are those who believe Disney doesn't care at all about guest satisfaction, but I don't agree (although they seem to care much less than in the past). I expect there will be changes, but likely not enough to make a significant difference.
I think that is why they nixed booking it ahead of time after June 8th. My guess is they might have had guests that prebooked Genie for their whole trip and 2 days into the trip complained to guest services that they aren't able to make the reservations they wanted and want to cancel the other days. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened enough that they wanted it to now be a day by day thing, rather than dealing with the complaints and attempts at cancelling future Genie days.

Beacon Joe

I agree with OP, to an extent. Shut down Genie & Lightning Lane.

But FastPasses should be provided to everybody staying at Deluxe resorts, the Four Seasons, or who own property at Golden Oaks. That's the best solution IMO.

LittleMerman

MaxPass also has the rule where you have to wait two hours or until the return window opens, same as the old paper FastPass.
I didn't have to wait 2 hours when I visited in early 2019. We went from open to close at both DL and DCA and were able to use it around 15x/day. It was so easy to use, we loved it.

Kramerica

My biggest frustration is when people defend Genie+ by with claims like “it’s not that bad!” And “we found it useful!” Which totally misses the point. You know what else was useful? Fastpass. It was also free. Of course it’s preferable to waiting in a standby line, but so was fastpass and they didn’t charge for it.

I’m an advocate for standby only lines, it was wonderful for that short period of time when no skip the line feature existed. Lines moved smoothly and lines weren’t artificially inflated by people in line simply because they have a pass to skip the line instead of actually wanting to ride the attraction. Either that, or Xpress pass, which I love.

Jon81uk

I didn't have to wait 2 hours when I visited in early 2019. We went from open to close at both DL and DCA and were able to use it around 15x/day. It was so easy to use, we loved it.
You only have to wait the two hours (or maybe 90min) if the return window for the FastPass is more than two hours away, if the return window opens sooner you can book the next one as soon as the return window opens.
So if at 9am you get a FP for ToT with a return time of 09.30-10.30 you can book the next one 30min later at 09.30.
Then if the return window for the next FP is at 12.00 you can book one at 11.32 as that is two hours from when the last one was booked.
This was the case with paper FP and MaxPass.

LittleMerman

You only have to wait the two hours (or maybe 90min) if the return window for the FastPass is more than two hours away, if the return window opens sooner you can book the next one as soon as the return window opens.
So if at 9am you get a FP for ToT with a return time of 09.30-10.30 you can book the next one 30min later at 09.30.
Then if the return window for the next FP is at 12.00 you can book one at 11.32 as that is two hours from when the last one was booked.
This was the case with paper FP and MaxPass.
Yup, convoluted. 😂 Hopefully, they come up with a new system.

MickeyLuv'r

I think you misunderstood my meaning. I was responding to someone who suggested that wheelchairs or mobility devices are the answer for everyone who has difficulty standing in long lines all day. As another poster pointed out, there are many people who may not need a mobility device for walking, but for whom standing in one long line after another would be painful and make the park experience more difficult.

I don't want to get into it in great detail (and for a condition I hope is temporary), I had to use a wheelchair to deal with the longer distances in the parks on our last trip. I wasn't treated poorly by any means, but using a mobility device is a challenge. There are people who would rather try to do without them for reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with feeling ashamed. I'm not sure how you got that from my post.
Perhaps I was misreading, but there seemed to be an age related assumption in your post, when you wrote, "not yet at the point of needing a wheelchair."

I was more trying to make the point that (everyone's) endurance varies from trip to trip, so we all make adjustments. Opting to use a mobility device is just one way to adjust. Another option is less walking/shorter park days.

I don't think WDW is forcing people to use a mobility devices, but WDW has removed park benches. Us too tired to walk/we return to the hotel =less crowded parks. The cynical part of me thinks WDW wants to tire us out.

Jon81uk

Yup, convoluted. 😂 Hopefully, they come up with a new system.
That system worked for 20 years at Disneyland and around 14 years at WDW. It wasn’t that convoluted as printed on the bottom of the FP slip or on the app it stated at what time you can make the next reservation. That was it, return between these times, get a new return window after this other time.
Disneyland continues to work that way.

Hcalvert

They should, in the process, expand the DAS pass qualification to qualify those who are 60 and older and those with physical disabilities that make it painful to stand in a long line such as arthritis, back pain, knee replacement, autoimmune diseases, etc. They can go get a return time that is the same as the estimated wait time in the standby lane and instead of standing in line, they can go sit on a bench, go shopping or dining, go to the restroom, go watch a show, etc while waiting in line.
For my upcoming trip, I qualified for a DAS with knee arthritis (I'm 40). They asked me two questions--can you stand for a period of time without pain and/or will a wheelchair alleviate my problem? My answer was "no" to both and I qualified.

Jrb1979

That system worked for 20 years at Disneyland and around 14 years at WDW. It wasn’t that convoluted as printed on the bottom of the FP slip or on the app it stated at what time you can make the next reservation. That was it, return between these times, get a new return window after this other time.
Disneyland continues to work that way.
Yes FP was simple. I will say Universal's system is much simpler. Really wish Disney went that route

Hockey89

They need to eliminate Genie Plus and Lightning Lane completely and require everyone, no matter how affluent they are, to wait in the Standby line for every single ride and attraction they want to go on with the exception of people with legitimate disabilities who qualify for the DAS pass in which they can wait the estimated standby wait time elsewhere. This way, the standby line will move a lot faster and it is fair for everyone. They do not need to allow the more affluent people to cut in the lines. Affluenza is not a real disability or a medical condition that is covered by the Americans With Disabilities Act.
No thanks. I'll pay to go ahead of you....

Jon81uk

Yes FP was simple. I will say Universal's system is much simpler. Really wish Disney went that route

and MaxPass was also the same simple as FP and Genie+ at DLR is also that simple, you just do it on the app instead of paper tokens.

I agree that going with the just turn up style of pass that Universal has is better in many cases, but it is also significantly more expensive. Of course the higher price means fewer users which makes the standby line move faster too.

Disneyland Paris has sort of combined both in that you can pay per ride to skip the line and the price is variable.

Last edited:

Grumpy4196

and MaxPass was also the same simple as FP and Genie+ at DLR is also that simple, you just do it on the app instead of paper tokens.

I agree that going with the just turn up style of pass that Universal has is better in many cases, but it is also significantly more expensive. Of course the higher price means fewer users which makes the standby line move faster too.

Disneyland Paris has sort of combined both in that you can pay per ride to skip the line and the price is variable.
It's only more expensive if you pay for it. It's a freebie with a stay at one of their Deluxe resorts. Which are close to the same rate as WDW moderate resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom